Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boom 15 "Rosebud" 3 month group >

Boom 15 "Rosebud" 3 month group

Boom 15 "Rosebud" 3 month group

Old 10-16-2015, 05:54 AM

January sounds good to me. I need to quit piecing and start the longarm. I had everything all caught up but now I have 7 or 8 to actually finish. That is the goal anyway....
Old 10-16-2015, 11:50 AM

It was me that commented to Janice about the fun being out of the swap....it just hit me at the wrong time but her email was VERY nice...what bothered me is she and I had already talked about the color of Jabas block being dark when she asked for light and I had already apologized for that mistake...then to say that a couple of people said my blocks were not 12 1/2 just kind of upset me because I went out and bought a ruler specifically for the swaps and I measured and remeasured the blocks before ironing and sending them out and I thought I had done ok....I cant take constructive criticism very well I guess.....anyhow it was a bad day and I probably shouldn't have even responded to Janice....I was TERRIBLE at blocks and sizing when I started with Boom 4....thought I was definitely improving and I guess I hadn't...I just never ever complain about a block I receive.. I DO NOT measure them for perfectness and I would never mention if a block was not to my liking because I wouldn't want anyone to think I didn't appreciate their effort..there have been MANY blocks I have not been able to use in the past but I still love them...Ive even gotten a block that was not sewn together all the way, puckered, etc but someone told me the maker was very old and was having trouble seeing so I never said a word....Im sorry Janice, I did not aim to offend you, just felt like it wasn't "fun" right at that moment....Not sure if Ill "play" again in 4 weeks because Ive got some medical issues that have to be dealt with immediately..just hope Im still here in 4 weeks!
Attached Thumbnails boom-9-lovinggramma.jpg  
Old 10-16-2015, 07:02 PM

Joan, so sorry you are having medical problems, sending prayers. Obviously you have lots on your mind, please keep us updated.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:28 AM

Ok Boomers, I have given this whole subject way too much thought for the time it deserves......however, you all know me...and when I opened my eyes at 5:45 a.m. after thinking about this all night - well I just have to share some thoughts and hopefully gain some clarity for going forward.

First, and most importantly for me is the respect and heartfelt gratitude I have for Janice who has stayed the course with us and without doubt made this the best Swap on QB. She has steadily raised the bar and the results are stored in Boomerang Gallery where we can see the blocks getting better and better....I know we all agree with that without exception. There is a book that came out several years ago, "Strive for Perfection...Achieve Excellence". A copy was given to all the managers at my office. After I read it, I learned that Expecting Perfection definitely had it merits, knowing that the likelihood of achieving it is just not possible %100 of the time. And to keep us between "the ditches" while dealing with her life situation....well what can I say....her love for this group is alive in all us.

Secondly, I love my Boomeranger Sisterhood. A few of us came together to celebrate this unique group the last week of September.....and what can I say.....it was like "Chicken Soup for the Soul". Six quilters coming together to meet face-to-face for the first time from far-flung ...and it was like we had known each other for many years....long lasting friendships were sealed...great memories. That's what happens when there is mutual trust and respect for each other....that only happens when promises and expectations are met.

Thirdly, Joan....I love you girl! You are my hero! It takes courage and character to raise your hand and say, "it was me"! But it was closure in many ways and we humans need that! When I read your post, I thought..."This is why we have a group of great people ....who we can invite into our homes for a visit - having never met each other in person. The desire to stay present in the situation - to be honest about who we are at this moment.....even if its not always "pretty".

I admit that when I read my feed-back e-mail just before going to bed, I felt like a big bag negative feelings about my ability as a maker of blocks had just landed on me like a piano! What????????, I thought! I had measured every block with my 12 1/2" ruler...and I had measured every square and squared up each square before moving on to the next one. I had felt proud to turn in my blocks. What the heck happened?????. I went back through my Boom 15 photos..trying to remember if there was one that stood out being "a scant" off. I was deflated and went to bed.

Now that a couple of days have passed....I have read all the posts.....I have decided to be clear on the difference between what is a hard and fast rule...and what is a general guideline....so that I can get ready for Boom 16 and get it right.

Last edited by Bee Beatty; 10-17-2015 at 05:47 AM.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:46 AM

A quick survey True or False:

1. The term "scant" used in measuring the required 12 1/2 inch square block is 1/8 of an inch.______.

2. Blocks that are more than a "scant" larger or smaller on any side , than the required 12 1/2 inches are deemed not acceptable_____ and should not be mailed without prior approval from the Block owner.______.

3. The above is a rule, not a guideline._______

4. I would benefit from a 12 1/2 inch block making tutorial ______.

5. Final measurements should always be taken before ironing.______.

5. Blocks received by Block owners that are not acceptable should accompany an explanation of how the problem could have been avoided._________.

Thanks to each of you who read my epistole

Bee is on Boomers Fall Break! Will post progress pictures here ....and stay in touch over the holidays..
Old 10-17-2015, 07:39 AM

Joan, I hope your medical situation improves. I am glad we are waiting until after the new year for the next boom, I didn't see how I was going to fit it in, hopefully we will all be refreshed and rearing to go after the first.

Bee I don't know if those questions are open or you are wanting "official" answers, but I always viewed 1/8 as scant, and I always measure and trim after I press, but I may be doing it wrong??

Ladies, this is my favorite swap, I'm glad to be a part of it, look forward to the next one. Janice does a great job organizing and keeping it straight. I am sorry for any disappointing blocks from me.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:39 AM

Kassaundra, this is definitely an "unofficial" request and I'm not sure it's even a good thing to put out there. I would discourage a response. If you, or anyone else, have any questions about anything pertaining to the Boom swaps, please feel free to email me. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
Joan, I hope your medical situation improves. I am glad we are waiting until after the new year for the next boom, I didn't see how I was going to fit it in, hopefully we will all be refreshed and rearing to go after the first.

Bee I don't know if those questions are open or you are wanting "official" answers, but I always viewed 1/8 as scant, and I always measure and trim after I press, but I may be doing it wrong??

Ladies, this is my favorite swap, I'm glad to be a part of it, look forward to the next one. Janice does a great job organizing and keeping it straight. I am sorry for any disappointing blocks from me.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:45 AM

What the heck is happening here? Geez, people! Everybody relax! This is the kind of stuff that makes me shake my head in wonder. And not in a good way.

ALL feedback I give is private and I will not discuss it online. If anyone has an issue with it, you MUST contact me privately.

For the record and for the last time this year, I do expect everyone to STRIVE for the 12 1/2 block. The minute I say 1/8 or 1/4 inch in either direction is ok with me, block size will start getting worse. I've seen it happen enough in these last 2 years to know it as fact. So, no, I'm not going to say a scant block is acceptable nor is one that's too big. The "Hard and Fast Rule" is this: Work for the goal of a 12 1/2 inch block. If you get to it most of the time, and you'll only hear praise from me. Make every single block 1/4 inch off and you'll definitely get an email from me asking you to measure, measure, measure.

If anyone has any more comments or complaints, it would really be best to direct them to me. Thank you.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:15 AM

Have a favor to ask ladies, need some help from your "higher power" My granddaughter has been having headaches and fever spikes, went to the doctor and they thought it was stress from selling house, buying a new one etc She had a seizure yesterday morning went into a coma and has not come out of it. MRI this morning but they are sure it is meningitis. They will decide on the best treatment today. Healing thoughts would be appreciated
Old 10-17-2015, 11:21 AM

You got it Jaba! Many good thoughts and wishes are winging their way west to you and your family. Please keep us apprised of how your darling granddaughter is doing!
Originally Posted by jaba View Post
Have a favor to ask ladies, need some help from your "higher power" My granddaughter has been having headaches and fever spikes, went to the doctor and they thought it was stress from selling house, buying a new one etc She had a seizure yesterday morning went into a coma and has not come out of it. MRI this morning but they are sure it is meningitis. They will decide on the best treatment today. Healing thoughts would be appreciated