Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
wedding ring quilt pattern >

wedding ring quilt pattern

wedding ring quilt pattern

Old 09-17-2013, 01:48 PM

You can always make the rings a solid piece of fabric instead of many small pieces. Another way: I remember a long time ago on Simply Quilts a DWR was made by cutting the arcs out of a strip-pieced strip of fabric. That's a lot faster than sewing together individual pieces. The shapes of the individual pieces in the resultant arcs is a bit different than if they were individually cut (because the sides aren't "cut" the same way when they come from the strip-pieced strip of fabric), but it's not noticeable in the final quilt.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:06 PM

I was just about to post an easy one and it turns out it's the one Tartan mentioned.
Here's the direct link.
http://www.freespiritfabric.com/graphic-elements/gallerys/t97_1.pdf
Old 09-18-2013, 02:51 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
I think Eleanore Burns has a pattern and technique thats supposed to be easy.

I am doing one now with Eleanor Burn's method---easy peasy------all her patterns are simple and ade for the success of the quilter. There is a demo on her site under the "egg money quilts" check it out
Old 09-18-2013, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
Quilt in a Day has a video showing how she does it using the Quilt Smart interfacing. It was very fast and easy. I've done it with no big problems.
Yes made one this way also. Much easier!
Old 09-18-2013, 03:50 AM

I've made several using both the John Flynn method and also the templates by Mari Michell. Both work well and turned out nicely. I think my preference is the templates by Marti Michell. I've made a total of five DWR's !!
Old 09-18-2013, 04:12 AM

The traditional Double Wedding Ring is difficult with many pieces to join. I had Katie Flynn laser cut my fabrics, so I knew that part was accurate. The DWR is not one I'd do again strictly by piecing. Check out the other suggestions. Make a sample "square" and see how you like it before investing a lot of money in something you might not actually like doing. :-)
Old 09-18-2013, 04:42 AM

John Flynn also has a template method for DWR. I have made 2 and the most difficult part on the second one was the 4 patch at the intersections. It has been a long time and I do not remember the pattern. I also made one with pieced arcs from an older quilt book and it went together perfectly.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:50 AM

I just completed the Rings that Bind DWR QAYG for my DD surprise wedding gift. I loved the fact that it was QAYG. I made the mistake of selecting border print that did not have a close repeat, so in order not to waste a ton of fabric, the arcs match in a ring, but every ring is not the same. (Lessons learned there!) Cutting it out because of that took me 42 hours and sewing and quilting another 320 hours. It turned out nice (IMHO, of course), and everyone who has seen it is in awe of it. I'll try to post pics. I do like the method, though, and would use it again but not with a border print with repeats so far apart. And, I did figure out a few short cuts.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:05 AM

A double wedding ring is on my bucket list, just been to insecure to try it yet. Thanks to this thread and links to easy patterns, think I will give it a try after I finish my current project.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:10 AM

I am currently making Rings that Bind. It is very easy. I haven't had that much waste. I am using my embroidery machine to quilt the inside areas before I sew the final circles together. I tried doing hand quilting but didn't like the way it looked. I'm not that good at hand sewing. It takes me forever. So when I am finished attaching the last circle I am DONE. No quilting left to do. I tried making a table runner with this pattern before I started the quilt to try the pattern. The only thing I don't like about it is the pieces that make up the rings don't angle with the curve of the ring because the rings are cut from strips sewed together. If you look at the templates for rings in other patterns the rings are made from wedges where the top is a bit wider than the bottom so they look like they curve with the "ring". Keep that in mind if you decide to make the rings that bind. Other wise it is a very good way to make a Double wedding ring quilt. The only issue I have is I started this 8 years ago. My daughter keeps asking me when it will be done. I have to be in the mood to do sewing and over the years I have had alot of Life getting in the way. I just finished cleaning and arranging my current sewing room. It's only taken me 1 1/2 yrs since I moved to get it usable. So.....maybe I can finally get this done. I only have 2 more behind it to finish also for my other daughters wedding.