Fabric Moratorium 2023

Old 02-15-2023, 02:56 PM

Julienm1 -- How did you do at the Project Linus meeting?

I have fallen off the wagon. I went to my local Goodwill clearance center and found a bin full of fabric. Sigh. I left the polyester behind but grabbed all the cotton. At $1/lb I cannot justify leaving it. Lots of older fabrics but I like scrappy so it will all work. I am going to my first guild meeting in my new town so I'll take some in case there is a give away table.
Old 02-15-2023, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rff1010 View Post
TIL (today I learned)
2 half yards of fabric + 1.5 yard fabric.
Cut 3" strips, make 6 strip sets.Subcut into 8" blocks. - should end up with 30 blocks. Very little waste assuming 42" WOF
Arrange into Rail Fence. 5 x 6.
center is 38x 45.5. Use remaining of larger piece for border and binding. I'm going with 4" cut. Final size should be 45 x 52.
3 days after work -
Day1 - cut and make strip setsDay 2 - subcut and make centerDay 3 - add bordersThis leaves day 4 & 5 to baste, quilt and machine bind. (I respect y'all who handstitch bindings, but that's not me)

So if you have medium sized bits and need a quilt fast.
This is the formula or pattern one of my volunteer organizations uses for donation quilts for our community homeless shelter. We you looking over our shoulder when they were sharing their "go to" pattern? Who cares it works and yes, it is fast, fast, fast!
Old 02-15-2023, 04:51 PM

Went to our guild’s community service day and came home with a couple of yards of backing, some batting and a couple dozen 5” squares. But still firmly in the wagon - or at least I will be when I finish these projects. The batting and batting are to finish a mystery quilt that I started last summer and fell out of love with it (all the fabrics were from my stash). Found it a couple of weeks ago and decided I couldn’t have all those blocks hanging around doing nothing, so I changed some things around and finished the flimsy last week. Because the group has already seen it, I’m pretty well committed to finishing it. The blocks came home to use with a piece of fabric that was left over from making a pair of scrub pants. Because the fabric is an odd shape, our group can’t use it unless it is cut into usable pieces. So I figure I’ll see how many 5” squares I can get and combine it with what I have for a donation quilt. I’ll post photos when they’re done.
Old 02-16-2023, 02:25 PM

Wow! Everyone has been so busy! I have only bought background fabric which is the best start for me.
I would like to be a bit more productive in the quilt making however. I finished a queen size quilt top and found backing for it. But I've stalled on a quilt which is on my frame that I need to finish.
I have found each year I'm doing a little better than the one before as far as fabric purchases. Nice steady progress is better than none. I've also found two new projects to do next and pulled fabric for them all from stash. Hope everybody is having fun with quilting!
Old 02-17-2023, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rff1010 View Post
TIL (today I learned)
2 half yards of fabric + 1.5 yard fabric.
Cut 3" strips, make 6 strip sets.Subcut into 8" blocks. - should end up with 30 blocks. Very little waste assuming 42" WOF
Arrange into Rail Fence. 5 x 6.
center is 38x 45.5. Use remaining of larger piece for border and binding. I'm going with 4" cut. Final size should be 45 x 52.
3 days after work -
Day1 - cut and make strip setsDay 2 - subcut and make centerDay 3 - add bordersThis leaves day 4 & 5 to baste, quilt and machine bind. (I respect y'all who handstitch bindings, but that's not me)

So if you have medium sized bits and need a quilt fast.
Please help me understand:
“make 6 strip sets”.
Question. how many strips am I to sew together ?

“cut into 8” blocks”
Question. blocks won’t be 8” square, will they ?
Old 02-18-2023, 04:03 PM

The strip sets are 3 fabrics sewn in a stripe. The subcut perpendicularly and yes it will end up 8" square. You'll get 5 blocks per width of fabric strip set. 1/2 yard is 18". So you should get 6 strips from each half yard piece. Better if it's 20" to start then you can straighten up before doing cutting.
Old 02-19-2023, 07:09 AM

Sewingpup. What new machine did you get?
Old 02-19-2023, 10:29 AM

Well, fell off the wagon this weekend. I needed to stop by my LQS to talk to my OSMG (old sewing machine guy) because my Singer 99 needs to be re-wired. Of course, he wasn't around but I had to wait a bit so they could dig up his phone # and address for me. And what did I find but the perfect background fabric ( a pale green Moda Grunge ) for a "future" applique quilt. So 3 1/2 yards came home with me. Move over girls, this old girl is climbing back in ........
Old 02-19-2023, 04:27 PM

Here is my latest finish from stash. It is about 5 and 3/4 yards out of my hands and soon off to Project Linus! Yeah, even the back was from my stash.

I am planning to jump off the wagon tomorrow morning for a stop at Shipshewana for some bargains and sales. I am taking a list with no room for random purchases. Planning a quilt for myself and going to pick up the required reproduction prints. Then I need some cuts for backgrounds and lastly backing for UFO's that are hanging in my closet. Save me a place, I will see you all tomorrow when I jump back on the wagon with my arms full..
Attached Thumbnails 2023-02-19-yellow-orange-donation-54x70-514-2.5s.jpg  
Old 02-19-2023, 04:41 PM

Beautiful quilt WMUteach!