Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-16-2011, 11:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I just got a 66-1 Red eye treadle. I still have to clean her up, get a new belt for the treadle, and restore the parlor cabinet. Anyway I am new to the board, but I will be going to the TOGA. I am looking forward to meeting everyone.
Anamaria
Annamaria, I am Kathie and I am looking forward to meeting you at the Toga. That goes for Janice and Sheryl. Nancy I all ready know. I have talked to Cathy Neslon who owns the house that we will be at and the toga sounds like fun. See you there. Kathie

I had a blast at the Mini TOGA in June. Cathy was the host for that event. She has a house load of machines, and her garage is way cool since it is full of thousands of parts and two of those Singer 29-?K machines for boot/hat work! She showed me how those machines work. It was fun seeing everyone's work and special treasures that they brought to show and tell. Lots of interesting and different machines to drool over during a TOGA.

I will be teaching how to make simple sewing machine covers for vintage machines.

Well, I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!!![/quote]

vintage cover tutorial?
Old 08-16-2011, 11:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jtapp9
I think I'm gonna go buy a lottery ticket...lol. I decided to give my 66 Redeye a spin and darned if even her tension is looking good today! I SUCK at setting tension and this old gal and the tan 301 have been real burdens to me. They pretty much made me realize I do NOT enjoy working on the old machines, but I DO love to sew on them :). So I am sitting here sewing quilt blocks going back and forth between the two and enjoying this great event..hahaha...for it may not last!
http://www.sewusa.com/Sewing_Machine...Singer_301.htm
some tension info - I'm thinking I had a 301 that had tension issues until I took it apart, cleaned it of goo and rust and reassembled. I also read that you should have the pressure foot lever down when you adjust so the tension pin is in the right place.

http://shop.sew-classic.com/Tension-...572-125417.htm this drawing from sew-classic has the best blow up diagram of a tension - I haven't seen the tension pin drawn in anywhere else.

Don't give up on the tension. One day you will get it and wonder why it was so hard.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:16 AM

I give up what does toga mean?
Old 08-17-2011, 03:59 AM

[quote=grayhare]
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by jljack
Candace, Nice machine! Are you a member of the Gold Country Treadleon group? There is a gathering September 10th. This machine would be fun to show off at the event- at least I would love to see your machine.

Monica, I am hoping to be able to go, and Quiltncowgirl had said she would like to go, too. I am hoping to get my DH interested enough in the vintage/antique machines so that he will start learning to work on them....this could be our retirement business!! But I am sure he won't come to this TOGA...maybe next Spring.
Wow, that makes 4 of us from this shop going in September to the TOGA! Maybe 5 is Candace comes?

Monica, myself, Kathie, Janice, and Sheryl! This is going to be fun!~

Nancy
I would really like to go also but it is too far and that is the weekend of the San Diego quilt show... :(
Old 08-17-2011, 05:54 AM

[quote=miriam]

some tension info -

Thank you SO much, I need to oil my new 301 and this is perefect, I just printed it out so I can get it all oilly rather then oil the computer :lol:
Old 08-17-2011, 07:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Celeste
Also, I'd like to ask your opinion on a few other machines on craigslist.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/atq/2542724366.html
This one has some interesting decals. I have seen this decal (Greek motif) somewhere once when looking at machine decals, but I can't recall where right now. But not on a Singer VS2. I don't think this was the original decals, looks like decals for different time period, 30's or 40's.

This machine has been redone sometime in its life. Usually they will remove the badge but this could well have been a factory authorized dealer and the customer picked through a catalog of decals that they really liked. At one time I had some sheets of these aftermarket decals (several different designs) but somebody wanted them more than I did so they dropped a rather large sum of money in my pocket to take them off of my hands. I imagine I will find more as I buy out these OSMG's so I am not that worried.

Billy
Old 08-17-2011, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by Celeste
Also, I'd like to ask your opinion on a few other machines on craigslist.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/atq/2542724366.html
This one has some interesting decals. I have seen this decal (Greek motif) somewhere once when looking at machine decals, but I can't recall where right now. But not on a Singer VS2. I don't think this was the original decals, looks like decals for different time period, 30's or 40's.

This machine has been redone sometime in its life. Usually they will remove the badge but this could well have been a factory authorized dealer and the customer picked through a catalog of decals that they really liked. At one time I had some sheets of these aftermarket decals (several different designs) but somebody wanted them more than I did so they dropped a rather large sum of money in my pocket to take them off of my hands. I imagine I will find more as I buy out these OSMG's so I am not that worried.

Billy
This makes sense now. I'm still trying to recall where I saw this decal motif. I googled images but haven't found it yet, but I do know that I have seen this decal on at least one younger machine, 66 or 15.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:16 AM

I will be teaching how to make simple sewing machine covers for vintage machines.

Well, I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!!!
I am interested in making a sewing machine cover. Is it a hands on class? If so what is the price and what do I bring? Do tell all. Kathie[/quote]

I was planning that folks make there own cover that day, or at least most of the cover.

Don't tell anyone...but I have never done any of this before.
Never taught a how to quilt or sew this ( only my daughter for sewing clothes) class to others. This should be fun!!!

And I have never made a cover for a sewing machine. I'm going to be busy here this weekend making at least two different covers. I saw one very cute tie-on-the-side cover that I will copy.

I will be making a list of materials, print outs of examples, and directions for the two different covers.

So, this will not be a total "blind leading the blind" class.

And then sometime near future, I will post a tutorial on the QB for sewing machine covers. EEKS!!!!!
Old 08-17-2011, 08:27 AM

[quote=vintagemotif]

So, this will not be a total "blind leading the blind" class.

And then sometime near future, I will post a tutorial on the QB for sewing machine covers. EEKS!!!!!
sorry I cannot make the class. I am sure you will be great. :thumbup:

I look forward to seeing the tutorial in the future. 8-)
Old 08-17-2011, 08:29 AM

[quote=miriam]
Originally Posted by jtapp9
some tension info - I'm thinking I had a 301 that had tension issues until I took it apart, cleaned it of goo and rust and reassembled. I also read that you should have the pressure foot lever down when you adjust so the tension pin is in the right place.http://shop.sew-classic.com/Tension-...572-125417.htm this drawing from sew-classic has the best blow up diagram of a tension - I haven't seen the tension pin drawn in anywhere else.
Don't give up on the tension. One day you will get it and wonder why it was so hard.
Miriam; Thank you for these two sites. Both are superb. ~ Chris