Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When your married to an engineer there is no such thing as a "simple request" to make a big board ironing board >

When your married to an engineer there is no such thing as a "simple request" to make a big board ironing board

When your married to an engineer there is no such thing as a "simple request" to make a big board ironing board

Old 05-17-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by connie_1936
have the same problem,soooo, i went to home depot and they cut the 1/2" plywood to my measurements loaded it in the car and away i went. DH had to get involved so i marked where i wanted three holes drilled, one in the center of the pointy end of the old ironing board and 2 at the other end. put screws through the wood, covered the board and laid it on the old ironong board and bolted it down. it doesn't wobble still folds up and is easy to move. you can do it too.
I know I *could* do it. I've GOT the plywood!! What I don't have is the saw - it's at the shop (HIS shop!!).
Old 05-17-2011, 10:29 AM

Oh, your description of the event was so funny.....I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and figured that my hubby might need to take a "few" lessons from yours. My hubby's things turn out lopsided or unsafe with his idea of substitutions. In other words, don't ask my hubby to build anything. LOL
Old 05-17-2011, 10:30 AM

mercy. The memories! Father is an engineer. I subsribe to "wood magazine". I draw my drawings "exploded" like they do in those magazines.

If I ask him to cut my lumber (my wrists are weak, and no table saw), he invariably ask to see my drawing, informs me I drew it wrong, drafts a CAD/CAM drawing, reengineers it to "make it better", then I have a pile of useless lumber, because it won't do what I DESIGNED it for.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:30 AM

LOL!!! My DH is a wood worker, a quilter, and ALWAYS OVERBUILDS anything he makes!! If I say I want A, B, C, he does A, B, C, D, E, F, G..... LOL Gotta love 'em!!! :D
Old 05-17-2011, 10:34 AM

I just do the projects myself.. "can I please borrow your tools today?" or ask a friend to help. I like your idea of a cheep ironing board.... don't see any reason it wouldn't work.. and with a good cover, the board shouldn't warp, etc... of course, you can always apply a seeler to it...
I am sorry your hubby is giving you so much trouble... maybee pitching a fit will git it through his head that you want it "this way!"... that seems to work for me when my hubby gets bullheaded.
Make sure he knows that you love him and value his advice, but that you would like to try it your way, will he please help or get out of the way.... :wink:
Old 05-17-2011, 10:34 AM

My hubby tries to "help" me too. I started helping him. He is aretired carpenter and does small jobs. I know where he is and sometimes show up on the job to help him with my advice. He doesn't like it! Hmmmm. Does he get the hint? Well, sometimes, but I will keep it up as long as he does.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:46 AM

try telling an architect you want to lay out your own kitchen. HAH! like he'll ever cook.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by malindaann
OMG -- I had to laugh on that one too. My dad was an engineer, the 1st husband too. By the time the research and "testing" was complete, I had lost interest -- hey maybe that is the reason for so many unfinished projects :)
I had a print shop for 20 years. When the engineers were layed off near us, they needed resumes. didn't want to pay to have one done --just copies. Then they would measure the copies with a micrometer to be certain they were centered on the paper. My husband told one to leave one day. god Bless all you who stay married to them.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by sewmom
I, too amm married to an engineer. And I want a big ironing board-2 actually, so I can have one at the lake. When I told him about drilling the holes in it so the steam doesn't come back to the iron he said that you couldn't just lay it on the table because there would be no place for the steam to go. So I'm still waiting! Typical wait for something around here is measured in years not months or days.
My husband poo-poohed the idea of drilling holes to let the steam escape because he said with ply it would only give the steam more acess to the glue that binds the ply in every one of the holes.

Which is why he is now considering a marine varnish.

He did mention something about marble as well until I told him he'd have to pick it up and take it off for me every time he wants his clothes ironed ... or ... iron his clothes himself. I think it was the last suggested that struck home.

I think (?!?) he also looked at construction concrete board. Honestly.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:57 AM

I resemble your remark! Married to an engineer, love him dearly but I NEVER ask for help. Yes, I want a big ironing board but it will have to wait until he's not around. I have neither the time nor patience while the man reinvents the wheel. :)

I tell him his talents are better used elsewhere, so go play with his car. It works. I employ others to do things for me. Although I must say I never have car issues.

I must say I am fussier that him on certain things.....