Sewing Rooms - Smart Ideas

Sewing Rooms - Smart Ideas

Old 08-31-2010, 08:09 PM
Power Poster

Great idea Michael.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by damaquilts
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Here is the link to using the food containers that you never thought about. I love this idea.

http://stashmanicure.blogspot.com/20...our-stash.html
I love this idea . first I always thought there was something I could do with those strawberry containers and second I am going to be moving in with a lady who has lots of dogs and smokes. These will at least protect my fabric a little better than my baskets until I can afford to get closed cabinets.
Sorry, hon, but containers and closed cabinets won't protect your stash from the smell of cigarette smoke. A few years ago a local drug store owner was convinced to make his shop non-smoking when a customer came in and showed him that even the tampons inside a cellophane covered, sealed box smelled like cigarette smoke. It's able to penetrate most anything.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Cathysews
How did you do your closet? I had a room refinished to use as a sewing room and I had adjustable shelves put in the closet. Unfortunately, I can see the metal starting to bend and the shelf is starting to tip forward. _Too much fabric and "stuff" - I keep having visions of all those shelves tumbling down, one on top of the other. I want to have permanent shelves built in and I am trying to decide how I want them set up. Any advice would be appreciated.
Cathy
My regular clothes closet has a 10 foot long clothes rod that sagged, so my husband put an eye bolt through it and attached a chain to it and anchored it to a stud in the ceiling. Can you do something like that?
Old 08-31-2010, 10:37 PM

I am building a new sewing room 26'x28'. It should be done in about 1 month. I am thinking about putting in a Murphy Bed. That will be an extra bed for guest and I can pull it down to lay out a big quilt.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:33 AM

oh yes i thought that was you i had to look back at your pics and i would GLADLY take your sewing room even half i get the kitchen and i keep waiting for some klutz (will probably be me ) to spill something on my stuff you may not have all the nice fancy cabinets but at least you can move without having to move the chair move the ironing board oh yea wait for everyone to get out i was all set to move the boy to the basement to the man cave and take over his room best room in the house for light then the sil moved in and will probably be here for awhile (like forever) so there goes my sewing room. but at least i can sit here and drool over everyone elses.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by barbgooch
Since I'm not concerned about light in my sewing room (it's in the dungeon of my basement - no light penetrates!!) I store all my fabric in open "crates." They are the adjustable vinyl sided "boxes" that can be built to any height/width, etc. I use my 6" wide ruler to fold my fabric. It's just like using the cardboard bolts at the fabric stores. But after I fold it, I pull out my ruler and then fold them in half the other way. Two rows fit perfectly in each shelf. I also just love looking at my wall of color.

One other idea I use is under the bed shoe storage containers. Got them at Hancock Fabric. They hold "tons" of fabric!
purty purty purty my dh would have a stroke if he saw your stash@!
Old 09-01-2010, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by carolynjo
Here is how I handled the "no nails" restriction: I bought lumber tall enough to go from ceiling to floor (2 pieces for each side of my small closet. I marked these boards with a line and nailed in quarter rounds with the flat side up. Next, I cut shorter boards that would just fit inside the space created by the long boards. When the long boards were stood up and the shorter boards were slid in and onto the quarteer rounds, there was/is no way these will fall down. When I move, all I have to do is pull the short boards out and take out the long boards. No nails.
Clever!!!
Old 09-01-2010, 04:22 AM

What a superb idea - I'll be first in line to access that section! Judy
Old 09-01-2010, 04:26 AM

......and to think how many of these containers I have cut up for recycling. Oh woe is me. Guess I'll just have to start eating more so I can get the containers. Thanks for the suggestion.
Judy
Old 09-01-2010, 05:29 AM

[quote=angieh1964]
Originally Posted by barbgooch
Since I'm not concerned about light in my sewing room (it's in the dungeon of my basement - no light penetrates!!) I store all my fabric in open "crates." They are the adjustable vinyl sided "boxes" that can be built to any height/width, etc. I use my 6" wide ruler to fold my fabric. It's just like using the cardboard bolts at the fabric stores. But after I fold it, I pull out my ruler and then fold them in half the other way. Two rows fit perfectly in each shelf. I also just love looking at my wall of color.quote]

purty purty purty my dh would have a stroke if he saw your stash@!
And that's just one wall! I also have a closet full of bolts of fabric of three or more yards each stacked floor to ceiling, four bookcases filled, about ten totes (I'm still counting) full, plus two under the bed shoe storage containers (they supposedly hold 12 pair of shoes, but I can get about six to eight yards of fabric IN EACH SECTION!) They fit nicely under my sewing table. I'm still trying to find creative ways to store my treasures.