paypal experiences

Old 08-24-2011, 08:06 AM

I am always looking for sites that use Pay Pal as they have never given me any trouble and are very helpful if you need them.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:23 AM
QKO

You don't actually have to have a paypal account to pay with paypal. You can just pay through them using your regular credit card, and it's just like any other cc transaction at any store. And you'll have the advantage of having the protections afforded by using your credit card.

To pay without having a paypal account, you just need to go to the paypal.com home page and click on "send money." You'll be given the option to pay with a credit card, or pay with a paypal account.

Paypal, in addition to their regular account services, is one of the largest merchant services providers (credit card gateways) around. Many companies, large and small use them for their credit card handling. If you're shopping at a web store and have a choice between using paypal or a credit card, lots of times your transaction will go through paypal either way.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by QKO
You don't actually have to have a paypal account to pay with paypal. You can just pay through them using your regular credit card, and it's just like any other cc transaction at any store. And you'll have the advantage of having the protections afforded by using your credit card.

To pay without having a paypal account, you just need to go to the paypal.com home page and click on "send money." You'll be given the option to pay with a credit card, or pay with a paypal account.

Paypal, in addition to their regular account services, is one of the largest merchant services providers (credit card gateways) around. Many companies, large and small use them for their credit card handling. If you're shopping at a web store and have a choice between using paypal or a credit card, lots of times your transaction will go through paypal either way.
Thanks for the updated, to me at least, info on pay pal. It still seems like one too many steps and surely there is a charge for the service to someone (seller or buyer) in addition to the cc costs. I think a cc is more straight forward way to buy and still don't plan on using pp in any form in which I have a choice. Maybe I am too suspicious but...they have to be paid off by someone...buyer or seller. They don't operate "for free", of that I am sure.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

In most cases, the fee is paid by the seller.

Just like with credit card transactions. They are not "free" either.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:49 AM

I've been a PayPal client for about 9 years. There are two categories: BUSINESS and Personal. You will need to have a checking account at a Bank/Credit union. Or you may connect PayPal to a Credit card. I've never had any problems. It is important to make sure your payments are marked "Personal" so that you do not pay fees.

I have experienced PayPal as a secure and safe way to send and receive payments.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
In most cases, the fee is paid by the seller.

Just like with credit card transactions. They are not "free" either.
First, the seller has to add the cc costs to the cost of what they are selling and now they must add pp costs, too? Not sensible; this is just another way to increase the cost to the buyer and this BIG pp company is costing us and adding to the burden of both seller and buyer...not for me. I will buy locally or do without before I give another big company more of my money. I would rather give it to my local merchant.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:57 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by blueheavenfla
First, the seller has to add the cc costs to the cost of what they are selling and now they must add pp costs, too? Not sensible; this is just another way to increase the cost to the buyer and this BIG pp company is costing us
Wrong.

I will buy locally or do without before I give another big company more of my money. I would rather give it to my local merchant.
But I'm sure your local merchant always gives you a discount for paying in cash, right?
Because otherwise he'd be pocketing the cc fee he's already built in to his selling price.

Or maybe you pay with a debit card. Talk about high fees.

:roll:
Old 08-24-2011, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
First, the seller has to add the cc costs to the cost of what they are selling and now they must add pp costs, too? Not sensible; this is just another way to increase the cost to the buyer and this BIG pp company is costing us
Wrong.

I will buy locally or do without before I give another big company more of my money. I would rather give it to my local merchant.
But I'm sure your local merchant always gives you a discount for paying in cash, right?
Because otherwise he'd be pocketing the cc fee he's already built in to his selling price.

Or maybe you pay with a debit card. Talk about high fees.

:roll:
I NEVER use a debit card for a purchase and have only used one once to get cash when my husband's mother died and we were notified late on a Friday evening and we needed immediate cash for use in Michigan (gifts, tips, etc) in cases where we could not use a cc.
Whether or not I get a discount from my local merchant is of no importance. I would far rather support my local small business than to give pp money (which the merchant may pay first but who do you think ultimately pays????)
Old 08-25-2011, 03:56 AM

I have had a great experience over the years with Paypal. I use it to get paid for things I have sold on ebay and to pay for things here, ebay, etsy, etc. If ever I want to buy something and don't have enough money in the Paypal account, it is set to my personal checking so just draws from there. Or if I want to spend the money in Paypal somewhere that doesn't take it, I just transfer the money there into my personal checking account and use my debit card or write a check.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:18 AM

I have never really had any problems with paypal either; but it helps if U get the sellers email address correct :roll: