Fabric Moratorium 2023

Old 04-24-2023, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by ibex94 View Post
Elly66 - that is a serious stash buster pattern! Congrats on using up that much in one quilt. I would love to see your quilt, too.

Regarding the moratorium, I am afraid that there is a local LQS going out of business and I walked into the store. Tula, Kaffe, precuts, Seuss, panels and joy walked out of the store with me. I will have to go back before the end of the month. I didn't have a chance to scope the tools, books, thread and blenders, yet. I see the moratorium wagon peaking over the next hill. I ain't close to the wagon anymore but my soul is singing about my new treasures.
​​​​​While the going out of business is bittersweet, the treasures help. Have fun with your haul. I have the bug for fabric shopping it appears. I used the last of a fabric I had in stash for years. Came across it and trying to talk myself out of purchasing it. We'll see if I'm successful in avoiding the purchase.
Old 04-24-2023, 07:54 AM

You all are supposed to be fussing at me. Mmunchkins, thank you for the pass! I think the uber is a great idea, too!! Let's see how far ahead the wagon is by the time I am done. BTW, I think I know what I need to do about my fabric addiction -- I need to open a fabric store!!

WMUteach -- great job walking away from the scraps!!!
Old 04-25-2023, 09:40 PM

Some awesome stories here and many congratulations are in order:

Ibex, for knowing when to step off the wagon but remembering to check the route so you can catch up again soon!

Elly, for putting 18 yards into a quilt... I can't even imagine it and I hope you can get some help with posting pictures soon. My method is to email myself the picture and reduce it to about 1 MB in the process, save it to desktop or a designated folder, then "go advanced" on my message, choose the file I want and attach it (remembering to scroll all the way to the right and hit UPLOAD - this is the most important part!).

WMU, for being able to step away from free fabric, even if it wasn't a huge temptation.

I'm also celebrating a partial finish - I had made these tiny house blocks last February (inspired by a MSQC video) to use up some scraps as well as a precut pack of white charms I'd been gifted. I learned a lot about what not to do when making flying geese blocks (which ended up helping me in my second-last quilt top) but mostly learned that I don't really like working with pinked edges! I decided it was time to put the blocks to use (before starting another project) so I culled out the wonkiest blocks and ended up with these 56 houses, then added some trees when I didn't like my H:W ratio. The grey was also from stash, as is a piece of black and white striped fabric I will use for binding. As always, my stash seems to be overflowing but I'm glad to get this flimsy done. :-)
Attached Thumbnails img_8343.jpg  
Old 04-26-2023, 02:57 AM

Gemm - what a wonderful use of scraps!
Old 04-26-2023, 03:10 AM

Gemm - I love your little community of homes! And I agree with woodland creature, it is a wonderful use of scraps. I am afraid this year has NOT been a good year for using up my stash but adding to it. Maybe next year. In my defense, I had a good friend who is moving out of state and had a stash as larger or larger than mine. She gifted me with so much fabric and yarn. We have the same tastes in both so it will not be a challenge to use it. Since I have absolutely have no more room for either yarns or fabrics maybe I will not buy anything the rest of the year.
Old 04-26-2023, 06:33 AM

Gemm that is is so cute- great use of scraps!

Rob
Old 04-26-2023, 09:39 AM

Gemm. Great.
Old 04-27-2023, 07:40 AM

Gemm, that's marvelous. Great idea!
Old 04-27-2023, 06:43 PM

Gemm thanks for the suggestion on picture posting. Will give it a try when I get closer to finish.
Lena I know when I literally ran out of room on my shelves it was a great reminder to use not buy. Hope it works for you. To the fabric I had used the last piece of and debated purchasing more when I came across it, I bought it. I love that fabric. In fact, I might start using it for labels. Should make it last awhile and I can play with it with every quilt. It's kind of surprising how many quilts its already been in.
So back on the wagon for me.
Old 04-28-2023, 08:30 AM

I don't have a lot to contribute but when you are working on a quilt don't give up on your stash. I treated myself to purchasing all the fabric for a large quilt for myself. It is a planned scrappy style. Got home started to make blocks and some of my choices just did not look well together in the block. Out to purchase a few substitutes. All the cuts were small less than a half yard. Final block was to be a soft orange, you know that "dreamcicle" orange. Well, yuck I chose nice fabric but colors that were too intense compared to the rest of the quilt. I REFUSED to buy more even if the cuts are small. Dove into my stash and buried in the pink fabric was a piece that was a little more salmon than pink and ta-da it works. So, end of story keep looking in your stash, your treasures and discover the perfect or nearly perfect piece for what you are working on. Be encouraged. It is there hiding from you.