Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 06-21-2015, 04:37 AM

Yea, I don’t know why, but it seems like I’ve had a little ornery streak in me lately....

I’ll probably get brought back down to earth soon enough.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 06-21-2015, 03:54 PM

LOL I was talking about The Roberts I have no idea what vintage CD is.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:16 PM

Not much fiddlin' today. I sanded 4 support posts for a case I want to use for a Singer 15.

I must have 4-5 empty cases but the only one that seems to fit the 15 is the nastiest smelliest one in the bunch. It's one that came out of a storage locker and I initially threw out the case. Then I grabbed it back out of the trash and sprayed it with bug spray. Then ripped off the old paper and sprayed it with OdoBan. It's been sitting for a few months and still yuck. At some point in it's lifetime someone made a new case bottom for it and tacked it on but none of the joints were glued, so re-glued. The case top was damaged and coming apart on the sides, so that had to be repaired too. One of the hinges was bent, so had to replace the hinges with a matched set. Of course they didn't sink into the holes right, so some work had to be done there too. It's been a work in progress.

I think it is finally ready for some pretty paper. It's Father's day though so that can wait. Today we spoil dad.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by HelenAnn View Post
I have no idea what vintage CD is.
Think nice then nice it up a little
Old 06-22-2015, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

DH picked up a Singer 201 the other week. It was frozen. I took apart the sort of rusty bobbin area and cleaned it up, cleaned up the tension area and got a lot of gunk off the exterior. It is missing the gear cover widget for the bobbin area gears. The pressure bar and the feed drop are still frozen and it needs the motor area cleaned up. Then Glenn's FP and it should be a decent machine again. Not mint shape but it should be a good machine. Pretty good for not being able to lift more than a couple pounds.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
Not much fiddlin' today. I sanded 4 support posts for a case I want to use for a Singer 15.

I must have 4-5 empty cases but the only one that seems to fit the 15 is the nastiest smelliest one in the bunch. It's one that came out of a storage locker and I initially threw out the case. Then I grabbed it back out of the trash and sprayed it with bug spray. Then ripped off the old paper and sprayed it with OdoBan. It's been sitting for a few months and still yuck. At some point in it's lifetime someone made a new case bottom for it and tacked it on but none of the joints were glued, so re-glued. The case top was damaged and coming apart on the sides, so that had to be repaired too. One of the hinges was bent, so had to replace the hinges with a matched set. Of course they didn't sink into the holes right, so some work had to be done there too. It's been a work in progress.

I think it is finally ready for some pretty paper. It's Father's day though so that can wait. Today we spoil dad.
It *is* hard to say no to vintage parts, isn't it?
Old 06-22-2015, 08:56 AM
Banned

I was walking through the local college swap meet Saturday and saw a newer style Bent wood case Singer sitting on the ground with a bunch of rope around it. I knew that the machine was too new for my collection, but asked out of habit. The nice lady said that she had JUST told another man that inquired about it that if he could figure out how to get the rope untied, he could just have it... The gentle man proceeded to go through the effort and untied it, however, once he opened it he asked "What is it??" She replied "a sewing machine" he snorted and walked away.

So I asked ok, how much if I want it? she said "I'd be just as happy if you just took it away. So I did.

This is a Singer 99 "godzilla" that dates to April 1st, 1942 (very cool!)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]523113[/ATTACH]

But look at the rest of the stuff....
Most of a Featherweight Manual.
Singer threader and button hole cutter
REALLY old File
Old Curved pry bar looking thing
Box of attachments
[ATTACH=CONFIG]523115[/ATTACH]

I also found these for $5.... Can anyone guess what they are for?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]523114[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20150620_122514.jpg   20150620_124616.jpg   20150620_133731.jpg  
Old 06-22-2015, 09:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SteveH;723479l!)

I also found these for $5.... Can anyone guess what they are for?
[ATTACH=CONFIG
523114[/ATTACH]
With the fancy end on them I'm going to guess clamps for a pinker or toy machine.

Cari
Old 06-22-2015, 09:36 AM

Oh dear. That Singer gnomezilla looks partly parted out already. What are you going to do with the main body of the machine?
Old 06-22-2015, 09:54 AM
Banned

Cari - 100% correct!!

It is missing a belt, slide plate, needle clamp, presser foot, and tension. It is also equipped with the wrong bobbin winder/belt guard. All easy to get. I am trading the clamps for all of the necessary parts....

It is frozen currently, I will be freeing it up and getting it working and then give/trade it to someone.. (anyone! hehe)

the case is cleaning up really nice (got the left half done)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]523136[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20150620_210046.jpg  

FREE Quilting Newsletter