Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 12-28-2014, 12:03 PM

LOL! Miriam when people say things like that, I just tell them sorry I sell working machines and I won't be able to help them out today.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
LOL! Miriam when people say things like that, I just tell them sorry I sell working machines and I won't be able to help them out today.
I'm to that point now, too.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I'm to that point now, too.
Can I "like" on this? Yeah, I tell them the same..mine actually sew.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:06 PM

Tell customers like that that they're welcome to go find themselves a $25 machine if that's what they want to do. After they put a few hours into trying to get it working maybe they'll understand the value of a working machine better.
Personally, I like cheap machines, but then I like working on them too.
Rodney
Old 12-29-2014, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

Maybe I should offer a few of the derelicts for $25...
Old 12-29-2014, 01:10 PM

Maybe I should offer a few of the derelicts for $25...
A Bottom of the Barrel Special

Jon
Old 12-29-2014, 01:17 PM

The support they require when you offer a derelict is often not worth it. I find the person who wants a $25 machine but doesn't know how to service it themselves isn't typically the one I want to spend hours and hours with fielding every single question they have because they bought it from me. I have been known to suggest that they find that $25 machine somewhere else and pay to have it serviced at one of the shops in town.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:36 PM
Power Poster

Is there really a working $25 machine??? I know people post all the time bragging how cheap they got some machine or another. Then I notice a week later they want all kinds of help on here and we all give them all kinds of free help. I think they could find out what they want to know just by reading old posts or searching. The info is out there. Some are not only cheap but lazy, too. Or else they are a pack of liars. I better watch what I say I might need help next week, too and you all will still be mad at me for sounding off. Back to fiddling for another 10 hours with the derelict 401 or that 301 I paid well more than $10 for and doesn't quite work correctly that someone thinks is over priced if it costs more than $25............
Old 12-29-2014, 01:52 PM

define "working"? If the stabby thing goes up and down and it may even make a stitch is all that it takes to meet that, then yes, there are a few. None of them meet my standard of cleanliness or mechanical fitness though. I've even had machines given to me that aren't "terrible" but I wouldn't put my name on them (i.e. I don't want to be the person they come to to fix what's not right) without 5 - 10 hours of rehabilitation and cleaning. I learned just before Christmas that some people have a completely different idea than I do of what's "acceptable housing" too.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:11 PM

Is there really a working $25 machine??? I know people post all the time bragging how cheap they got some machine or another. Then I notice a week later they want all kinds of help on here and we all give them all kinds of free help. I think they could find out what they want to know just by reading old posts or searching. The info is out there. Some are not only cheap but lazy, too. Or else they are a pack of liars. I better watch what I say I might need help next week, too and you all will still be mad at me for sounding off. Back to fiddling for another 10 hours with the derelict 401 or that 301 I paid well more than $10 for and doesn't quite work correctly that someone thinks is over priced if it costs more than $25............
I'm not in the least bit mad that you are sounding off. I think it is deserving. I have bought my machines for as little as $15 and as much as $150. There are only two machines that needed a lot of work. Most of them just needed to be cleaned, threaded correctly, the bobbin case removed somehow, etc.. I got a 15-125 in a cabinet for $25 because the bobbin case was completely stuck and neither of us could get it out. We even tried removing some screws. She had $50 on it but since I couldn't be sure that the bobbin case was okay and there was no manual or accessories I decided the leave the machine there. She really wanted to get rid of it so was fine with me giving her $25. That is probably the best deal I've gotten. I eventually got the bobbin case out and it was fine. But, I could have just as easily been looking at a machine that needed a new bobbin case.

FREE Quilting Newsletter