Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 07-13-2015, 06:49 AM

I forgot to add: Great work on everything on that table Rodney!
Rodney
Old 07-13-2015, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by RebeccaG View Post
I will check out that book. I hope I do "get it". I have such a hard time finding clothes to my satisfaction in the store. I really want to make mine, without fear. I wanted a professional look and if I can conquer the serger I know I can do it. I will look for your posts on this.
I think you will. If you can disassemble and reassemble a vintage machine, you can "get" tension even on a serger. I teach it in my classes and my ladies all leave understanding how to read a test sew and adjust accordingly. Serger test sews look different because they're usually an edge but the principles are basically the same. Loose loopers will always do "X", Tight will do "Y", loose needle threads will do "Z", etc.

I alter a fair bit of my clothes these days. I've been on an allergy elimination diet that's been changing my shape as well and nothing fits right now so I have to or I'd be replacing almost everything. Thankfully it's summer and mostly tanks and tees at the moment. If a serger can make me look competent, it can work for anyone.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:09 PM

My husband and I fiddled with the bobbin area of the Red eye tonight. Cleaned the rusty parts with a wire brush. Boy, was it dirty. Oily grunge, bugs, and cotton fluff. It's soaking now in Mr. Wrench penetrating oil. Then I've got to cut a felt to replace the one I mistakenly tried pulling out of the spring when we first brought the machine home. We're on the home stretch for the mechanical parts, but still need to French polish yet. Not really looking forward to the FPing.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
The hook assembly on mine is really finicky, it popped out of place inside the race a couple times on me now. Have you noticed anything like that with yours?

The only thing I don't like about the machine is Sears used the ugliest shade of green possible on their cases during that time. The machine itself looks great.
Rodney
I haven't noticed any finicky-ness with the bobbin or race, but other than test-sewing when I first got it I haven't done much with it. Maybe I'll use it today, I have a "sewing date" with a friend after work today and I was trying to decide which machine I should use! (I really love have so many fun options...such luxury!)

The case...yeah. Mine did come with a case but it's been to hell & back, lots of scuffs and scrapes. So it's 100% ugly regardless of the color underneath all the marks. I just don't really trust plastic cases anyway, that heavy-as-heck machine being held by aging plastic...I carry it from the bottom when I move it and basically just use it as a dust cover. It's a little broken-out on the inside too - I'd like to replace it.

I'm trying to convince my DH to get into woodworking so he can build a bunch of bases and cases for me but so far he isn't taking the bait. I will probably have to figure that out on my own if I want that to happen! LOL
Old 07-14-2015, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
I think you will. If you can disassemble and reassemble a vintage machine, you can "get" tension even on a serger. I teach it in my classes and my ladies all leave understanding how to read a test sew and adjust accordingly. Serger test sews look different because they're usually an edge but the principles are basically the same. Loose loopers will always do "X", Tight will do "Y", loose needle threads will do "Z", etc.
I was just given a modern Singer serger that has tension problems. My friend picked it up for free on Craig's list and assumed she could figure it out (she's an experienced garment sewer, but not really into machines themselves) and when it persisted to have problems she in turn passed it along to me. I don't think anybody has ever successfully sewed with this particular machine!

I've NEVER even used a serger before and I have heard they are a little tricky so I have to admit I'm a little intimidated by it. This machine has pretty terrible reviews in regards to tension so it might be a manufacturing problem; then again some people seem to sew with it just fine so maybe it's just fussy. It's still in the box right now. Kind of lurking, actually.

Nice thing is I have literally zero investment in this machine. If I totally screw it up I won't lose a thing, and if I fix it, I will have my first serger!
Old 07-14-2015, 07:06 AM

I’ve been fiddling with the Singer 20U Professional Zigzag machine that I picked up at an auction over the weekend, and trying to determine if the submodel number is 20U11 or 20U13. In the mean time, I’m getting a list of broken or missing parts together, and trying to decide which method that I will use to slow it down a bunch.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine586_05.jpg  
Old 07-14-2015, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I was just given a modern Singer serger that has tension problems. My friend picked it up for free on Craig's list and assumed she could figure it out (she's an experienced garment sewer, but not really into machines themselves) and when it persisted to have problems she in turn passed it along to me. I don't think anybody has ever successfully sewed with this particular machine!

I've NEVER even used a serger before and I have heard they are a little tricky so I have to admit I'm a little intimidated by it. This machine has pretty terrible reviews in regards to tension so it might be a manufacturing problem; then again some people seem to sew with it just fine so maybe it's just fussy. It's still in the box right now. Kind of lurking, actually.

Nice thing is I have literally zero investment in this machine. If I totally screw it up I won't lose a thing, and if I fix it, I will have my first serger!
I think they largely have a bad rep. Just because there are 4 tensions to think about instead of 2 - yes two! - and things that flail around, they are intimidating to many. I've learned that sewing machine reviews are almost useless too.

Tension is so misunderstood that if that's the predominant "problem" people report, I won't dismiss the machine until I have a chance to try it. In all the time I've been servicing, I've had three machines come in with "tension issues" that were legitimate machine malfunctions or missing pieces. And more than 90% of the machines I service are for "tension problems". Even people who've "been sewing since before I was alive" have brought me non-mechanical-issue tension "problems".

I do think the vintage Singer sergers (1980s ish?) are more robust than the newer Singer ones but my current serger (my first was a singer 14u64a) is a still current model Kenmore made by Janome that I lucked into for a smokin deal and kept after using both it and the Singer side by side. A lot of "tension problems" on sergers can also come from inappropriate presser foot pressure too - just like on a vintage sewing machine.

One day, I'll get around to adding a video about sergers and tension on them to my list of youtube videos. I'll go down into the studio and put it on the list today in fact. Once upon a time (less than 5 years ago), I'd never used a serger either. Now, the only thing that makes me hesitate is the time to change thread colors - which I do by tying off and pulling through - or the time to change from rolled hem back to regular hemming. Both are minor but I can make them pretty big in my head sometimes. Don't let it intimidate you, just go for it.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post

I alter a fair bit of my clothes these days. I've been on an allergy elimination diet that's been changing my shape as well and nothing fits right now so I have to or I'd be replacing almost everything. Thankfully it's summer and mostly tanks and tees at the moment. If a serger can make me look competent, it can work for anyone.
I will keep that in mind on the xy and z. I ordered the book off half.com. I am on day 10 of incorporating as much raw foods into my diet due to food allergies. I am finally starting to feel better having eliminated simple sugars, flour and meat. I'm not against eating these things. I love them... but my body can't handle them. Perhaps if I had organic meats I could handle it, but can't afford it. I am losing weight also, and neet to alter, so yes...got fix my own.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:37 PM

I think most problems for me are because I have made them big in my head.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:38 PM

Tammi thanks for the info on tensions. I also took a look in your blog. Great info.
Thanks,
Rodney

FREE Quilting Newsletter