Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your scaring me >

Your scaring me

Your scaring me

Old 07-14-2015, 05:20 PM
Power Poster

I have never been scared of doing anything to fabric. I won't live in fear.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:13 PM

I use the Frixon Pens all the time and have never had any problem with them re-appearing. I use my blow dryer to erase the marks and always wash my finished quilts before gifting. I have sent many quilts to cold climates (Utah) and have never had anyone tell me the marks have returned.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:13 PM

Yes, I use both the Crayola Ultra Clean markers & their Ultra Clean crayons (make sure to get the Ultra Clean washable, not the regular Washable markers). The crayons are a little easier to get out of fabric than the markers, but I haven't had problems with either. On occasion, they require a bit of hand agitation to get marks to come out while soaking, but that's really about it. I love them because I get 8+ colors (8 with markers, more with the crayons) so I can get a color that will show up on any color of fabric -- which is good since somehow I am like half-blind when it comes to my quilts.

I accidentally marked 6 applique squares today with the wrong pattern on Moda Bella fabric in Snow (white) & then had to wash out the marks. Bizarrely, the light yellow-green was the hardest color to get out (I had no problem at all with the dark blue, forest green & red-violet). Even still, I grabbed my Tide pen & 30 seconds later the problem was solved. Rinsed them out, tossed them in the dryer on low & I'm ready to try again with the correct pattern. Whoops!

Other ladies in my guild have been using the markers also & swear by them. We've had issues with Frixon pen marks coming back during those polar vortexes we've had the past few winters with sub-zero weather blowing down from the Arctic, but other than that, they work great, too.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:24 AM

Our 4 year old twin grandchildren use them all the time....they come out of everything they get them on. Have not tried them on a quilt yet. I wish we used them before our beautiful girl wrote on dining room chairs with ball point ink. Washable crayons are marvelous too! Will be trying the markers on a quilt soon. After testing on scraps.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:08 AM

I have used the Crayola Washable markers. They come in a fat or thin line, and I prefer the thin line for marking with my quilt stencils. As everyone has stated, try on scrap material first. If it washes out of that then you are good to go on your quilt. Have also heard NOT to use the red marker as it is a bit harder to get out. But all in all, I love them and have several sets.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:20 AM
Power Poster

Tartan you are a genius....I never thought of using my makeup pencil sharpener to sharpen chalk....Thank you. I have bought a pack of Crayola Washable and will be experimenting on a car quilt in the near future. Onebyone I am taking your advice....I will not live in fear!
Old 07-15-2015, 04:26 AM

After buying one of the larger packages of washable Crayola markers, I tested them all on scrap muslin. All the colors came out after a soaking in the water. Dabbing at them with a wet paper towel an cloth does not work too well; some of the colors ended migrating to other areas. Be sure to read the instructions...some packages say to wash with HOT water. I use the one that says to use with either cold or hot water.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:41 AM
dd

Yes, Bree, I've had more trouble with the yellow than any other color. Been using them for years. Once left a quilt marked for a year before I got to it. It all washed out without a problem. Use the glue too. Just bought some at Staples for 10 cents each. It says washable so I hope it comes out as easily as Elmer's does. Tried the Rose Art and that worked well too.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by TerryQuilter View Post
I use the Frixon Pens all the time and have never had any problem with them re-appearing. I use my blow dryer to erase the marks and always wash my finished quilts before gifting. I have sent many quilts to cold climates (Utah) and have never had anyone tell me the marks have returned.
I second this motion!
Old 07-15-2015, 06:16 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies. Very helpful as always.