Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying a longarm at a show >

Buying a longarm at a show

Buying a longarm at a show

Old 02-07-2014, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Stitch124 View Post
I'm going to be interested in the answers to these questions too. DH has finally seen the light and decided I need to get a HQ Sweet 16. I'm looking for a used/floor model, but a show machine would be just fine too!
This is the machine I would like as well. Gently used is fine with me. Just need to find one I can actually afford
Old 02-07-2014, 07:06 PM

MQX is a local show for me as I live in southern NH. Unfortunately, a LA or even a shortarm machine is way, way out of my price range. I also have no place in my home to set one up. I do love seeing the gorgeous quilts at MQX, though!

Anita
Old 02-08-2014, 11:21 PM

Love My APQS Millenium. Be sure to check them out. I've been to the factory in Carrol IA. I especially enjoy having it paired with the Intelliquilter computerized system. So many possibilities.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:36 AM

www.LongarmUniversity.com

has a clearing house for used LA. I have not purchased anything but watch the site for something near me. I also look on Craigslist.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:54 AM

If you have a dealer nearby, check with them for their prices, and if they will match a "show" price. They often will to move their product. When you go to the show you will know if you are getting a deal, the regular price or an inflated price. If you don't live close enough to a dealer call one. These are all franchised machines in the shops, and often enough the dealers know each other from their own conventions and training workshops.
MaryKatherine
Old 02-09-2014, 05:50 AM

Of course I'm partial to the Innova only as I have one now. When I went to my 1st quilt show I wasn't even in the market for a quilt machine as I had an 18" with robotics on a 10 frame at home. One of the ladies I was with mentioned she had an Innova with the same robotics as mine so we stopped at the Innova booth. I decided to try my hand with their machine and fell in love instantly. Of course the price was out of my reach at the time but thought maybe in a year I could afford one. Took their brochures, went home and just mentioned it to my mother who was living with me at the time. A couple weeks later my mother told me to order what I wanted. The dealer I talked with at the show was also the one in my area. She gave me lots of extras which I thought was quite generous. I'm sure each dealer has their own agenda to what they're willing to add to the pot. Mine gave me the red snappers and crosshatch ruler setup which isn't cheap. I'm very happy with my setup.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:16 AM

Please email me about the machine you want to sell. I have been wanting a long arm machine. Thanks Lynn Smith(e=mail edited out for safety reasons, please use the Private Mail)

Last edited by Jim's Gem; 02-28-2014 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Security reasons
Old 02-09-2014, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Stitch124 View Post
I'm going to be interested in the answers to these questions too. DH has finally seen the light and decided I need to get a HQ Sweet 16. I'm looking for a used/floor model, but a show machine would be just fine too!
A friend of mine got the floor model from a show at a really sweet,no pun intended, deal on hers. I thought I got a good deal when I got mine at the show price new. You have to speak up quickly for one though.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by KnitnutBZ View Post
A friend of mine got the floor model from a show at a really sweet,no pun intended, deal on hers. I thought I got a good deal when I got mine at the show price new. You have to speak up quickly for one though.
2 of the 3 floor models were sold by the 2nd day of a 4 day show here in Phoenix. If you know what you want and what you can afford, jump quick!
Old 02-09-2014, 08:52 AM

I love my Innova. I have the 26"/LS with a 12' table. I bought my Innova from my dealer and she matched her show price. I think she even included delivery and setup. They do include a 3 day training class at their store. Innovas are very low maintenance.

Innova does list their specials on their website: http://innovalongarm.com/shop/special-offers.html. As soccertxi said, you can try and get a floor model at the show, or even ask the dealer if they have one when you visit their shop.

When I went shopping for a LA, I looked at the HQ and tried it. Handling wise, it wasn't bad, but the dealer told me I would have to bring the head into the shop for servicing. The Innova had a lighter touch and my dealer will either help me by phone or send the tech out if necessary. I have read in the innova group (original one) that customer support is very helpful if needed and very responsive. I have asked a few questions by email and gotten a quick response from the company.

Definitely join all 3 groups (the HQ group and the 2 Innova groups on Yahoo - one started by ABM[the mfr] and one started by a member of the Innova group who is not an ABM employee) and see what people have to say, but I love my Innova. She is light and easy to use. I also love the fact that don't need to buy a new machine anytime there is a new upgrade that I might want. Additions are very easy to make.

Glad to hear you already have a buyer lined up for your current machine.