Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Husband punishment >

Husband punishment

Husband punishment

Old 09-23-2012, 04:34 AM

[QUOTE=GailG;5531453]
Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
Mine shoves me in the store throws the VIsa card at me and says .......Have fun!!![/QUOTE
And mine says, "I'll wait in the car. Take as long as you like." He brings along a crossword puzzle book, but when I get back to the car, I have to tap on the window to wake him from his nap.
That's my DH too, LOL! Except for the times when he says, "Take your time I'm going to get a cup of coffee and wait for you in the parking lot." Those are the times I'm in and out of the shop quickly and have to stand around waiting for him to return.

Last edited by May in Jersey; 09-23-2012 at 04:46 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:39 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

My husband's famous words are "Get it, let's go". Everything I look at, he says that about it. He wants out of there fast. He doesn't like fabric stores except the one that has an antique store attached to it and a coffee shop inside. It's total punishment for him to have to go in a quilt shop with me. After he's sat in the car for so long talking on his phone, he'll come in to see if I'm ready, and he's "oh so sweet" and asks if I have everything and if I need to look around anymore, but I know he really wants me out of there. He's so funny. I'm the same way when he goes to the used tool shop. Oh no!!! I lay across the backseat of the car and close my eyes while he's in there. After so long, I go in and whisper, "please come out now" to him. So, we both feel the same way about our other's vices. And it's fine with me. If my husband was really into fabric and wanting to buy some, I'd feel like he was stepping on my toes. I'd be afraid he'd take over my sewing room. It's my sewing room. He has his shop. I like to keep them separate.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:45 AM

Perhaps she was only having fun with the situation. I thought it was cute. I've been married 47 years and I have this same since of humor. In fact, I have done something similar with my hubby and then decided after a while it just isn't worth him going to fabric stores with me because he just doesn't have a clue as to why we need (want) fabric, so I just leave him home.

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
I don't feel the need to "dole out" punishment to my husband. It's not right nor is it fair.

I guess I am old fashioned and don't understand this "new age" marriage thing about hiding purchases and punishing one's spouse for something.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:40 AM

I read your story to my Mr Smartypants and he just laughed and laughed......I purchase most of my fabric from Joanns on line so he just wonders when the packages show up...... LOL
Old 09-23-2012, 05:55 AM

Mine got the ultimate punishment years ago ... he went to the curb with the rest of the trash.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinglady-1 View Post
Perhaps she was only having fun with the situation. I thought it was cute. I've been married 47 years and I have this same since of humor. In fact, I have done something similar with my hubby and then decided after a while it just isn't worth him going to fabric stores with me because he just doesn't have a clue as to why we need (want) fabric, so I just leave him home.
I agree, I took it as her joking with him. I may be single now but the one thing that helped my marriage to last 26yrs was that we both had a sense of humor about alot of things. I think that's why we were attracted to each other. People who knew us knew we were joking around, others thought we were argueing. Too bad the sense of humor couldn't keep the alcohol from him. I love hearing couples who are like that in public; you can tell when it's a serious conversation by the tone and when its all in fun. Keep up the fun.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:02 AM

My DH does not like to go shopping with me, He knows I will not buy what I can't afford. He did go shopping with me to get a serger, He is the reason I got the one I did. He said if you are going to get one get a good one, lol....I was going to get the cheap one at Wal Mart but He told me not too. He does like to see what I might be making, He also praises my work. He just does not like to shop. We go to Harbor Freight together and both love it. I like tools too, lol....We never tell each other waht to do, we do talk about things though. We have been married for 45 years. I think we are doing something right, lol
Old 09-23-2012, 06:04 AM

My Dh would never set foot in a fabric store. He says there is nothing there to look at. He either sits in the car or goes to a different store or doesn't come along to begin with. Love the punishment!
Old 09-23-2012, 06:40 AM

My DH always asks me if I'm buying enough fabric -- I overheard him comment to one of our kids about my last purchase (well over $300) for fabric. His comment was that I don't buy jewelry, and I absolutely love quilting, so why shouldn't I buy what I want? He is one of the best blessings in my life....we've been married over 38 years.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:05 AM

When I began quilting, I bought my husband a book titled, "Help Lord, I Married a Quilter!" or something like that. My DH read that like it was the Bible of warnings to prepare for. It had a list of top 10 'levels' that would indicate he was 'beyond help' -- some about going to quilt stores or quilt shows, etc. Very cute.
Well, he decided he wouldn't go 'too far' and just lets me do my shopping on my own. Though he's always supportive and never comments on my spending as I pay my own fabric/quilting bills. He even helped me tally up costs for year-end records. I thought he'd voice concern....no.
I'm so grateful.