Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 05-07-2015, 10:46 AM
Banned

In my research it seems that the main difference is the design of the looper. Some do a 1/2 twist in the process, some do not. the twist locks it
Old 05-07-2015, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
you should actually try to pull that stitch. Most machines (like W&G) do a locking chainstitch that does not actually pull out like most folks think...
What I wouldn't give to get my hands on a W&G machine. They're just not seen here for some reason.

The stitch this one does is just a straight chain. It's probably because the machine doesn't use a traditional looper to make the chain stitch. I yanked that thread after I took the pics. They sold it as a tailoring feature for time saving while fitting garments. The write up on the second page of the manual says "World's first automatic that produces not only the conventional lock stitch, but also a single thread chain stitch which can be used for basting seams thus replacing hand basting. This feature will release you from time consuming work and it reveals new aspects so far non-existent in the overall picture of the applications of the modern family sewing machine." I love the propaganda of those days.

The manual shows how to remove the work so the stitch is secured and then how to remove all or a portion of the seam.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]519083[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]519085[/ATTACH]

The first time I played with the chain stitch on a 411G, I stitched, ripped it out, giggled like a maniac and then repeated a few times.

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I know Purina uses a single thread chain stitch on their bags (We just switched brands, our dog was losing weight and I suspect they changed their formula.). That one pulls out. I read somewhere that farmer's wives used to save the feed sack threads for red work embroidery. I don't know how true it is though.
I have a Touch & Sew that will chain stitch but I haven't tried that feature yet. I don't know if it's secure or not.
Rodney
I've read the same actually. I don't recall where but there are some beautiful examples on google. Redwork is one of the styles of embroidery that I like the most. I know I'd never have enough patience for it but I do have tons of designs for my new to me embroidery machine. There should be a Kokopelli in blue in a similar style for Olivia in that package waiting for her.

I think the T&S should be the same process as this 411. Something about the way that you pull it to the right with that spare thread seems to lock it. Perhaps it performs a bit of a twist in that process.
Attached Thumbnails img_4108.jpg   img_4109.jpg  
Old 05-09-2015, 11:05 PM

Yesterday, I used my 1939 Singer 31-15 Treadle to make a small trash bag for my wife’s car. She hasn’t been able to find anything the right size to give her a place to put tissues and gum wrappers, without taking up too much room somewhere. I used a piece of old vinyl that a lady gave me. It’s old, but unused, and still in good condition. She gave me a whole bunch of it that had been cut into purse pieces, so it’s handy for little projects like this.

The custom trash bag is my gift to her for Mother’s Day.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails 20150509_01.jpg   20150509_02.jpg  
Old 05-11-2015, 08:26 AM
Banned

nice gift! Very cool!

here is the machine I worked on yesterday..
[ATTACH=CONFIG]519412[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]519413[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20150510_125848.jpg   20150510_152851.jpg  
Old 05-11-2015, 09:51 AM

Great idea CD! Steve that's rust on a whole different scale. The part you stripped is looking good!
I grew up in a Chevy family. The old ones are prone to rust, especially around the wheel wells. I kind of think they designed poor drainage into those areas on purpose.
Rodney
Old 05-13-2015, 02:08 PM

A friend brought a machine by and dropped it off with the wife a couple of days ago. The note on it says “Bad Tension”.

So, I put it on the bench, scolded the heck out of it, and put it in “time out” for a few days.....(can’t paddle them anymore, can you?)....

CD in Oklahoma
Old 05-13-2015, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

you put a machine in TIME OUT???? I think I would rather just deal with tension but then again I have been - old people - closely related - worst kind of tension........... you can't spank them or put them in time out BUT I can cook broccoli.... and I like broccoli...
Old 05-13-2015, 02:37 PM

[QUOTE=ArchaicArcane;7187577)
The 411G seems to be relatively common here. Possibly not as common as the 401A but more than the Rocketeers. I have had possibly 5 or 6 of them come through the house as machines I've bought/been given. I've also serviced a few that belonged to others. I don't know that I remember seeing anyone in the US post one here on the QB.

The 411G needed a little help but we overcame.

I have a 412G, bought online from Goodwill and picked it up in Tacoma. Paid $10 plus their other add-on charges. The tag on it said "Old Machine". Before I bid on it, I had found some info online, but darned if I can find that site now. I have not worked on it yet, but have tried over and over to find a manual, only to see a manual for an industrial 412U. Are you familiar with the 412G?
Old 05-13-2015, 06:46 PM

I'm familiar with a 421G. The 412G, I've not heard of. The 421G is similar to the 431G but it doesn't chainstitch. So, that makes it an open arm version of the 401G, or really not much different than a 401A except that it's an open arm machine. It has the same hook and bobbin case as the 401A or probably the 401G so it won't chain.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
I'm familiar with a 421G. The 412G, I've not heard of.
This is definately a 412G, looks like an economy version of your 411G with the fin on the upper left, same tension set-up, extra loop guide near the thread takeup, internal motor, and the odd pull slide for the bobbin winder. It does not use removeable cams. The top piece of the housing is a yellowish caramel color, but the rest is the creamy mocha color. It has the knock-out for a treadle, but sits in a same color pan that the case latches to. What I'm guessing is the thread guide for the bobbin winder is more of a stripped down version than what is on your 411G, and there is not a shiny metal post just back of that bobbin winder slide as is in your's. There is no feed-dog drop that I can see. On the light housing, it says Singer. Horizontally above the light housing are three sets of slots; left to right, the first one has 5 numbered settings, probably needle placement. Second horizontal slot has two sliding knobs that unscrew to move. The third slot is for three different zigzag settings. The foot pedal on this one looks more like the accelerator pedal in an old car. Oh, and just to make everything more interesting, I found a set-screw rattling around inside the bottom. I put a few drops of oil in it when I first got it, haven't sewn with it yet, but it does move freely. I know, you all like pictures, but I don't have the camera to take them.

Finally, used the right search terms. There are photos at toolfool.org/sewing/German-400.htm

Last edited by elnan; 05-13-2015 at 08:10 PM. Reason: more info

FREE Quilting Newsletter