Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Quilt-Along  Block Placement/ Sashing/Photo Page >

The FWS Quilt-Along Block Placement/ Sashing/Photo Page

The FWS Quilt-Along Block Placement/ Sashing/Photo Page

Old 06-22-2011, 06:33 PM

Quilting Nonnie = what color fabric did you purchase for your sashing?
Old 06-22-2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Oh me Oh my!!!
I only started on this journey a month ago, so am way behind you ladies. This thread is a good one though, and has me already 2nd guessing what I have done.

I was going for scrappy, and wonder now if I should be working with a colour grouping and expanding from there. I won't re-do what I have done (15-ish?), though may re-strategize from here forward.

You all have some beautiful quilts! Nice colours and some new ways to think about sashing and placement. Thanks for the inspiration!
My blocks are scrappy, and I like the look of them. You will be surprised when you get more blocks completed, how they blend together.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:00 PM

well... for a month or so now... I have been hand sewing my sashing onto my blocks.
because somewhere along the line I decided "wouldnt it be neat to not have one single machine stitch in my quilt" :roll: I HAVE HAD BETTER IDEAS :roll:
So today I was sewing along.... and got to those those two darn basket blocks! and wouldnt you know! I sewed those handles on!!!

Im pretty proud of myself for not leaving it until very last :mrgreen:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-215475.jpe  
Old 06-22-2011, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by deranged_damsel
So today I was sewing along.... and got to those those two darn basket blocks! and wouldnt you know! I sewed those handles on!!!

Im pretty proud of myself for not leaving it until very last :mrgreen:
And did a pretty darn good job of it, too, so, yes, pat yourself on the back! Looks really nice.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:35 AM

DD I'm so impressed! I love hand sewing, wish I could do more. Your blocks are beautiful.
Evie, did you decide on a sashing color yet?
Old 06-23-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by violetsfarm
Quilting Nonnie = what color fabric did you purchase for your sashing?
I bought brown like in Laurie's quilt. Now that I've been seeing all the different colors everyone else is using, I'm re-thinking the color.

I've been doing a layout of the quilt, and mine has a lot of brown blocks and I'm not sure if the brown sashing will be okay. Of course I've already bought the brown, so that might be the deciding factor... :)

Deranged Damsel: Wow! Handsewn! Congratulations. And I haven't sewn on my basket handles yet; I'm impressed!
Old 06-27-2011, 10:09 AM

Whew!!! I just spent the last 3 hours laying out all my blocks in rows. I'm going to do them straight across (not on point) and did 9 across and 12 down. Oh, if you could see my house right now--chairs, tables, everything moved. This is a large project. I kept moving them around so the colors were spread out and no 2 busy blocks were together. I could have spent another 3 hours re-doing them but had to yell STOP!! After I placed some sashing strips between them it made it all "come together"--I'm so excited. It looks like a quilt, not 108 potholders. I didn't use my ugliest blocks but honest, even some I wasn't 100% happy about blend right in.
This note is just to encourage you all (yinz, if you're from Pittsburgh)--they look great when they're all together. I put them all in labeled bags so I can start sewing the rows together later this week. YAY!! (Can you tell I'm excited??)
Old 06-27-2011, 11:53 AM

Jan, that is so wonderful! I must have been so exciting to sit around and arrange your blocks. I can hardly wait.

Congrats & congrats again.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
Whew!!! I just spent the last 3 hours laying out all my blocks in rows. I'm going to do them straight across (not on point) and did 9 across and 12 down. Oh, if you could see my house right now--chairs, tables, everything moved. This is a large project. I kept moving them around so the colors were spread out and no 2 busy blocks were together. I could have spent another 3 hours re-doing them but had to yell STOP!! After I placed some sashing strips between them it made it all "come together"--I'm so excited. It looks like a quilt, not 108 potholders. I didn't use my ugliest blocks but honest, even some I wasn't 100% happy about blend right in.
This note is just to encourage you all (yinz, if you're from Pittsburgh)--they look great when they're all together. I put them all in labeled bags so I can start sewing the rows together later this week. YAY!! (Can you tell I'm excited??)
Woo Hoo Jan, your way ahead of me! I'm still moving at two blocks a week, and here you are all done. Plus you have them all quilted too. Wow, great work! I do have the 1st half of my quilt together and started quilting it, but our traveling and all kind of put a halt to that. I'll get back to it real soon though.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:29 PM

I just got through looking through all the pages of this thread to see what you gals are doing to finish your quilts! I must say..."they're amazing"!!!!! I am not as far along, but am taking notes as to colors and such...I don't know what I will use for sashing and such yet...still have some blocks to finish...

I'm inspired to continue! Thank you everyone!!!