Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt design software >

Quilt design software

Quilt design software

Old 05-01-2014, 04:10 PM

I was thinking back to when I learned to use the EQ, hope my experience may help some that are just starting the journey. I know that everyone learns in their own way but sitting down and reading the manual cover to cover just doesn't do it for me. My method was just to start by copying a quilt. One from a magazine works but can just as easily be a any simple design. By working my way through the process of "inputting" a quilt I learned the basics in a very short period of time. To this day I am still learning, but for me, actually accomplishing the first quilt made the learning painless. In addition, if you get stuck, just ask and someone will jump in and help. Success to all that are just learning.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:34 PM

I am really computer challenged....bought a used version of EQ5 after I retired, and even I have had success! Long way to go, but I'll get there! As mentioned previously, Rhonda has put together a wonderful resource here....on the Tutorial forum...and she seems to be available 24/7 to answer questions! Rhonda is so gracious with her time and talent! Jump in....you won't regret it!
Old 05-01-2014, 07:43 PM

So, my IT proficiency may turn out to be an impediment of sort in mastering EQ7. I talked to a techie who own the EQ7 program and she is puzzled by its very cumbersome user interface.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:31 AM

I photograph blocks and then duplicate them in Photoshop to see how they'll look together. I also photograph fabric and use it to create borders and things. I find this gives the truest impression of the finished quilt.

I'm sure Photoshop Elements would work as well, but I happen to have the full package I purchased when I went back to college for awhile. Quite a few tutorials exist for using Photoshop Elements for quilting design.

Photoshop doesn't give fabric requirements, of course, but I can usually calculate that myself or use the Robert Kaufman app on my android tablet. I can draw foundation templates, but I'm not really a fan of foundation piecing (wasteful) so I don't typically do that.

I'm like Tashana. I'm from the high-tech world and didn't like EQ's interface either. I found it simple for doing basic things, but anytime at all difficult and it got really cumbersome and unintuitive and sometimes downright buggy. Of course, my EQ is quite a few versions old. I think that we techies have higher expectations from software than typical users do? We want to challenge it more?

Last edited by TeresaA; 05-02-2014 at 02:50 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:58 AM

I wish it was more intuitive. It is not.
sandy
Old 05-02-2014, 05:01 AM

My EQ 7 is in the trash can. The only thing it did for me is make me to never want another . My suggestion is find someone you know that has one and get them to demo for you. Before you ask - yes I am computer literate.