Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Opinions >

Need Opinions

Need Opinions

Old 12-12-2014, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
I'm not at all understanding why you want any more stitching. You are just going to hide the feathers.
Agree with above...all those feathers is more than enough......
Old 12-12-2014, 01:56 PM

I would mark the grid, do the other quilting and then make the call whether you really want to add it. I do agree that I am not sure you actually need it.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:09 PM

I think I'll take your suggestions. I'll mark the grid in pencil, quilt the design and see if it needs the background. I hope to have it finished by summer. It's a gift for a dear friend who just had a baby. It will never actually be used, just put away as a future heirloom.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:26 PM

Default My opinion

Originally Posted by dog mama View Post
I finally have the design marked for this wholecloth. For the background, would you use a stipple pattern or 1/2'' grid? It will be hand quilted.
As a hand quilter I would quilt everything you have marked. That should be more than enough quilting. It will be lovely when it is finished. If you wanted to jazz it up a little use a colored thread so the quilting will be very visible. The important part of hand quilting is to be consistent with the tension of your stitches. With the pattern you have selected the finished quilt should be lovely.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:38 PM

However, I do get your idea that you want the feathers to appear to 'pop out' from the background to give it a 3 dimensional or textured look. To get that you will need to 'quilt down' the background areas. A tiny grid would do it. You must be a very fast quilter. I am impressed!
Old 12-12-2014, 05:47 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
However, I do get your idea that you want the feathers to appear to 'pop out' from the background to give it a 3 dimensional or textured look. To get that you will need to 'quilt down' the background areas. A tiny grid would do it. You must be a very fast quilter. I am impressed!
I agree with Jeanne that you seem to want the feathers to appear to pop out -- sort of like trapunto without the stuffing -- but I'm the dissenting voice for a very close stipple. In handquilting this stipple is quite different from FMQ stippling. It looks almost like tiny commas packed closely together and does flatten the background with good effect.

On this page, 3rd row down, right in the middle of the row....that quilt clearly shows the difference be tween a close grid and a close stipple.
https://www.google.com/search?site=&...76._xpDPP4Ej0c

Can't wait to see your finished project! I will be starting one soon, preprinted - not my own design - and feel I too may want something in that background.

Jan in VA
Old 12-12-2014, 06:02 PM

I'm sure it will be beautiful whichever way you do it. It all looks so complicated to me.....lots of hard work.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:16 PM
Power Poster

I agree with Jan in VA. A close stipple done by hand would really enhance the feathers. I think many of the quilters here may never have seen hand stippling in a quilt; it looks very different from machine stippling!
Old 12-12-2014, 07:39 PM

Jan and Jeanne have described exactly how I want it to look. I just wasn't sure if the stippling would take away from the feathers or a close grid would enhance it better.

I have never quilted by machine and have only ever pieced two tops on the machine. All the rest have been done entirely by hand.
I finished piecing this one May 4th and finished the quilting on the way to the show Sept 19th. Our club hosted Nationals this yr and the quilt was auctioned off for $500. I don't have a finished photo, but I quilted around the center medallion to create a starburst effect and I quilted the rest of the piece 1/4" from the seams.
Attached Thumbnails img_2078-large-.jpg  
Old 12-13-2014, 02:37 AM

I really believe any more quilting would hide the feathers, not make them pop. You have done a beautiful job marking this quilt, I can't await to see it completed!!!