Fabric Moratorium 2023

Old 04-29-2023, 08:51 PM

I came back to quilting and of course I fell off the wagon. I purchase most of my materials online, which means that every time I have a basket of whatever I need, I double check, if there is anything else I may want, to avoid paying the shipping cost twice. As you may guess, I ended up adding some fabric just for stash... An easy temptation, when I also have a head full of ideas (both new and those I got years ago) and it almost seems as if I was buying fabric for specific projects. Those promotional bundles of scraps and leftovers are particularly hard to resist, being a great way to enjoy many pretty fabrics without spending a fortune.

I plan to spend this afternoon doing a big spring clean of all my sewing supplies. To put literally everything out, remind myself of what I already have, think of a functioning order to put everything back in the shelves and boxes, add some labels, bring forth what should be done first. Since I have not seen a good part of my stash for a white I expect it to be as enjoyable as a shopping trip, with many discoveries, but no money spent! Plus an organized space as a bonus.
Old 04-30-2023, 04:41 AM

Vasilisa -- that sounds like a great way to avoid buying more! my most recent strategy is to ignore my emails and end some of my subscriptions, specifically to avoid fabric temptations. I am insanely busy with work and family right now so I am not missing my online shopping opportunities.

Reorganizing my sewing spaces sounds like a good idea for me, too. Thank you for the reminder! Some fabric enjoyment and rediscovery awaits. Happy Sunday everyone! It feels great being back up on the wagon!
Old 05-01-2023, 04:47 AM

As I've had to put myself on a no fabric buying since Nov 2018, then I lost my sewing mojo for quite some time. I'm now trying to catch up with the projects I started back then and I'm glad to say I did get to the point of bring them to flimsy stage waiting to be quilted. I've also almost have another one almost to that stage, just need to add the outer sashings and border. I did have to order more of the black sateen fabric which is actually a backing and I found it surprisingly at the SuperBattingStore site. So I bought enough to make a bed skirt for another project yet to be started. Anyway, as my scraps are mounting as we speak, I decided to use what scraps I had from Rob Appell's Burst Block project and make a couple kitty quilts from them. I was able to use the batik scraps for the side ruler ont he Tri-Rec ruler set but had to cut new zebra fabric for the center ruler. I put all the scraps I couldn't use into a plastic freezer back with a note explaining that these scraps could be used on the Tri-Rec rulers if so choose. That bag barely made it to their shelf before someone grabbed it, never to be seen again. Anyway, I'm glad to say I was able to use most of the scraps from that quilt for 2 smaller quilts that will go to that recipent as she has 2 kitties named Sherlock and Watson. Plus the rest of the sateen fabric will be used for the bedskirt and possibly in the quilt which will be a French Braid, finally a quilt for my personal bed.

Otherwise I've been very good about not ordering fabric plus I have enough battings to finish the 8 quilts still hanging up to be quilted and possibly the ones still floating around in the back of my mind.
Old 05-02-2023, 06:25 AM

Great job everyone on staying on the wagon and using your stash 1st. I enjoy seeing everyone’s projects. All so pretty NYD a gray way to use up your scraps/stash.

I have not bought any fabric in 2 months, other than BOMs. When I get a few items completed I will have more fabric out than in on my totals. I ran into a minor glitch on my completing my quilts. My sewing machine I use to sew on the binding broke. The little piece which holds the needle in place broke off. So I have another 2 weeks before I should get it back to finish up a few quits. Then I will post pics and totals out. 2 of the tops are 🛸 UFO.s.

Enjoy your day I hope it’s as nice as it is here.
Old 05-03-2023, 08:40 PM

On the drive home from this retreat, several ladies plan a LQS detour.Happy to report, I’m not even interested.
Old 05-03-2023, 09:05 PM

Before the retreat, I bought fabric specifically for this retreat and resisted purchasing extra. Glad to report all purchases have been used!….. wagon seat still occupied.
Old 05-03-2023, 09:39 PM

Petthefabric, congratulations on your strong will and productivity!
Old 05-04-2023, 04:23 PM

Whoo Hoo Petthefabric! Way to manage your stash!
Old 05-04-2023, 10:38 PM

Wow - so many great celebrations and tips. Thanks so much for sharing! Glad to have such great company on the wagon. :-) I'm currently eyeing two stacks of coordinating fabrics and trying to come up with plans that will use them up without my having to seek outside of my stash to finish them up. I've never been one for table toppers or bed runners (I think that's what they're called) but one of the fabric stacks is going to limit me in terms of finished size so I think I might venture into this new territory for a change. Hoping to share something more concrete soon...
Old 05-04-2023, 11:43 PM

I'm hoping if I post this early in AM no one will read it! Yeah, right. Have to onfess I bought 4 yards of fab from Jordan Fabric during their clearance sale. In my defense it was 4.99 a yard and yes I will use it. I'm NOT a Debbie Downer but I use lots of black in my quilts and many times I don't use boarders but instead just a binding in black to frame it.