Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 07-12-2015, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I think you did a great job on the touching up. Far better than I could do. I know I would botch things up so I don't even try.
Rodney
Rebecca - I'm the same - I feel that sometimes my hand is not steady enough to do a clean touch up. You did a great job!!
Old 07-12-2015, 04:26 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]524974[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]524975[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]524976[/ATTACH]My first clone. After a light clean up she just needs a mild tension tune up.
HelenAnn
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 07-12-2015, 05:54 PM

Nice! An old Aldens. I know the brand was around a while. I'm not sure of their history but I think they, like many others, got their start by importing 15 clones. Pure speculation and guessing on my part.
If anyone knows better, please correct me.
Rodney

I forgot to add that Olivia and I worked on two machines. The first one was a pink Featherlite that was frozen up. It belongs to a friend of a friend. Kind of a neat little machine and it makes a great straight stitch. They're a clamshell design and use a class 15 bobbin. The only way you can oil or grease them is to open them up. Freezing up from dried/no lubrication seems to be a common thing with them. They also have a Yahoo group. If you get one of these machines, joining the group is very helpful. The pictures made it very easy to see what I needed to do. Olivia and i spent about an hour freeing it up and cleaning and oiling it.
The second machine is a Kenmore 158.16510. We spent some time cleaning and oiling it. It was bone dry and looked like it had seen very little use and no oil. I think it's all metal inside. No white plastic that I could see anyway and it's certainly heavy enough. It's running smoothly but there's a problem with the zigzag stitches that I'm still working on.
Once that issue is resolved it will be a really nice machine.
Rodney

Last edited by Rodney; 07-12-2015 at 06:06 PM. Reason: forgot to add some stuff
Old 07-12-2015, 09:06 PM

You all have been truly kind and I thank you for all the encouraging comments.
Today the only thing I did was wipe off a table and move my brother serger to it. Not a vintage, and one I paid way more than what was necessary to get a good serger. I just didn't know anything about sergers and wanted to get a good one. Now that I have it, I'm afraid of it. Plan to conquer that fear and start using the thing. I have trouble with 1 tension knob, let alone 4!!!! lol
Old 07-12-2015, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by RebeccaG View Post
Now that I have it, I'm afraid of it. Plan to conquer that fear and start using the thing. I have trouble with 1 tension knob, let alone 4!!!! lol
There's nothing to fear with a serger. I've written a few times about easy ways to "read" a serger test sew. It'll be in the vintage area, possibly talking about Singer sergers. Once you "get it", it's a breeze.

I really loved the Singer sewing reference book - "Sewing with an Overlock" - because the images are so well done and easy to see what needs to be adjusted. Definitely do some test sews with 4 different colors and you can start to see what needs to be adjusted. All the other reference links I have for you regarding tension, I can't post or they'll be deleted anyway.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:45 AM

Default Painting letters

Rebecca,

Have you considered the line of water base acrylics. I use them on all my craft items. There is an extensive line of colors including metallic. All colors in the attached photo are acrylics. You can find the best selection at Hobby Lobby and also at Wal-Mart.

Soman2

The other Rodney
Attached Thumbnails my-display.jpg  
Old 07-13-2015, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
There's nothing to fear with a serger. I've written a few times about easy ways to "read" a serger test sew. It'll be in the vintage area, possibly talking about Singer sergers. Once you "get it", it's a breeze.

I really loved the Singer sewing reference book - "Sewing with an Overlock" - because the images are so well done and easy to see what needs to be adjusted. Definitely do some test sews with 4 different colors and you can start to see what needs to be adjusted. All the other reference links I have for you regarding tension, I can't post or they'll be deleted anyway.
I will check out that book. I hope I do "get it". I have such a hard time finding clothes to my satisfaction in the store. I really want to make mine, without fear. I wanted a professional look and if I can conquer the serger I know I can do it. I will look for your posts on this.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:52 AM

Such lovely work Rodney. I do have a lot of acrylics, and they are my preferred for crafts. But wasn't sure with the metal they would be a good fit. I wasn't sure...so used what was suggested.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:33 AM

Rodney, I have a Kenmore 158.16510 as well - it's a great machine! The motor is a little more powerful than usual, I think. I got lucky and mine sewed fine right from the get-go...if you need photos of any innards or parts or anything just let me know! I tracked down a manual too, let me know if you need any photos of that. (I don't have a scanner.)

I like it, I think it's an attractive machine. Sweet and simple!
Old 07-13-2015, 06:48 AM

Thanks Sewnoma! I have the manual. It came with the manual, cams and a few extra feet. It's possible it's user error. I really need to sit down with it and the manual and make sure the settings are correct. I don't think anyone has done anything inside it except me. It's too clean. I don't think it saw any oil since it left the factory.

The hook assembly on mine is really finicky, it popped out of place inside the race a couple times on me now. Have you noticed anything like that with yours?

The only thing I don't like about the machine is Sears used the ugliest shade of green possible on their cases during that time. The machine itself looks great.
Rodney

FREE Quilting Newsletter