Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When asked, what do you charge for this? HELP please >

When asked, what do you charge for this? HELP please

When asked, what do you charge for this? HELP please

Old 05-23-2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by the casual quilter
I think it is important for your friend to understand just how much time it takes to make a quilt. People who don't quilt sometimes don't understand how much time it can take and how difficult some quilts are to put together. It's hard when friends ask, because friends are friends and it's difficult to put a price on our time for them. So I would look at what she wants, decide how many hours it will take, and then decide how much to charge per hour at "friend rate".
She crochets so she knows certain things take time. She is also ok with me being a novice. As she put it, she wants something made from me. She will be sending me the money for materials and my time before I order anything.
I gave her some homework, to go look at sites for the marbled fabric she wants in her quilt. It will be a queen with a bit of extra at the top to go over pillows like a bedspread. This will be an experience for me to improve on skills.
Have decided Radiant Star will be the pattern.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:28 AM

When I make a quilt..I take the price of all materials needed..then double it..I also ask for 1/2 on order and balance on delivery..since she's buying the materials..you wouldn't be out any money for supplies if she changed her mind..this has always worked for me..I learned the hard way the first 2 times..lol..and it was a friend and a family member..so keep that in mind !!
Old 05-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Banned

if i can be so bold......you are not ready to give a price.
It does not appear you have all the details and hope you have not given an estimate of $50-$100 You need all the details before even thinking about a cost and then make your estimate and be sure and get it all in writing especially regarding any changes during the process.
There have been some horrow stories here on the Board about making quilts for others. And it makes no difference how much the customer is going to pay for materials. Your labor is a separate issue. I imagine your customer is wanting a finished quilt to be handed to her and not just a top.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Holice
if i can be so bold......you are not ready to give a price.
It does not appear you have all the details and hope you have not given an estimate of $50-$100 You need all the details before even thinking about a cost and then make your estimate and be sure and get it all in writing especially regarding any changes during the process.
There have been some horrow stories here on the Board about making quilts for others. And it makes no difference how much the customer is going to pay for materials. Your labor is a separate issue. I imagine your customer is wanting a finished quilt to be handed to her and not just a top.
I have not told her anything about labor price yet. Wanted to get some ideas from others who have done this as this is my first time doing a paid piece. I am getting all money up front or no quilt. She has told me she wants to pay upfront for everything. I am not ordering any material etc till I get the money in hand and have the check cleared. I do plan on giving her a completed item, not just a top. She has asked for shams to be done after the quilt, then valances once she and her hubby have bought a home.
I want and need opinions from anyone who cares to give them as it will help me in the long run.
Thank you so much for your input. I do appreciate it.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

It seems like giving oneself a fair return for one's labor is hardest when a friend is involved.

I think you have three options:

Givens: Friend is paying for all materials.
You are supplying skill, time, and tools.

1) Do it as "a labor of love" and for the experience - no complaints allowed after item is finished.

2) Come up with a set price - use suggestions given

3) Pass - and tell her that too many friendships have been wrecked by this scenario.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
It seems like giving oneself a fair return for one's labor is hardest when a friend is involved.

I think you have three options:

Givens: Friend is paying for all materials.
You are supplying skill, time, and tools.

1) Do it as "a labor of love" and for the experience - no complaints allowed after item is finished.

2) Come up with a set price - use suggestions given

3) Pass - and tell her that too many friendships have been wrecked by this scenario.
Number one fits well as I do need the experience and this will help me become a better quilter. The pattern is one that will provide a challenge as well as be fun to do. Radiant Star/Texas Lone Star are two of the names that it goes by.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Sally Dolin
I seldom make a quilt for a customer. When I do, I charge $10 a hr for the piecing. I use an electric clock attached to a power strip with rocker switch and I keep track. This allows me to be accurate when stopping for phone calls, interruptions.
Can you explain this? What is a rocker switch and how does this help you keep track? I would love to be able to accurately keep track of my time.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:15 PM
klc

I find myself telling anyone who asks that it takes so many hours of actual work to make, then I have to add in the cost of the material. I ask what they think that many hours of my time is worth. It usually discourages anyone who asks. If they are willing to pay what they make at a job per hour - o.k. Don't sell yourself short. You will regret it. Kathryn
Old 05-24-2011, 03:30 AM

I think you have to iron - out all of the requirements before you start on this project. Point out all of the costs and labour time involved and have an honest talk with each other. A lot of people, who are not sewers, buy the most inappropriate material that is difficult to sew and quilt. So I think you need to stipulate the type of fabric needed and mutually come to an honest price. If your friend is reluctant to pay the price, you don't need to work for slave wages. You don't have to go ahead with the project if either of you is unhappy about some aspect.You can diplomatically point out that you are unable to do the project. If she gets it professionally done it will not be cheap for quality work in any case. Good luck with your negotiations.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:21 AM

I would charge $200 - 400 depending on the pattern.