Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A quilting journal??? >

A quilting journal???

A quilting journal???

Old 05-10-2013, 05:14 AM

I keep track of the quilts I make in a personal blog online. Not a lot of detail, just something to look back and see what I've done with my time.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:27 AM

Thank you everyone for responding to my questions!! I can certainly see the benefit of keeping a journal. It is now on the to-do list. We jokingly (sort of) talked about how we'll NEED to shop for a cute journal notebook now... Or decorate one... either way, it should be fun!!!
Old 05-10-2013, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
I keep track of the quilts I make in a personal blog online. Not a lot of detail, just something to look back and see what I've done with my time.
I have a personal online blog that I maintain about my quilting. I have a picture of all the quilts I have made since starting the journal, humorous readings, handy dandy tips, reviews of products I have used etc. I know that I would never be a scrapbooking type of person. The blog works perfectly for me, my family and friends
Old 05-10-2013, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

I would not say that I keep a journal, but more of a list. I keep it up to date. Every quilt has a number, a name, I put information of who it's being made for, how I feel about it, the size of the quilt, how I got the idea for it, and the date that it was completed. I also take photographs of the quilts when they are in progress, and when they are done. If possible, I get pictures of the person I gave it to. All of this, along with pictures I've seen online, ideas, possible sencils, and several other things are in a flash drive, backed up by two other flash drives. This might seem like a lot of work, but I like to make sure the information will be there if someone else is interested years from now, when I am gone.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:17 AM

Nice blog. Mine is much more primitive than that ;-)
Old 05-10-2013, 08:44 AM

I try to take pictures of all my quilting and sewing projects. I forget every once in a while and gift it before I remember that I need a picture of it. I usually just add a copy of the quilt label to the page. Of course, I am behind again. But it gives me a record of my accomplishments. I do challenge you to attempt something- however simple or complicated. Whatever works best for you.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:02 AM

I journal on a daily basis - just a few lines a day in a day planner. I keep track of things I've been working on but haven't taken pictures - that will probably be the next part now that I have a printer - I'll take pictures of what I do and put those in the planner also. It is easy to forget what one has done during the year.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:33 PM

I journal on an excel spreadsheet with all particulars, when started, who did the quilting (mostly me), when finished, type of batting, who for, pattern name, fabrics used, and of course a picture.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:37 AM

Mine's just a notebook with a photo of the finished quilt and handwritten notes at the bottom. I use one page per quilt. I write down where I got the pattern or what pattern it is, who it was for, and the year completed. I haven't written down how long it took to make the quilts. Often the thinking about it (deciding what I want to do) takes longer than doing it. I don't think i've ever documented how long it takes to shop for fabrics - but it's 1-2 hours if all the fabric you need is in one local store. But now there's enough stash to just use that most of the time. Then it's just running out to get something I'm out of.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:25 PM

Been quilting 23 yrs. Some of my quilts are a fading memory, no record. Some I can't remember details.

Shoulda kept a journal. So I'm interested in this thread. Need to put this on my priority list.