Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 12-17-2014, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by baronreads View Post
Question about borders, binding and backing. Is it too early to buy this? Will any of these things change based on the final design? I've been perusing fabric on MSQ but didn't want to jump the gun or buy something I won't be able to use. Thanks!
As has been mentioned ... Bonnie has included pieced borders in some of her quilts. Of course you don't NEED to use the same borders as she does, and she has even suggested that the "Bonus HST's" from method 3 could be used in a border for this quilt. There is a good possibility that I will incorporate the bonus HST's into my border somehow. Even if I don't use the bonus HST's ... there is a VERY good chance I will change the borders in some way. If I change the borders ... it could change the overall size. If I change the size, I need to make sure I have enough backing.

So for that reason, I personally am not going to purchase any backing for my quilt. I'll wait to plan the borders until I have a finished top and see what Bonnie has planned for the borders. I won't make a decision about binding until after I've placed the borders on the quilt.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:12 PM

Emma, I love that diagonal 'guess' block. And that crocus flower fabric is beautiful. You are using a green that I'm using, the one with yellow in it. I just love it and am thinking of buying more because it is on sale right now. In fact, that might make a good backing too. Hmmm.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:13 PM

[QUOTE=SueSew;7010652] My motto - Turn your face to the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.

Sue, love your motto.

Look forward to seeing your pictures. I used Bonnie's colors also but they are all just a bit different. I hope you feel free to share.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:21 PM

Whitepine: The green would also be perfect for anybody that has a Celtic Solstice that needs a backing.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:43 PM

Thank You everyone for your answers, I know it's a bit early to chose backing but I happened to find this one and it said audition ME!
Emma S I love your choice, spring crocus always makes me feel better, spring is on it's way!
SunlitenSmiles the black and white checked fabric sounds great, I want to see it.
I just spent a wonderful day with our 2 oldest grand daughters, just back from college for the christmas break, it had been 2 yrs since we had seen one of them. I brought all the fixin's for different kinds of cookies so we baked and talked and had pre-Christmas fun together. They just grow up too fast!
Old 12-17-2014, 08:17 PM
Power Poster

I agree, Emma your backing fabric is perfect!

Hooray I finished Clue 3 today. Don't know how I am going to pull off finishing Clue 4 next week before Clue 5 is out. So much to do before Christmas day I can't even think about borders/backings etc.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:00 PM

I finished pinning and started sewing clue #3 today. Even though my practice pieces measured correctly, quite a few of my two by four units are a little shy of 6.5". I'm not sure where the problem came in. I think I might be able to finish up with these tomorrow. If I do, it will be my first finished clue! I'm glad Bonnie urged us to try the chain pressing. I've never chain pressed before, but am really enjoying it.
Attached Thumbnails imgp8719_fotor.jpg  
Old 12-18-2014, 04:07 AM

I love seeing all your pieces laid out, Joesmom. I try to learn something new with each quilt I make. Well, I've learned a lot, but I have to say (so far) the Easy Angle ruler and chain pressing are my favorites. I have a few pieces that measure a little "off" also. I think I'm going to wait and see how everything goes together. I have extra fabric and can make extras, if necessary, but don't want to use fabric designated for another clue. Thinking tomorrow's clue will have some of the yellow? Can't wait.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:28 AM

Did not get to work on my #3 yesterday. how to get behind!!!!!. Got to really get on it today.Also got to make a choc cake for my DSIL.They will be here Fri from Florida to spend a couple of days with me.If that is my Christmas present this year I will be happy. lol
Old 12-18-2014, 06:24 AM

Thanks everyone for your positive input re the Crocus backing. I love that every single piece of fabric that is going into the GI is from stash, also true of my other two BH MQ. Do you suppose she creeps into my stash and has a look around, kind of like Santa? Oh, Oh, showing serious signs of being delusional.