Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Husband punishment >

Husband punishment

Husband punishment

Old 09-23-2012, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by DebbE View Post
My DH always asks me if I'm buying enough fabric -- I overheard him comment to one of our kids about my last purchase (well over $300) for fabric. His comment was that I don't buy jewelry, and I absolutely love quilting, so why shouldn't I buy what I want? He is one of the best blessings in my life....we've been married over 38 years.
My DH has a similar attitude only he says I have a long ways to go to catch up with him and his motorcycles! I did jokingly tell him that a long arm would catch me up nicely and that we really did not need a dining room. LOL I don't want a long arm because of the space one would take up. My regular machines and cutting table takes up enough as it is. I do have a Juki 98TLQ and DH is going to help me fix up my 6 foot table to where it's the same height as my machine so the quilts will glide smoothly when I quilt. Someone posted good instructions about using foam boards to do that plus they are light weight and can be easily stored. Looking forward to getting some big quilts done.

My DH is definitely a keeper!
Old 09-23-2012, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jim View Post
LOL I am the MR. Smartypants I wish my wife would dole out punishments like that...of course we are both fabriholics...and I'm not interested in any 12 step programs for it...LOL great story btw
LOL. You and my DH! I love the punishment she doles out! Fortunately, I don't have to, and my stash shows it. I tend to spend A LOT more when DH is with me, too.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:03 AM

When my husband and I go to buy fabric, he does the obligatory complaining, but I think there is more to it. I think deep down he enjoys it. He is reminded of when he used to have to go with his mother. He hated it then, so he says. I think he is proud that I do some of the things she did. I am too. She was only my mother-in-law for 7 years, but the lessons she taught me were invaluable.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jim View Post
LOL I am the MR. Smartypants I wish my wife would dole out punishments like that...of course we are both fabriholics...and I'm not interested in any 12 step programs for it...LOL great story btw
Simple solution, if you never walk in a store with your hubby you don't encounter such problems.

HOWEVER, mine now knows I'll be in the lighting or gardening section of DIY stores.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
My husband's famous words are "Get it, let's go". Everything I look at, he says that about it. He wants out of there fast. ....
LOL That kinda sounds like my dh. If I can't decide between two fabrics, he tells me to get both . . . "so we can go." He's very supportive, as long as he doesn't have to be too involved.

Needless to say, I prefer to shop alone. That way, I can pet all the fabrics, without feeling rushed.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by MattieMae View Post
This takes me back to the old days when the "bought them for the articles" excuse was given by geezers who bought PlayBoy magazines.
Yes, I assumed that's what her husband was thinking when he made that remark.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter View Post
Looks like this post is going viral! LOL

I threaten my husband with punishment all the time - I then grab his face and plant a smoocheroo on him and say "There - take that!" For some reason he never complains about his punishment.
I loved reading this! Sounds like the two of you have a great understanding. It's often too rare, unfortunately. Congratulations!
Old 09-23-2012, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
12 years ago, after retirement, I began quilting. DH didn't say much, but then I started a water color quilt for one of our daughters and kept running into visual problems (dull areas, blends of color that just weren't right, etc.) and I started asking him for help. At first he panicked and denied he could help, but at my insistence (my distress got to him) he stood next to me upstairs and looked down on the quilt and suddenly he said "The upper right hand corner is dull, the rest of the quilt is so vibrant!" I almost fainted. And the doc says he is color blind in several colors! We've both come a long ways since then but I still need help. I'll leave my sewing room and say to him "consultation" and he gets up w/o any hesitation and look at my "problem" and we discuss it. Sometimes that helps me see what to do, but often it is DH that comes up with the solution.

When we both worked I did the cooking and most of the housework. We livedin the country and he did most of the heavy outdoors stuff and I did most of the indoors stuff. Now he does both those because I quilt (of course I help a little :>). I used to feel guilty, but he loves the fact that I quilt, that all the kids and gkids have quilts I have made for them (they are my best fans). Only in recent years have I begun to realize that I was NOT a good cook! Nutritious food, yes, yummy, no. And he loves to experiment with spices and mixing different things and has become a much better cook than I ever was! We live in an apartment now so his wood cutting days are over (he made that decision when he turned 75 and said "enough"!).

It is easy to wonder about other people's marriages. DH and I use the terms "please" and "excuse me" all the time. I complement him on the dinner he's cooked (unless I'm so tired my brain is dead), and he wanders into my quilt room and admires what I'm working on. More importantly for me he does the math when I have a cutting problem. Just yesterday he helped me figure out how to do a complex (for me) design. I don't use patterns, they cost too much and too often they just confuse me (I'm getting old!). At quilt stores he has gone from "I have no idea!" to "This fabric makes me think of Mary!" or "You don't have anything like this color." He's come a long ways! He promised me 50 years and we still have 10 to go. Think I'll keep him!
What a lovely post! I love these stories! Congratulations on an obviously happy, working, marriage!
Old 09-23-2012, 10:11 AM

I think some of these posts could use a little of the humor you have in your marriage.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:33 AM

Ditto skowron5! It's a joke, folks, tongue in cheek post. The OP isn't actually punishing her DH. Get over it already.