Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm Upset!! >

I'm Upset!!

I'm Upset!!

Old 04-04-2010, 07:22 AM

No I would not and I really don't like that they were stupid enough to drop Kay. In fact I quit watching HGTV and DIY because they no longer carry any quilting or sewing program. :evil:
Old 04-04-2010, 07:23 AM

I would not buy something because a celebrity endorsed it ...
Old 04-04-2010, 07:30 AM

You know Grammy, I like a good vent! particularly if it involves the Manufactor believing the consumer is an idiot, maybe some are, but, I'm not. Just because the star of the moment is the 'face' of something doesn't make it better for me; nothing against Marie Osmond... I was right in front of the t.v back in the 70's watching her and her brother... oh, and I had a HUGE crush on Donnie!... But does she really sew enough to be an informed source? I've seen the ad, it's cheesy.... it doesn't ring true with me.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:47 AM

What I'm upset about is that we have never gotten a Kaye Wood show on our local Cox Cable! We have Nancy and Fons and Porter who alternates with Elenore Burns. I love all of them, but wish we had more sewing/quilting shows. Celebrity endorsements don't carry much weight with me. I am usually looking for the best product for the best price. I went with a Baby Lock Ellegante for sewing and embroidery and a Juki for free motion quilting. I LOVE them both.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:09 AM

Coming from a marketing background, I don't believe manufacturers or advertising agencies believe consumers are idiots. They're just looking for the best possible way to market their products. And with 9-pages, so far, of comments on Janome and Marie Osmond, Janome has received exposure on this forum. It's all about marketing.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

I don't buy ANYTHING because it is being "pushed" by someone famous. My high school civics teacher told us that when I was 14. It is just too easy to waste your money on something that was advertised by an actor/actress.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:32 AM

Why would they do something like that. Kaye Wood has much more to offer quilters. We have all enjoyed her quilting programs and books and hope to continue that.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
What I'm upset about is that we have never gotten a Kaye Wood show on our local Cox Cable! We have Nancy and Fons and Porter who alternates with Elenore Burns. I love all of them, but wish we had more sewing/quilting shows. Celebrity endorsements don't carry much weight with me. I am usually looking for the best product for the best price. I went with a Baby Lock Ellegante for sewing and embroidery and a Juki for free motion quilting. I LOVE them both.
For those who don't realize it, anyone can get a program to air on your local PBS as long as you have enough backing to fund it. Use your guild, or other sewing group or just a group of friends to commit to contribute and financially support the program of choice. Getting interest and money helps put it on the air in the first place and keeping the interest up and the money coming in helps it stay on the air. If your favorite program was dropped it was probably based on money...quilters unite!!!
Old 04-04-2010, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by kasmitty1
Coming from a marketing background, I don't believe manufacturers or advertising agencies believe consumers are idiots. They're just looking for the best possible way to market their products. And with 9-pages, so far, of comments on Janome and Marie Osmond, Janome has received exposure on this forum. It's all about marketing.
Exactly right! This discussion is a great example.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:25 AM

I suppose Kaye Woods spends a lot of time traveling, but what with performing in LasVegas, designing dolls for QVC, spending quality time with her large immediate and extended family, and everything else she is involved with, when would Marie Osmond have time to sew and quilt very much?

Though from a marketing standpoint, Janome probably made the better spokesperson choice with Marie Osmond. Kaye Woods isn't known outside of the quilting community.

I'm stilling thinking about a new Janome. Don't care who the spokespeson is.