Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help, "Glitter Fabric" >

Help, "Glitter Fabric"

Help, "Glitter Fabric"

Old 12-01-2017, 08:57 AM

I purchased a 2 yard piece of OLD (at least 10 years) cotton fabric (black with green 4 leaf clovers) and really coated with glitter. I washed in hot water, I don't think I lost a flake of glitter. I used on a Dino quilt, in 1, 2 and 3 inch strips, it turned out really cute, but not a bit of the glitter has transferred (I washed the finished quilt in HOT, to complete any shrinkage and check for sewing issues). It is now being used by a baby boy, and his Mom and Dad never even noticed the glitter fabric. It was easier on my eyes than the Black with White micro polka-dots I used on a previous Dino quilt!

I would say, wash the fabric in hot, and as long as the glitter doesn't detract from the design, let it ride. If it sheds, wash it multiple times. But I do feel for the gents who object to glittery undies! (Imagine the ER visit, right?) My Dad was traumatized when Mom washed a single panel of her RED velvet curtains with his whites, so I do understand!!!!

On the Environmental issue, maybe if more people request a design to be made without glitter, the manufacturers will start responding, after all, they create for us to buy!
Old 12-01-2017, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
if you take it to a laundromat wouldn't you be "infecting" the clothes of innocent strangers with the glitter you know you don't want yourself?
Thank you Patrice for saying what I am thinking.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:49 PM

PatriceJ, This made me laugh, I'm sorry but it struck me funny. True , but funny, the mere thought of "infecting innocent strangers with glitter''.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:44 PM

As someone who uses a laundromat on a weekly basis I would not be happy to spend the money to wash my clothes (family of four) only to have them covered in someone else’s glitter!

Sorry can’t help on the removing glitter option, I would probably hand wash over and over until it seemed reasonable. Best of luck with it!
Old 12-03-2017, 06:34 PM

I have used fabric with the "glitter" several times. I have not had any trouble with it. It has not washed out - did not have any problems with it on my other clothes at all. I really thought it was cute for little girl quilts.

maybe some brands are better than others??
Old 12-03-2017, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sephie View Post
Also wanted to note that glitter is considered a microparticle that our water treatment systems aren't equipped to filter out, and it is one of the tiny particles that is poisoning our oceans. Definitely not a judgment on you or your purchase, but was merely something I hadn't considered until recently.
I'm not sure how glitter could be a microparticle. Microparticles can't be seen with the naked eye. Water filtration systems had better be able to filter glitter out. My husband used to work with oil water separators to filter water. They filtered out things a heck of a lot smaller than glitter.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I'm not sure how glitter could be a microparticle. Microparticles can't be seen with the naked eye. Water filtration systems had better be able to filter glitter out. My husband used to work with oil water separators to filter water. They filtered out things a heck of a lot smaller than glitter.
http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...-a8056196.html