Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When asked, what do you charge for this? HELP please >

When asked, what do you charge for this? HELP please

When asked, what do you charge for this? HELP please

Old 05-24-2011, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by DebsShelties
Originally Posted by Holice
if i can be so bold......you are not ready to give a price.
It does not appear you have all the details and hope you have not given an estimate of $50-$100 You need all the details before even thinking about a cost and then make your estimate and be sure and get it all in writing especially regarding any changes during the process.
There have been some horrow stories here on the Board about making quilts for others. And it makes no difference how much the customer is going to pay for materials. Your labor is a separate issue. I imagine your customer is wanting a finished quilt to be handed to her and not just a top.
I have not told her anything about labor price yet. Wanted to get some ideas from others who have done this as this is my first time doing a paid piece. I am getting all money up front or no quilt. She has told me she wants to pay upfront for everything. I am not ordering any material etc till I get the money in hand and have the check cleared. I do plan on giving her a completed item, not just a top. She has asked for shams to be done after the quilt, then valances once she and her hubby have bought a home.
I want and need opinions from anyone who cares to give them as it will help me in the long run.
Thank you so much for your input. I do appreciate it.
If you do the qult and later the shams and valances, PLEASE, make sure she orders enought material for them at the same time as the quilt material. If she doesn't and you try to get the same fabric when she buy her home, you'll never match it. Everyone has already said it, Get money up front.

I, too, got burned by 2 close friends ( a married couple) each wanted a Seminole Jacket, they're as much work as a quilt top. Going price for a real seminole jacket is $600 to $1100, I was only charging $300 each. Needless to say I didn't get it.

So, get paid up front!
Old 05-24-2011, 06:02 AM

You know, this pattern, Radiant Star, is not the easiest for a beginner to do, and for a variety of reasons. If I were you, I'd make one for myself first so you know what you are getting into.

Here are my thoughts:
1) You are having technical difficulties now on one of your own projects. It will be worse later when combined with the stress of a project for another. These current difficulties, IMHO, should be well past you before taking on a commissioned project.

2) You are still learning. As a teacher, I would suggest you get some easy quilts under your belt first.

3) I don't know how much free motion work you have ever done, but for most people it takes about a hundred hours of practice before they feel they have begun to understand the process.

I would humbly suggest that you try something easier to start, like a log cabin. Since it would be a learning experience, and this is a good friend, let her buy the supplies, and you supply the labor for free on a pattern of YOUR choice.
Just my 2 cents...your mileage may vary.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:03 AM

The last baby quilt i made, i told the girl not to tell anyone that i make quilts for price..it is too stressful for me, they think your nuts when you tell them how much you have invested in the fabric/batting,backing and thread alone.
let alone pay you a fair price for your time.
i make them,for people, out of the goodness of my heart..plus i would rather make charity quilts.
have her look on etsy to get an idea on what a homemade quilt costs..

the clock on the electrical strip is brilliant idea..i should do it, just to see wht kind of actual time i spend making them!
Old 05-24-2011, 06:03 AM

So in other words she wants a whole room decorated. Check into the prices of that. My daughter had it professionlly done and just the bed,window treatments and pillow shams to match cost her $25 thousand. AS someone else stated get all the fabric at one time or else there will be no matching it later. and realize you are tying yourself down to many months of work.Maybe a year. A lone star quilt is not an easy pattern either.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by mamabear229
Originally Posted by DebsShelties
Originally Posted by Holice
if i can be so bold......you are not ready to give a price.
It does not appear you have all the details and hope you have not given an estimate of $50-$100 You need all the details before even thinking about a cost and then make your estimate and be sure and get it all in writing especially regarding any changes during the process.
There have been some horrow stories here on the Board about making quilts for others. And it makes no difference how much the customer is going to pay for materials. Your labor is a separate issue. I imagine your customer is wanting a finished quilt to be handed to her and not just a top.
I have not told her anything about labor price yet. Wanted to get some ideas from others who have done this as this is my first time doing a paid piece. I am getting all money up front or no quilt. She has told me she wants to pay upfront for everything. I am not ordering any material etc till I get the money in hand and have the check cleared. I do plan on giving her a completed item, not just a top. She has asked for shams to be done after the quilt, then valances once she and her hubby have bought a home.
I want and need opinions from anyone who cares to give them as it will help me in the long run.
Thank you so much for your input. I do appreciate it.
If you do the qult and later the shams and valances, PLEASE, make sure she orders enought material for them at the same time as the quilt material. If she doesn't and you try to get the same fabric when she buy her home, you'll never match it. Everyone has already said it, Get money up front.

I, too, got burned by 2 close friends ( a married couple) each wanted a Seminole Jacket, they're as much work as a quilt top. Going price for a real seminole jacket is $600 to $1100, I was only charging $300 each. Needless to say I didn't get it.

So, get paid up front!
She already knows I will be buying more fabric than the pattern calls for as a just in case I make a boo boo. She is sending me the money after I tell her this is how much. She is paying UPFRONT!
Old 05-24-2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by jolo
So in other words she wants a whole room decorated. Check into the prices of that. My daughter had it professionlly done and just the bed,window treatments and pillow shams to match cost her $25 thousand. AS someone else stated get all the fabric at one time or else there will be no matching it later. and realize you are tying yourself down to many months of work.Maybe a year. A lone star quilt is not an easy pattern either.
Am using Moda Marbles for the fabric, I know Favorite Fabrics carries it and I have ordered from her before. Great customer service! It will give me something to create quilt wise, will be posting pics as I go so everyone can see the progress. Looking at starting just after July 4th. She knows this will be a large project and will run into next year, and is ok with this.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:52 AM

>Have decided Radiant Star will be the pattern.

Wow, that's not a beginner pattern at all. I'm afraid to tackle that and I've been making quilt blocks and tops for several years.

Please understand we are only sharing our own past experiences with quilting for "friends" It's the fastest way to lose a friendship.

Either you wind up doing it for a great price for your friend that you get frustrated with the amount of work you are doing for so little return.

Or you actually charge enough to make it worth your while and antagonize your friend who doesn't understand how much real work it involved.

Also ask about who pays shipping back to your friend. That will be ~$20-30 wouldn't it? for a big quilt?

You are basically looking at a huge job, requirng weeks if not months or more of work if you are eventually doing her entire bedroom.

Really look at all aspects of this before agreeing to do it. Only you know what you are willing to do for your friend.

I don't do any sewing or quilting for pay. If I have something finished and someone wants to buy it, then I'll sell it to them. I don't do custom work for anyone. For me, it's sucks all the joy of it.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:03 AM

I would charge $10/sq.foot for a completed quilt, even if she furnished all the materials for it.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:28 AM

Awhile back there was a breakdown of how much it costs to make a quilt. It should stillbe somewhere on the board. It was a lot more than $100.00.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:48 AM

Sorry forgot to say way to go on your find