Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Arthritis pain >

Arthritis pain

Arthritis pain

Old 04-27-2011, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62
Oh boy can I relate to all you guys. I'm 48 and with my whole life either playing the flute, typing, cross stitch, needlepoint, bowling twice a week and now quilting, my hands are taking a beating.

I think I have tendonitis in my left hand, probably mostly from bowling. Aspercreme really works? I've used Icy Hot, Ben-Gay and this stuff called Sombra natural paind gel that rolls on like a deodorant. I'll have to give Bio-freeze a try too, but I haven't seen that anywhere.
You can get biofreeze from a physical therapist's office without a prescription ... at least in Florida. I don't know if pharmacies carry it or not.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:51 PM

I had surgery on my right thumb 2 years ago (I couldn't hold anything heavy) at the age of 52, I have NO regrets, the recovery took about 6 months but now my left thumb is giving me the same trouble, eventually I will have it rebuilt. In the mentime, I have a steroid shot once a year, it is amazing the relief you can get.
Then, I use Aleve naproxen), it lasts for 12 hourse so not as hard on the liver as advil (ibuprofen)
My philosophy is why suffer, I am still young and don't want to be crippled by pain.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by IBQLTN
Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62
Oh boy can I relate to all you guys. I'm 48 and with my whole life either playing the flute, typing, cross stitch, needlepoint, bowling twice a week and now quilting, my hands are taking a beating.

I think I have tendonitis in my left hand, probably mostly from bowling. Aspercreme really works? I've used Icy Hot, Ben-Gay and this stuff called Sombra natural paind gel that rolls on like a deodorant. I'll have to give Bio-freeze a try too, but I haven't seen that anywhere.
You can get biofreeze from a physical therapist's office without a prescription ... at least in Florida. I don't know if pharmacies carry it or not.
I have purchased this at the massage office (Massage envy) and your pharmacy can order it for you if you ask.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:54 PM

Hi, Thanks for the info. I've had some of the inj but they only seem to work for so long. One trigger finger I had just wouldn't be helped so they did the release and the best part of that was it doesn't bother me anymore however each finger has one and the thumb is a different problem for which I've had the inj for and if I want to continue my ways I just deal with the pain and put the blue stuff on. I can't get the inj to often. the hand Dr I go tp said we'll keep your hands going don't you worry it's good for your brain to keep moving them the way you do. that's for all of us who refuse to give in to the pain and sit back and do nothing. good luck to all of us. Sue
Old 04-27-2011, 02:58 PM

I believe it is an inflammation of the joints. They may have a med to help her and they also have some creams over the counter I can't remember the name of one of them I had used but ask the pharmacist they can usually help you. good luck and hope something helps her feel better. Sue
Old 04-27-2011, 05:01 PM

Fortunately have very little Arthritis pain in hand...have had 3 hand operations: 2 carpel tunnel and 1 trigger finger. Advil works best for me when things don't want to work right without pain.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I warm them up with a rice bag first thing in the morning and then do simple/easy stretches to get them warmed up. I do this off/on all throughout the day.
I also have worn fingerless gloves to help keep them warm and the support feels good too.

Use your whole hand whenever possible and not just a couple of fingers/thumb to hold or grab something.

Take frequent breaks... :D:D:D
These are all great suggestions for those of us with arthritis!
Old 04-27-2011, 05:25 PM

I am a therapist who works in geriatrics, and I feel for you ladies. If your doctor says its OK, I seriously recommend taking fish oil. The Omega 3s can really help inflammation and while they can't replace the worn down tissue (Cartilage) it can help the pain quite a bit.

It also has other nifty benefits for your heart and your brain (it can really cut your risk of dementia!)...look into it!

As far as lasting heat, the paraffin can really help, it seems to penetrate pretty deep and those home spa things can be a good investment.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:11 PM

Thanks for the Omega 3 info my Dr just told me to take some but I was waiting to check with my regular Dr. I can't see it hurting anyone but it's always good to check. Sue
Old 04-28-2011, 06:07 PM

I can sure tell the difference from yesterday morning to this morning. I rec'd my arthritis meds yesterday in the mail. took them and it really helps with my leg cramps that make you feel like you need hydraulic oil in them. the creak and crack so bad. I also find that taking B6 and multivitamins every day help too.