Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt design software >

Quilt design software

Quilt design software

Old 04-29-2014, 05:49 PM
Power Poster

I just got a new computer last week and my EQ5 is still in the old one. Made a pattern this weekend with colored pencils and it took nearly an hour. Yikes. Cannot wait until Jim can transfer it. I LOVE my EQ5.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:23 PM

EQ 7 for Mac came out last week and I ordered it yesterday from my LQS. The reviews are excellent. Just got my Mac a few months ago and so glad I waited for the new program instead of getting the migration kit. Can't wait to get started learning and already have the tutorials on QB bookmarked.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:25 PM
Power Poster

I've had EQ since it was on floppy disc and only ran on MS DOS. It's simple enough for beginners and advanced enough for professionals.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tashana View Post
Hello,

There has been lots of discussion about various quilt softwares available, and EQ looks like the most comprehensive one, although its user interface leaves lots to be desired. For those of you who make your own patterns, which software do you use? I am looking for something that is going to give me the most freedom in creating my own patterns. Paper and pencil are great, but a computer program would be better. Thanks a lot.
I do a lot of sketching with graph paper and colored pencils to have for future ideas. I also have Quilt Wizard which I bought with a 50% off coupon at JAF. I think that brought the price down to $15.00. If you're not sure that you will like using computer software for designing a quilt, wait for a 50% JAF coupon and spend $15.00 for Quilt Wizard (or whatever it's called). If you absolutely hate using this program, you probably won't enjoy EQ either. It's a good starting point to play with and decide if you enjoy creating on your computer or prefer to go back to graph paper.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:52 AM

Where can I find these lessons? I have the 5 but need some help. Thank you.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:31 AM

There are lots of tutorials in the internet. Just google EQ5. I also find that many EQ7 lessons will work with EQ5 also. If you want to watch a lesson try You Tube and type in Electric Quilt in the search.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by cmierley View Post
Where can I find these lessons? I have the 5 but need some help. Thank you.
They are posted under Tutorials on this Board.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...a-t195158.html

a lot of work went i to these! I , too, look forward to exploring them. I reloaded my EQ6 onto my note book PC since we are chatting about design software. I had to dust off my EQ6 manual! It had been forever since I played with it! I did have to perform an "update" from the Electric Quilt we site to get it to work on my newer PC. It works fine!

sandy
Old 04-30-2014, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by jokir44 View Post
EQ 7 for Mac came out last week and I ordered it yesterday from my LQS. The reviews are excellent. Just got my Mac a few months ago and so glad I waited for the new program instead of getting the migration kit. Can't wait to get started learning and already have the tutorials on QB bookmarked.
Jokir, the migration kit IS the full program. If you already had EQ7 for Windows, it's nothing more than a new license to use EQ on the Mac instead of windows. They were allowing current EQ7 users to upgrade to the Mac for a nominal fee, instead of having to buy a whole new program. EQ didn't want to charge current users the full price for the Mac version if they already owned EQ7.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:22 AM

Thank you ladies! I guess it is settled then. I want EQ7 for my birthday! Now I have to wait till September to get it
Old 04-30-2014, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by jokir44 View Post
so glad I waited for the new program instead of getting the migration kit.

Originally Posted by cindi View Post
Jokir, the migration kit IS the full program. If you already had EQ7 for Windows, it's nothing more than a new license to use EQ on the Mac instead of windows. They were allowing current EQ7 users to upgrade to the Mac for a nominal fee, instead of having to buy a whole new program. EQ didn't want to charge current users the full price for the Mac version if they already owned EQ7.
In other words, if you already own EQ7, you could have purchased the migration kit for $25 instead of the Mac version for $190. They are the same product.

Last edited by Peckish; 04-30-2014 at 09:01 AM.