Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying a longarm at a show >

Buying a longarm at a show

Buying a longarm at a show

Old 02-07-2014, 08:33 AM

Default Buying a longarm at a show

Almost a year ago I purchased a used HQ16 and am about ready to upgrade to a newer, bigger machine with more features. There are three shows coming up in the next few months and I hope to test drive and purchase (yay!).

At this point I am considering an HQ 24" or an Innova 26".

My question is what to expect of pricing at a show. How much of a discount is typical? Or do they throw in some of the optional stuff?

Will I have to bargain? Would a local dealer who is not selling long arms at the show be likely to meet a "show price"?

Any hints would be appreciated. This is a huge investment.

Thanks in advance.

Marcia in NJ

P.S. I already have an interested buyer for my HQ16.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:49 AM

I'm going to be interested in the answers to these questions too. DH has finally seen the light and decided I need to get a HQ Sweet 16. I'm looking for a used/floor model, but a show machine would be just fine too!
Old 02-07-2014, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

I would go for the Innova 26" with lightening stitch in a heartbeat!

You might want to join the Yahoo groups for the two brands you are interested in and ask there. I know the Innova group (actually there are two groups now, a manufacturer's group which is bigger and a newer group that is independent of the manufacturer) is quite active, so you should get some good responses there.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

As Innova very publicly publishes its prices http://www.innovalongarm.com/shop/innova-packages.html I suspect it will be entirely up to the dealer to offer a show special. Most LA at shows are not marketed at a show special like a DSM that would be a more cash and carry item, they (the LA Vendors) are there for potential buyers to try out and compare brands. As it is such a significant purchase, I would think most deals are not sealed at a show so no incentive to offer a special. No cash and carry is possible with a LA.

You could try haggling, it may get you something, like free shipping (machine head and racks are drop shipped via common carrier from Texas, usually around $500!) or free installation. Or they may have a financing special you can take advantage of. If you don't have to finance, you may have more room to bargain.

IMHO (but I am extremely biased being a happy Innova owner) you can't go wrong with the Innova. The rack and machine are much more heavy duty than HQ. The Innova rack is pretty rock solid. HQ is a great machine too, but when I was comparing machines, Innova beat them hands down and the two were comparably priced.

Like Prism, I lust after the lightening stitch. So don't cut corners to get the standard SR, definitely order your machine with the LS upgrade. I am saving my pennies for the someday upgrade. Actually I have them squirreled away now but am loathe to part with the $$ and see my savings go down so much. So I think i will continue to make due with my standard SR and upgrade only when my current one goes to the big sewing studio in the sky.

Edited to add, if you have the room for a 12ft rack go for it! I only had room for a 10ft which I thought would be plenty big enough but I am limited to quilts only 100" wide and even then it is tight. So go for the bigger rack too! 12 or 14 footer!
Old 02-07-2014, 10:16 AM

I bought my LA (Innova 22in) at MQX last year. They offered a deal on the lightening stitch, about 10% off if I added it to the machine. Which basically came out to the lightening stitch being free with the set up. I did have to pay for shipping though. My local dealer (in VA was closest) delivered all the LA's bought at the show. He said they had 4-5 different machines delivered. But I didnt pay extra for it.

You can also talk them into other things to sweeten the deal I got the red snappers tossed in.

The owner of Innova was there, plus the dealer nearest to me, they also had to get a dealer in from the NW area. At all the long arm dealers at the show were the main company and the local dealers.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

I think I misspelled "lightning stitch" as "lightening stitch". But I don't feel too bad, as I think everyone else did too!
Old 02-07-2014, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

I also have the Innova 26" with 12' table and the standard SR, the simplest and cheapest SR they provide. I would love to have lightning stitch (and can spell it, LOL) but it wasn't available when I purchased my Innova, and the upgrade is costly. For what I do (not longarming as a business) I am happy with what I have, and haven't really noticed stitch length differences as being a problem. In fact many professional longarmers don't use a SR at all. I haven't seen huge discounts in longarm prices at shows, and I do believe that any Innova dealer would honor the show specials and maybe throw in some extras. You can always pick up a paper at the show that shows what specials are offered, which makes it even more likely that you can get the same deal from the local dealers. I also highly recommend Innova, for quality and service.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by CarolynMT View Post
I bought my LA (Innova 22in) at MQX last year. They offered a deal on the lightening stitch, about 10% off if I added it to the machine. Which basically came out to the lightening stitch being free with the set up. I did have to pay for shipping though. My local dealer (in VA was closest) delivered all the LA's bought at the show. He said they had 4-5 different machines delivered. But I didnt pay extra for it.

You can also talk them into other things to sweeten the deal I got the red snappers tossed in.

The owner of Innova was there, plus the dealer nearest to me, they also had to get a dealer in from the NW area. At all the long arm dealers at the show were the main company and the local dealers.
MQX is one of the shows I plan to attend.

BTW, my son lives in North Andover..
Old 02-07-2014, 01:37 PM

I recently purchased an Innova 22" with lightning stitch....love it. Innova has a great reputation for customer service.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:10 PM

I'd do Innova....I have a dealer within 10 miles and they will have great customer service. That is where I rent my machine time. Too scared to own a big machine...at least at this point! ;0