Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm Upset!! >

I'm Upset!!

I'm Upset!!

Old 04-02-2010, 12:57 PM

We don't even buy clothing with anyone's name on it. When I see celebrity endorsement of anything I wonder how much cheaper it would be without the cost of that "name."
Old 04-02-2010, 02:45 PM

You guys are the ones that influence me. Now don't get the big head.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:01 PM

I have to admit when I purchased my Janome 9000 11 or 12 years ago, I didn't have any idea Kay was their spokesperson. It didn't affect my decision to buy at all. Nor did the current spokesperson affect my decision to buy a Bernina this go around. It's the machine and the machine only that has made me take out my wallet.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:10 PM

Hey, maybe Kaye retired?
Old 04-02-2010, 04:21 PM

Kaye has not retired, she was working hard at the Puyallup Expo. Even had a nice conversation with her, unfortunately, it was before I found out that she was no longer a Janome spoke person.

As far a not on PBS . . . some of that is the cost to be on PBS.... so some of the 'quilters' have gone to the internet. Heard that from Kaye and Shar Jorgenson (Heartland).
Old 04-02-2010, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
why trash Marie Osmond? how do you know whether or not she sews? do you live next door to her?

if Nutrasystem worked for her, why shouldn't she endorse it? more power to her for admitting to herself and the world that she had gotten fat. good for her trying to spread the word about something she knows works. and why shouldn't she get paid for that?

how do you know Janome didn't have a good reason to end its relationship with Kaye Wood. how do you know Kaye Wood didn't end it?

i'm reading a lot of huffing, puffing and opinion here, but not a single fact. :hunf:
Thanks Patrice...I think I heard someplace that Kaye Woods was looking to retire....When I go to the Quilt Show in Chicago, I'll see if I can find out some info....
Old 04-02-2010, 04:47 PM
Power Poster

I say everyone is entitled to their own opinion...we all have one. I buy what is best for me..period. I don't care who does or doesn't endorse it.

I figure most everyone else does the same...they do what is best for them. If Marie can make some $ endorsing products...more power to her...If Kaye is doing other things...more power to her!

If you want to vent...go ahead!!! It will make you feel better...and it still won't influence my opinion about what to buy either way.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 04-02-2010, 05:05 PM

I don't know the reason for dropping Kaye Wood, but I do know that Marie does sew. She has talked about this many times. When she was a child this is something special she shared with her mother Olive.
There is a real push to get teens and young woman interested in sewing. Perhaps Janome thinks they might relate better to Marie.

I think that celebrity endorsements are over-rated. I, like the rest of you couldn't care less what sewing machine any celebrity uses. If anything they risk losing a sale because the consumer doesn't like the celebrity they've chosen to represent their product.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:24 PM
Power Poster

Kaye Woods is a great asset to the quilting world but honestly the new younger market of upcoming quilters will not respond to her very easily. That's just business not personal.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:00 PM

Marie or not, when I buy a new machine I want a Janome. I don't know any celebrities. I've met Eleanor Burns and she seemed like a lovely person and probably is---that doesn't mean that throwing scraps over her shoulder onto the floor doesn't still irritate me. ;-)