Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm Upset!! >

I'm Upset!!

I'm Upset!!

Old 04-02-2010, 11:02 AM

I don't dislike Marie Osmond and I think it's great that she sews, BUT I will only give credibility to someone who I think uses a sewing machine (or anything else) like I do. A celebrity typically gets very little attention from me and I certainly don't buy anything they endorse just because they endorsed it. I also assume that a non-celebrity isn't getting paid huge bucks to endorse. They are getting some dollars to put their name behind a product they use and believe in.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Administrator

why trash Marie Osmond? how do you know whether or not she sews? do you live next door to her?

if Nutrasystem worked for her, why shouldn't she endorse it? more power to her for admitting to herself and the world that she had gotten fat. good for her trying to spread the word about something she knows works. and why shouldn't she get paid for that?

how do you know Janome didn't have a good reason to end its relationship with Kaye Wood. how do you know Kaye Wood didn't end it?

i'm reading a lot of huffing, puffing and opinion here, but not a single fact. :hunf:
Old 04-02-2010, 11:08 AM

I like Marie Osmond, actually have a lot of respect for her. She does quilt, btw...let me think on it a bit and I'll see if I can't post a link to some of her quilts...

I have to echo what Patrice said...
Old 04-02-2010, 11:20 AM
Power Poster

When I buy a product it is because I have done the research and found it to be the best product for me due to quality, features, price, fit..... If a "celebrity" I respect peddles the item, I may give that fact one extra point, but not more.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:22 AM

I couldn't care less what celebrity is pitching what product, unless I find the person in question (e.g. Paris Hilton) so utterly disgusting that I will refuse to buy anything they're shilling because I don't want any of my money finding my way into the offensive spokesperson's pocket.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
I like Marie Osmond, actually have a lot of respect for her. She does quilt, btw...let me think on it a bit and I'll see if I can't post a link to some of her quilts...

I have to echo what Patrice said...
Ditto!! Today on RR's show she had a girl there to show fashions that celebrities wear and I thought who cares what they wear. That was the dumbest segment I have ever seen.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:48 AM

I have seen her line of quilting fabrics before and I really don't care for the majority of them.
I love my Janome but I purchased it after reading reviews by owners. A celeb would never influence my decision to purchase. With todays economy I'm sure they are trying everything they can to sell.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:47 PM

Would love to see some of Marie's work.

And, celeb endorsements don't influence me. I see both the company's, and the OP's, point.

I own a Janome made machine. Purchased because it meets my needs and it's a lot of machine for the money.

I can't imagine Marie influencing the occasional sewer to purchase but then who would influence them? A young celeb from the tabloids? I think you'd have greater success with a Hello Kitty endorsement.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:54 PM

I think that perhaps Janome in order to compete needed to change it's imge a bit. I loved my Janome machines but changed to Brother a few years ago and have not regretted it. I think from experience that this may be happening a lot more than we know. Kaye has been in the business for some time and we loved her; but a newer generation of sewers and quilters just might be reached by Marie. I think we should not judge companies by their celebrity image, of course; but I also think we should not be too judgemental.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Banned

I wasn't dissing Marie Osmond, but just saying that I don't buy something just because.....
I know she sews. Doesn't she also have a doll collection that she 'makes'/endorses?