Fabric Moratorium 2023

Old 02-07-2023, 09:26 AM

Sorry, didn't quite master the picture posting system,
Old 02-07-2023, 09:39 AM

Bitts&Pcs -- you saved your jpgs as pdfs but that's ok because the pdfs open fine. I remember that calico style fabric from the 70s! These are going to make beautiful quilts. Please post pics of your log cabins when you like. They sound fabulous! The off coloration of blues and reds of today's fabrics as compared to your 70s fabrics will make a great modern looking quilt, I suspect.
Old 02-07-2023, 10:25 AM

Ahhhhh! Massive fail here. I am working on Bonnie's mystery, decided I wanted to do my sashing with one constant fabric instead of scrappy. Now, my fabric for this mystery was from my stash. But, after auditioning all my neutral fabrics in enough yardage to do the sashing, I determined I needed to buy something that would work. So off I went to the quilt shop and came back with 1.5 yds of new fabric. Now, brace yourself, and a brand-new sewing machine! Yikes' I went off the deep end. Keeps snowing where I am, I must have had a very serious case of cabin fever. I told myself I really did need to get the 5.5 mm machine to make my piecing easier. OK, anyone buying my logic? Or do I seriously need a good self-inner inspection?
Old 02-07-2023, 10:44 AM

Sewingpup - I can buy that, as I am seriously thinking about purchasing another machine! I guess it all depends on how many you have though. If you only have one, then it's probably a good purchase. On the other hand, if you have a machine stash in addition to a fabric stash, maybe not so much.
Old 02-07-2023, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by ibex94 View Post
Bitts&Pcs -- you saved your jpgs as pdfs but that's ok because the pdfs open fine. I remember that calico style fabric from the 70s! These are going to make beautiful quilts. Please post pics of your log cabins when you like. They sound fabulous! The off coloration of blues and reds of today's fabrics as compared to your 70s fabrics will make a great modern looking quilt, I suspect.
Thank you, I will try again.
I thought I would use this challenge to NOT buy anything, to finish these, so it looks like maybe 2 lap quilts 36" x 36 "
Attached Thumbnails red-bitts-.jpg   red-log-cabin-4-sqares-1-.jpg  
Old 02-07-2023, 04:25 PM

Ibex94, nope never a shop owner but some of my quilting friends come here to shop it seems. Back in Oct 2018 I went on my 1st and only Quilt Bus Tour, even got my sister to join me though she doesn't even sew or quilt. Came home with 60+ partial bolts of fabric with no place to stash them. They've been in boxes, totes, where ever I could hide them (nope, not married either). Reason why I started giving away fleece, lace and ribbons and even fabrics just to make room for those partial bolts. Now they're in plastic totes under my quilt frame so I'm no longer tripping over them. Of course I've forget I have them until I can put them on the shelves. Here's an old photo of my stash and even that doesn't show you what's in the other room, the long 2.5 strips hanging up and of course, can't forget those procreating scraps under my cutting table which is 4x8 so that might give you an idea what I'm up against using my fabrics. I seem to gravitate toward scraps, orphan blocks and cut offs mostly.
Attached Thumbnails cotton-fabrics-9-2020.jpg  
Old 02-07-2023, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by woodland creature View Post
Sewingpup - I can buy that, as I am seriously thinking about purchasing another machine! I guess it all depends on how many you have though. If you only have one, then it's probably a good purchase. On the other hand, if you have a machine stash in addition to a fabric stash, maybe not so much.
umm...I have a small stash of sewing machines. I have two 9mm sewing/embroidery machines, one little 5.5mm that is pretty simple and doesn't have a knee lift which I have grown accustomed to with the other machines. (new one has that plus a few other cool things) I do find it irritating to piece on the 9mm machines, just too much fiddling. I have one pfaff passport 2.0 I just would like to give away because it mostly works until it doesn't. Had that in the repair shop and tech (who is a good one) could not find anything wrong with it. I just want it gone, but don't feel right charging for it and also don't feel right about just recycling it. I have a godzilla finish singer 66 which I really don't use, a long arm and a serger. So yep, I do have a stable of machine but...but...they all are somewhat different, aren't they?
Old 02-07-2023, 07:26 PM

Sewingpup - not that I want to be an enabler or anything, but they all seem to have different functions.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
I have one pfaff passport 2.0 I just would like to give away because it mostly works until it doesn't. Had that in the repair shop and tech (who is a good one) could not find anything wrong with it. I just want it gone, but don't feel right charging for it and also don't feel right about just recycling it.
You might want to connect with a local high school/4H club or other community group - I know that I appreciated having a donated machine when I was making costumes for school plays - it allowed me to avoid having to haul my machine back and forth but also gave me the chance to get kids involved and learning some machine skills...
Old 02-08-2023, 07:23 AM

Snooze2978- I love your sewing space. Looks great