Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
True cost of making a quilt, part 2 >

True cost of making a quilt, part 2

True cost of making a quilt, part 2

Old 05-30-2011, 04:29 PM

I'm getting my decimal places in the wrong place on the sq. inch part, but the final cost is representative. There aren't any LAQ's that charge a penny a sq. inch I'm aware of. I think the lowest I heard was 2 cts/sq in. for real simple work & 3 cents for regular computer-generated designs. Sorry!
Old 05-30-2011, 04:32 PM

If you use a Joann's 50% off coupon you should be able to buy enough Kona Supreme muslin for less than $30. That's one thing that seldom goes on sale.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by imadispatcher
Where do you get fabric at $5.00 yd
walmart and on connectingthreads.com
Old 05-30-2011, 04:40 PM

I have only kept track one time, quilt was 63x74 and material 120 and out to be long armed 95, that did not include thread and I did not keep track of hours. I try not to keep track
Old 05-30-2011, 04:43 PM

The last quilt (queen size) I made for me cost:

Fabric $158
Batting $54
Backing (used King sheet found marked down) $11

I took it work to show another person who is thinking of making the same one and had someone ask me to make one and she would pay me $100 I think my eye roll answered her question. I also make alot of baby quilts for gifts and try to keep the cost under $50
Old 05-30-2011, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by AnnaF
If you use a Joann's 50% off coupon you should be able to buy enough Kona Supreme muslin for less than $30. That's one thing that seldom goes on sale.
got three yds of the 108 in for 21.58. Hopefully it won't be on sale next weekend for the grand opening of the new store in Mt V ernon and I have a 50% coupon. Yes!!!
Old 05-30-2011, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by karate lady
Originally Posted by AnnaF
got three yds of the 108 in for 21.58. Hopefully it won't be on sale next weekend for the grand opening of the new store in Mt V ernon and I have a 50% coupon. Yes!!!
only had a 40% off for today. have to stretch my buying out a b it. smile :-P :-P
Old 05-30-2011, 04:47 PM

I quilt at a church here in town. Less than 10 minutes travel time=very little gasoline. They have a stash and I can use anything, fabrics, batting, their cutting mats, tables. Can use their sewing machine if I wanted to. I must supply thread. Make quilts for the children who go through confirmation at that church. Also, make purses, tablerunners, mug organizers, other bazaar items to sell in their annual bazaar. I purchased a few pkg of binding for the mug organizers, but didn't have to as they would have covered it. Basically I have the opportunity to sew at cost of thread. Over a two year period they pieced and hand quilted the quilt in my avatar for me. I purchased the batting & paid for the quilting. King size quilt $150. Took 2 yrs from start to finish. Untold number of hours. I cut it out, pressed, instructed others how to, restitched as needed, binding and label.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:02 PM
Banned

here is the thing about keeping RECORD, not really track of what the quilt you are giving costs you, AND the insured value of it.

#1- if it is a large quilt for a charity raffle, it can be used for a deduction
#2- if it is a wedding gift, etc, give them a full itemized list for INSURED value so they understand the value of it.
Especially if it is over $300.00..many do not realize the value of the gift and it is a quilt that could cost $$$ to replace in a fire, storm etc, the insurance company will NOT pay if you do not have the proper recorded value of it.

That goes for ALL Of your quilts/stash,etc...pix are not enough any more thanks to modern technology when anyone can produce a pix online and print it off and SAY it was theirs..you really need to keep GOOD proper documentation of EVERY quilt you make...whether you keep it or donate it, etc...
Old 05-30-2011, 05:09 PM

My last baby quilt cost were-$140. With professional quilting. Last full size quilt costs were $150. quilted myself.