Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New fabric line is 16.50 a yard. >

New fabric line is 16.50 a yard.

New fabric line is 16.50 a yard.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:51 AM

Personally, I think the term"organic" is just another gimmick. If you use synthetic pesticides, that are just as poisonous as the other, then what's the point? It's just another sales pitch to suck the buyer in.. I really think that these high priced fabric lines are really geared toward designers and award seeking quilters not the ordinary, on a budget quilter like I am, but if you want it and can afford it, go for it..
Old 06-20-2014, 05:09 AM

This reminds me of the time a pest extermination company came to my door to try to get me to buy their services. I said I wasn't interested because I have dogs and cats and don't want poisons sprayed around my house where they might be affected by it. He told me, "It's okay, it's all natural." I said, "Right, an all natural POISON, which is still POISONOUS." He totally did not understand what I was saying. Natural does not equal safe - Momma Nature makes all kinds of potent chemical cocktails, some of which are extremely unhealthy.

I do believe in the "organic movement" overall, but it's still got a long way to go, I think.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:24 AM

I am from Canada and we pay $14.95 to &16.95 and up for 1 meter(39 inches) of what you pay 7.00and uder &10.00 for. I can't imagine what organic cloth would cost!
Old 06-20-2014, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

Just visited a shop where fat quarters were up to $4.00 a yard... Same thing at the other end of town $2.75.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:04 AM

I don't pay the LQS prices at $12-14 a yard so I know I won't be buying this one. I sew for fun and my fun doesn't take the high dollar prices. I shop at JoAnn's, GW and thrift stores and estate sales and Craigslist. I don't have a huge stash but plenty to make almost anything I want. As long as quilters keep buying the prices will go up.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:30 AM

When I lived in West Texas, one of my friend's family grew cotton. Even if the fertilizers are "organic", the chemicals used to exfoliate the plants before harvesting are not.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:44 AM

between 1995 and 2012 the US government (us) paid cotton growers $35,174,096,310.00 in subsidies.
To keep their costs down and be able to charge less that other countries can sell for here.
http://farm.ewg.org/progdetail.php?f...rogcode=cotton

This arguement reminds me of my grandfather.
Every time cigarettes went up he'd say too much, I'm going to quit buying them.
He died at 72 with a cigarette in his hand.

In ten years we'll look back and think 16 bucks was a bargain. Which it is now, compared to what the rest
of the world pays.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by ThreadHead View Post
I'm with you Skratchie. You would think organic would be cheaper, save on chemicals. lol Still like Marshall's best.

Actually, "organic" doesn't save on chemicals at all - it's just a different chemical. There are still chemicals involved.

And I will say that while I'm not necessarily happy about the increases in fabric costs since I first started quilting 10-ish years ago (they've almost doubled), I won't stop buying fabric. I may be a little more discerning, and I might order from online shops a little more. Honestly, though ... that's not necessarily an indicator of price for me - it's an indication that I cannot find fabrics I like locally. You'd think it would be easier in a place like Houston, wouldn't you?

Anyway, my point is ... I have seen the prices of fabric in the UK, and I'm still ok with our prices here. LOL I just won't pay more for so called organic fabric. Then again, if I really like it enough ...
Old 06-20-2014, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Wintersewer View Post
We have to consider what goes into pricing. Many things are cheaper in the USA because our government (TAXPAYERS) does not pay for so many things , for example health care and higher education. Although it seems like many many people look to the government (taxpayers) to provide so many things, compared to lots of other countries it does not.

There was a discussion about costs of higher education on one of my groups a few years ago, and I came to realize that those countries which provide "Free" health care and college, have much higher prices in general. As we all know nothing is free....the question is WHO pays, and WHEN. I can't recall which country we were discussing, but while they had astronomical fabric prices, college was "Free". And the gals from there decried our college costs, while we Americans decried their fabric costs.

This is NOT(!!!!!!) a political discussion....just a statement of differences.....I'm NOT saying which is "BEST". It's just a statement of facts as "I" see them. Maybe some of you who have such high fabric costs would check in with what your government (Taxpayers) provides for it's citizens.
Absolutely agree. We pay a fortune for fabric but the upside is my children have all had their university education free and if we are sick we don't have to pay medical bills. Because of this I don't mind our higher prices.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:16 AM

I find themed fabric very limiting and this line is not only limiting in that way, I didn't see many patterns. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right place. Either way, it's not for me.