Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
HummerGardenCrafts - My Mom! >

HummerGardenCrafts - My Mom!

HummerGardenCrafts - My Mom!

Old 10-24-2011, 08:23 PM

Wow Betty, Im soooooooooooo glad you did not open your door even a crack! That is scary and I would NOT hesitate one bit to call 911 again (even if you are just scared) they would much rather have a call and it be nothing than to get one that turns out bad. Im glad you have protection (Im assuming you know how to use it). If that car even drives by again, be sure to call the police again. Do you know anyone that could come stay with you for a while??

Originally Posted by HummerGardenCrafts
I know I won't get a bit of sleep tonight. I was setting her playing bingo on fb. Then I was going to go back to what I was working on.

There was a knock on my door. I asked who it was. The guy said I'm lost! I run and got my handgun and hid it behind my back. I opened the blind and pulled it up. I did not open my door.

I told the guy which way to go. He said thanks and ok.
I laid the gun beside me. I went to my bedroom and peeked out the blind. There was a white or cream colored car, four door. I saw him go through the gate and get in the front seat. I also saw a cigarette glowing red. Someone else was standing outside the back of the car. I saw that person get in the back. So that told me there was three to four in the car. If it was only two the second guy would of gotten in the front seat.

I watched the car leave. It went right from what I could tell. I didn't see any lights go up the hill.

It was like 5 to 7 min. if that long there was another knock on the door. I think I asked who it was. The guy said it's me again. I'm still lost. I told him to go to the secondary road, take a right, go to the main road and take another right. It would take him right to where he wanted to go. He then said can I ask you another question. I said yes sir. By this time my attitude changed to being kinda rude. He said do you have any oil. I said no sir I do not. He said ok thank you.

I went back to my bedroom to peek out. That guy was no where in sight. He didn't go out the main front gate. There is a gate between our house and my quilt house. You would not know it was there in the dark. Get my meaning. I feel they had been scopeing the place out.

I went right straight and called 911. I told that guy what was going on. He said I'll send an officer up there. I told him ok. But if they try to get in on me, I'll shoot them. And I told the 911 guy that the state better annouce themselves.

It took the officers a good while to get here. I didn't answer my phone, I left it on the bed where I was watching out my window. I heard the state p do their siren thingy and went to open the door.

They saw me and got out. Asked if I had dogs. I told them they were in the house. They were coming through the gate and I told them I did have my handgun. That I would lay it on the table.

I told them the story again. They did not see the vehicle on their way here. And they had gotten other reports of them trying to get a ride from other people.

I told the state p that they might up went up one of the gravel roads at the bottom of the mountain. So they were going to check them out. I asked if they found out anything or caught up with them if they would let me know. They said they would have the guy at 911 call me. No call yet!

What I want to know, where did the car go? If they were trying to get a ride from someone else, their car disappeared.

Seems way to obvious to me! I bet the car was stolen and they were trying to get another ride. Or rob someone.

I got in touch with my son. But he lives in TN. Still helped calm me down. He told me to just keep the heat with me. He'll call me in the morning when he gets up to go to work. I'm to text him if the 911 guy calls.

I've never had anything happen like this before. We have been here over 30 years. Bet I keep my handgun with me at all times now.

The doggies will just have to potty in the house. I'll clean it up. I won't open my door after it gets dark any more.

Guess I'm up for the rest of the night. Anybody else up with me?
Old 10-24-2011, 08:29 PM

Turn on all your outside lights but don't turn on inside lights unless you've got a second floor to your house.

I'd be VERY UPSET TOO. Can you get a friend to come over and spend the night with you?

Will the cops come back and patrol your area extra times for awhile?

Our 92# guard dog died of cancer last November. My hubby is disabled. I used to tell people I sleep at night sound because my dog doesn't. I certainly DON'T feel near as safe since she's been gone.

My heart goes out to you!
Old 10-24-2011, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Highmtn
Turn on all your outside lights but don't turn on inside lights unless you've got a second floor to your house.

I'd be VERY UPSET TOO. Can you get a friend to come over and spend the night with you?

Our 92# guard dog died of cancer last November. My hubby is disabled. I used to tell people I sleep at night sound because my dog doesn't. I certainly DON'T feel near as safe since she's been gone.

All the big lights are on outside. They come on soon as it starts getting dark. I figured if I left lights on and none in the bedroom or bathroom, and they did (heaven forbid) get in my house; that I would be able to see them before they see me. That was one reason I was leaving lights on.
I miss my big #100 Boxer, Bubba! I was never afraid when he was here. People were afraid of him. I might just have to get me another boxer. Start with a puppy so he will grow up with my poms.

And there is no one that can stay with me! My kids are in TN. All of them now.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:38 PM

Get a Rottweiler! I think that's going to be my next dog...
Old 10-24-2011, 08:41 PM

Keep the outside lights on as they have pointed out but don't have all the inside lights on as they can see inside your house. Be sure to keep some of your rooms dark so you can be in them without anyone seeing where you are at. If you have an upstairs, that's where I'd spend the night.

In hotels, I put "stuff" in front of the door so if anyone does try to come in, they'll break their neck tripping over it...you might put "stuff" in front of your doors (again lights out so no one can see what you are doing).

If you don't have a dead bolt, you might want to consider getting one installed on all of your outside doors. If you are really afraid, think about setting up a "safe room" where you have the ability to be locked in securely. You can also get the disposable type cell phones and keep them charged to have in spare rooms in case you can't get to your regular cell or home phone.

Don't advertise you have a weapon...it could be inviting for them to come when you are gone just to get it. My brother is a Ranger and has advised us, don't tell them you have it unless you have to use it. Please be safe with it.

Chances are they are gone since the cops showed up. There are "easier" targets elsewhere. Even though it's late, you might wish to call your neighbors though and check on them and make them aware of the possible danger.

Thinking of you...stay safe.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:43 PM

I got scared just reading this...I have been really upset at my german shepherd vet bills lately but I have been reminded that she works for me...I feel so much better with her in the house..anyone who comes to the door backs off when they see her...
Old 10-24-2011, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Get a Rottweiler! I think that's going to be my next dog...
If I didn't have small dogs I would think about getting that type. But the insurance asks you right off the bat what kinds of dogs you have. They can refuse you insurance if you have certian type dogs. I know pitbull is #1 on the list.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:45 PM

Hummer, I am up with you. I just can't sleep. I can't imagine how upset you are. This is a crazy world. They didn't get into your quilt building, did they? I'm not a gun person, but I'm glad you got something to protect yourself. I am praying that the Lord will put a protective hedge around you tonight so you can get some rest.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by HummerGardenCrafts
Originally Posted by Highmtn

All the big lights are on outside. They come on soon as it starts getting dark. I figured if I left lights on and none in the bedroom or bathroom, and they did (heaven forbid) get in my house; that I would be able to see them before they see me. That was one reason I was leaving lights on.

I miss my big #100 Boxer, Bubba! I was never afraid when he was here. People were afraid of him. I might just have to get me another boxer. Start with a puppy so he will grow up with my poms.

And there is no one that can stay with me! My kids are in TN. All of them now.
Yanna (our guard dog) was a boxer/rotty cross. She was ferocious if someone knocked on the door...but when we let people in she was friendly as could be. Most of the neighbors called her "Cujo". At night she often patrolled the house softly growling. She went after someone for banging on the front door SO HARD once that she knocked the door jam out of the frame 2". She MEANT BUSINESS. After that we put a "no soliciting" sign on the front of the entry.

I've had nothing but rescue boxers since 1970. Eva, the other boxer in the photo weighs 37#....and Yanna 92#. Yanna was very good with the dogs we brought in but not so nice to dogs she didn't know. She was such a devoted guardian of us.

I sure miss her ESPECIALLY after reading YOUR STORY.

Be safe... we'll all be thinking about you tonight! Please post in the morning so we know you're okay.

"YOU RANG??"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]276742[/ATTACH]

Yanna and Eva. Eva's a little shy violet. If someone pounds on the door she disappears...LOL We may have to put in a security system FOR HER...lol
[ATTACH=CONFIG]276743[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-276689.jpe   attachment-276690.jpe  
Old 10-24-2011, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by moonwork42029
Keep the outside lights on as they have pointed out but don't have all the inside lights on as they can see inside your house. Be sure to keep some of your rooms dark so you can be in them without anyone seeing where you are at. If you have an upstairs, that's where I'd spend the night.

In hotels, I put "stuff" in front of the door so if anyone does try to come in, they'll break their neck tripping over it...you might put "stuff" in front of your doors (again lights out so no one can see what you are doing).

If you don't have a dead bolt, you might want to consider getting one installed on all of your outside doors. If you are really afraid, think about setting up a "safe room" where you have the ability to be locked in securely. You can also get the disposable type cell phones and keep them charged to have in spare rooms in case you can't get to your regular cell or home phone.

Don't advertise you have a weapon...it could be inviting for them to come when you are gone just to get it. My brother is a Ranger and has advised us, don't tell them you have it unless you have to use it. Please be safe with it.

Chances are they are gone since the cops showed up. There are "easier" targets elsewhere. Even though it's late, you might wish to call your neighbors though and check on them and make them aware of the possible danger.

Thinking of you...stay safe.
Thank you for all of your good advice. I have dead bolts on two of my doors. The only one I don't is next to my bedroom. But bet you there will be one soon. They would break their necks trying to get through that room. I have stuff alover the place there.