Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Quilt-Along  Block Placement/ Sashing/Photo Page >

The FWS Quilt-Along Block Placement/ Sashing/Photo Page

The FWS Quilt-Along Block Placement/ Sashing/Photo Page

Old 06-11-2011, 11:44 AM

I've been missing for awhile, but still have been working on my quilt. Finished piecing, machine quilted sampler part with just a verticle/horizontal stitch line. Tried other things, too many puckers. Now I am handquilting a star design in the triangles. Then I'll figure out what to do with the border. Your blocks all look great! This is just a lap size.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-209973.jpe   attachment-210009.jpe  
Old 06-11-2011, 02:08 PM

That is fantastic!!! I love it. I like how you have it layed out. I'm also using black sashing but think I'm going to set mine straight, not on point. I love your colors and your blocks are great. Wow--great job.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:39 PM

Beautiful job Shamrock, wish mine was that close to finished :cry: but I am getting there
Old 06-11-2011, 08:30 PM

Great job Shamrock! It is so pretty. I did a lap quilt also with the first half of my blocks.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:38 AM

Great job!! I can recognize many of the blocks from doing them myself. Your layout is similar to what I am doing with my king size layout on the visual board. Still finishing up rows to set it together.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

Oh me Oh my!!!
I only started on this journey a month ago, so am way behind you ladies. This thread is a good one though, and has me already 2nd guessing what I have done.

I was going for scrappy, and wonder now if I should be working with a colour grouping and expanding from there. I won't re-do what I have done (15-ish?), though may re-strategize from here forward.

You all have some beautiful quilts! Nice colours and some new ways to think about sashing and placement. Thanks for the inspiration!
Old 06-22-2011, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
Planned on using dark tourquoise for my sashing, laid it all out, and it looked nice. Just "nice"-no drama or pop to it. So....here's what I came up with: black. I really like it but please tell me what you all think.
Jan are you going to use all 111 blocks?
Old 06-22-2011, 06:00 PM

Violet I probably have 211 blocks!! I'm so insecure that I made 2 or 3 of each LOL. I'm planning on doing mine in straight rows so it will (I think) be 10 blocks by 11 blocks so I'll only need 110. I'm going to go over to a church by me and use some of their tables and try laying it all out. Please tell me: do you think it will look awful if it's not on point? I just have a regular sewing machine to put this together on and I don't think I can do on point and keep it smooth.
Have you quilted all of yours yet? I love quilting 6" squares!!
Old 06-22-2011, 06:11 PM

Violet I probably have 211 blocks!! I'm so insecure that I made 2 or 3 of each LOL. I'm planning on doing mine in straight rows so it will (I think) be 10 blocks by 11 blocks so I'll only need 110. I'm going to go over to a church by me and use some of their tables and try laying it all out. Please tell me: do you think it will look awful if it's not on point? I just have a regular sewing machine to put this together on and I don't think I can do on point and keep it smooth.
Jan, I think it will look great in straight rows! Your blocks are so pretty and your quilting has been wonderful.

I can't wait to start quilting mine! I have to wait for paycheck to buy the batting, but I already have the sashing.

Stick with it, I say. You're going to love your quilt. >
Old 06-22-2011, 06:32 PM

I quilted each square, I have 100 made so far. I haven't bought my sashing fabric, and would like to use the idea of the yahoo group Diane. But those are on point also. I too have a regular sewing machine, and can't imagine finishing a quilt larger than a twin. I haven't finished a quilt that is full size. I usually do lap quilt sizes. So, this is a challange for me.
Not setting the blocks on point would look equally beautiful for the FWS blocks. I like how you have quilted your blocks.