Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A quilting journal??? >

A quilting journal???

A quilting journal???

Old 05-12-2013, 04:06 AM

I can certainly see why I SHOULD have been keeping track of these things!! I really wish I'd paid attention to the batting I used in DH's quilt... it bearded a LOT... mostly on the first time I pulled the thread through, but other times, the whole length of thread... I tried different threads, too, and had the same problem... so I must have used poor batting? wish I knew!!

Anyway... I'll be starting a journal!!! Have to get some yard work finished first, though... It has finally turned to spring and my yard is calling for help!!!
Old 05-12-2013, 04:56 AM

I am thinking of creating a binder (it's what my Mom is using). So far my information is not organized but one thing I do create is an index sheet for each quilt with fabric samples. This is useful when creating a quilt and if I ever finish one, a great record of what fabrics were used.

I also want to create a sample or example book. When I forget how to do something, being able to look at a sample is really helpful and read any hints or suggestions.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:01 PM

I'm a new sewer/quilter, and I've been taking notes and pictures along the way and plan to place in a binder (as reference to both me and my daughter). I wish my mother had done this - I have a couple of her applique quilts and she can no longer remember how she made them.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:27 PM
Power Poster

A 3 ring binder is perfect. I like to have it hands on. Some do it right on their PC.

I like to include a picture of the pattern

2" sq samples of the fabric I am using. I sew them right onto a piece of paper and then right down the selvage info next to each fabric. This is not an absolute rule. If it is a scrap, it's a scrap.

As I progress I include the type of thread I use if I know. And the techniques involved too.

Who it is for or enter in shows, even local guild shows.

If I get paid for a quilt.

Add some progressive pictures and one of the label.

I also like to add daily thoughts and insights, jokes and adventures.

peace