Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
HummerGardenCrafts - My Mom! >

HummerGardenCrafts - My Mom!

HummerGardenCrafts - My Mom!

Old 10-25-2011, 06:08 AM

Have you tried a litter box? I have 2 yorkies and they have been trained to use the litter box. I use kitty litter and it works. When you see them looking for a spot to go just pick them up and put them in the litter box. They should get the idea pretty quick. (Hope this helps)

Oh my gosh.........that's really frightening. Do you have lots of good lighting outside your home? There are a few things that will make someone think twice about approaching your house......light - if you can hit a switch and flood the entry it will startle whomever is standing there. Barking dogs. I would let the dogs out and let them run the fence (small dogs are just as good as big dogs). If you don't have a security system buy a couple large signs on stakes and put them in the ground. Also, a couple fake cameras. Anything that might deter someone. And keep your gate locked at night. I also agree with not telling strangers you have a gun. The arrogant idiot will think he can take it from you.

Originally Posted by HummerGardenCrafts
Thank you for your confidence in me. I tell you it is just getting crazy on this earth. Like that lady says on that one movie, "God won't let the earth stand like this!". I think it was Cold Mountain.

People on drugs are getting more and more brave about robbing and stuff to get things to pawn, sell or whatever to keep their craving satisfied.
You're right about this world today. My dad passed away in the spring; and someone broke into his house before we had time to pack everything and move it out. Stole my mother's silver and anything that was "shiny", even silver-plate or silver-colored cheapy things. Broke my heart. And then I was furious. There are some "shady" folks that live on the street that we suspect, but how do you prove it? I figure they'll have to answer for it someday.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:10 AM

OMG...chill bumps all over!
Old 10-25-2011, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by HummerGardenCrafts
Originally Posted by Charlee
Get a Rottweiler! I think that's going to be my next dog...
If I didn't have small dogs I would think about getting that type. But the insurance asks you right off the bat what kinds of dogs you have. They can refuse you insurance if you have certian type dogs. I know pitbull is #1 on the list.
I have Farm and Ranch insurance and they never once asked me what type dogs I have. I have a doberman, Australian Shepard who can be VERY aggressive if she doesn't know you and until recently a German Shepard. Where I live, I have neighbors but they aren't close like a subdivision. No one around here pays any attention to gun shots. Many times, I have gone out past midnight to shoot a predator. I also have 2 security lights out front by the driveways, a security light on the barn and lately I've been leaving a flood light on out back. I have $^$^$ armadillo that is wrecking my yard. His days are limited.

I also a 12 or 20 guage shot gun at every outside door (4), a 38 with hollow points next to my bed, a Walther next to the computer...plus many others scattered in strategic locations around the house. (at least 1 in every room). Am I afraid? NO. But I am prepared and know how to use them. As far as the cops, they are as useless as tits on a boar hog around here.

I refuse to live in fear in my own home. The gun laws here in Oklahoma are a lot different then the rest (most) of the states. If you feel threatened, on your own property, you have the right to shoot. IE: you don't have to drag them inside afterwards!! BTW, I live on the river. I shoot at least a dozen large cottonmouth's every summer.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:18 AM

WOW..What a scary experience. You did everything right! Please stay safe and post an update when you can.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:20 AM

I feel for you especially when you say it took the PD so long to get there; I had a similar experience; when they got there, the car was setting by the end of my driveway - but theycould not get it started, the gas can they'd use to siphon gas out of my car was in their trunk - with the smell of fresh gas, and what do the cops do? help them start their car and let them go CAUSE THEY DID NOT SEE IT HAPPEN. I was on the other side of the wall watching them siphon gas out and hoped when the one lit his cigarette - he'd blow themselves to high heaven! I was so ticked; I had no good words for the pd that time, and I left them know in no uncertain words how unhappy I was. What's worse, is one in that car had a warrant out for him- and two others were supposed to be his accomplises, but no warrants at that time - and they left the whole group go!!!
Old 10-25-2011, 06:21 AM

I feel for you especially when you say it took the PD so long to get there; I had a similar experience; when the pd got there, the car was setting by the end of my driveway - but the gas stealers could not get it started, the gas can they'd use to siphon gas out of my car was in their trunk - with the smell of fresh gas, and what do the cops do? help them start their car and let them go CAUSE THEY DID NOT SEE IT HAPPEN. I was on the other side of the wall watching them siphon gas out and hoped when the one lit his cigarette - he'd blow themselves to high heaven! I was so ticked; I had no good words for the pd that time, and I left them know in no uncertain words how unhappy I was. What's worse, is one in that car had a warrant out for him- and two others were supposed to be his accomplises, but no warrants at that time - and they left the whole group go!!!
Old 10-25-2011, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Highmtn
Turn on all your outside lights but don't turn on inside lights unless you've got a second floor to your house.

I'd be VERY UPSET TOO. Can you get a friend to come over and spend the night with you?

Will the cops come back and patrol your area extra times for awhile?

Our 92# guard dog died of cancer last November. My hubby is disabled. I used to tell people I sleep at night sound because my dog doesn't. I certainly DON'T feel near as safe since she's been gone.

My heart goes out to you!
I know what you mean about the dogs. In the past two months I went from a house full of people to just me when my youngest and her kids got thier first place and the ex moved out. It gets scary sometimes even though I live in a nice neighborhood. But lets face it; that's where the bad people go because they already know that people in bad areas don't have anything worth taking. I have a little American Eskimo who barks pretty loud and then I have a very large Akita who really barks loud. I do find comfort in having them at the house and if I go downstairs at night they follow me just like they follow me when I go up to bed. I keep the house locked up tight where when there were more people in the house I didn't worry so much about it. Not everyone knows I'm alone and my daughter has the neighbor looking out for me but I still worry. Several years ago I woke up and found a strange man in my bedroom looking on my dresser; I pretended to be alseep until he left and then called the cops. He heard me get up and ran out the backdoor but when I went into the backroom I could see where he was trying to unhook my computer until he heard me. I got an alarm system right after that. Even when it's not set to go off I keep it set so that if any of my doors open it tells me which door opened. That gives me a little bit of comfort as well. All of you all be safe and dont assume that the person on the other side of the door or in the grocery store has good intentions.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:28 AM

How terrifying! I hope you are okay today.