Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When asked, what do you charge for this? HELP please >

When asked, what do you charge for this? HELP please

When asked, what do you charge for this? HELP please

Old 05-23-2011, 04:26 AM

--I use an electric clock attached to a power strip with rocker switch and I keep track.

Now this is just plain old INGENIOUS!!! I love it, and will definitely start doing this TODAY!!!
Old 05-23-2011, 04:27 AM

--This is a gal I have known since High School (35 years), I would be doing this more for the experience than money. I have told her in the past when she asked about fabric and how much it takes that I always buy more than what the pattern calls for as a just in case.
I am in Virginia, she would be shipping me the materials if I agree to make this for her.[/quote]

Your work is valuable. Your time is valuable. Charge for it.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sally Dolin
I seldom make a quilt for a customer. When I do, I charge $10 a hr for the piecing. I use an electric clock attached to a power strip with rocker switch and I keep track. This allows me to be accurate when stopping for phone calls, interruptions.
this is such a great idea!
Old 05-23-2011, 04:55 AM

Have a friend in TN that handquilts tops for folks who find her ad in the quilt mags. She charges anywhere from $200 for a twin to $800 for a king. She made a Cathedral Window for a lady in MI and charged her $1500 and the woman never batted an eye. If I'm going to handquilt something for someone, 'm afraid they're gonna have topay for it. My time isn't free and my aching fingers and back will need meds! LOL!
Old 05-23-2011, 05:55 AM

Others have good ideas on $$, so I wanted to address the loops you are having on the back with your Flynn Frame.... The hardest thing for me to remember when I was using my domestic on the frame was to put the foot DOWN..... Bet that is what is causing the loops. Also, you may have a 1/2 way DOWN and that is where you want your foot lever to rest.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:02 AM
Banned

I had a classmate of mine ask me to make her a quilt two years ago. She wanted me to design it, was very specific about the center block she wanted and some of the fabric she wanted included in it.
I did all the design work (gave her two to choose from) found the fabric she wanted, priced it all out including to have it longarmed by someone else (this was before I started my longarm business) and when I gave her the price....................... she hasn't really talked to me since! She didn't understand the cost of make a quilt that size - large king, and all the work. (She had also burned me with not paying for another craft I had made her years before so I had asked for 1/2 the money up front. So no big loss but my design time, in doing it.)
Make sure you get it all written out for your work and what she will be paying for. Friends are sometimes the hardest to make things for for pay.
Good luck.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:24 AM
Banned

I think it is important for your friend to understand just how much time it takes to make a quilt. People who don't quilt sometimes don't understand how much time it can take and how difficult some quilts are to put together. It's hard when friends ask, because friends are friends and it's difficult to put a price on our time for them. So I would look at what she wants, decide how many hours it will take, and then decide how much to charge per hour at "friend rate".
Old 05-23-2011, 06:31 AM

I start at $80 for a baby/twin size, and $250 for a double/queen, $400 for a King, plus materials and thread. (don't forget thread adds up!) Then I look at the pattern and if it is going to take a lot of time to piece, the price goes up. If the quilting design is complex, the price goes up. I also will attach the binding but I machine sew it. If they want it hand stitched I will sew it on, but they will have to hand stitch it.
Having said that, I don't charge as much for close friends. But as soon as it gets to be "friend of a friend", then they are a customer, and the price reflects that. I always get the customer to pay for the fabric up front - even have them order it online and deliver it to me.
After all, quilting is my hobby love. If I start making it a job, then it's not fun anymore.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:47 AM
cjr

Minium wage is around $6.50 -$7.00 per hr in the USA. Allowing for your skills and learning curve, if you do not charge enough you will hate yourself, your friend, the quilt and future quilts.
There is no sin in getting a fair wage for your work.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
Others have good ideas on $$, so I wanted to address the loops you are having on the back with your Flynn Frame.... The hardest thing for me to remember when I was using my domestic on the frame was to put the foot DOWN..... Bet that is what is causing the loops. Also, you may have a 1/2 way DOWN and that is where you want your foot lever to rest.
Presser foot is all the way down. Feed dogs are down.