Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you decide what to do with your fabric ? >

How do you decide what to do with your fabric ?

How do you decide what to do with your fabric ?

Old 10-24-2013, 03:23 AM

How about doing a sampler quilt? That way you could practice all sorts of blocks and since the fabrics would be Christmas related, you could use sashing to unite them? I find catalogues, magazines, etc., all helpful. Have been known to buy fabric for a specific project only to see one I like better before I can get it made up and switch patterns before I even start. With time, the fabrics will come in very handy. Table toppers, table runners, etc.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:44 AM

Just in time to make yourself a Christmas quilt! May I suggest the pattern Cactus Wreath, by Cozy Quilt Designs, for a fairly quick and easy, but beautiful one? Or, if you're wanting more of a challenge, I'd go with the pattern "Eureka!"
Old 10-24-2013, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by schoolteacher View Post
Hmmmmm...Rag Christmas tree? Would be interesting....Is there a pattern for this?
I won't need a pattern. It's just squares and you can see one on the gallery site on this board.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:01 AM

Recently, there was a post on here where someone said they make Christmas stockings to be filled and sent to our soldiers overseas.
Or perhaps you could sort out your Christmas stash into groups that look good together, add solids to help blend them and make planned scrappy projects. There is a thread here called the Scrappy Quilt Show that is just loaded with great ideas.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:12 AM

I made a log cabin using Christmas fabrics. I've been thinking that after Christmas I am going to go through my stash and make my own 'kits' and use the patterns I've been saving and coordinate them with the fabrics I have on hand. I might be able to open a kit store.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:05 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

Haha, I'm getting too old to worry about the "perfect" pattern for each fabric. I want to sew and leave the kids a few sewn things. I want to warm up a few lost or abused animals. I just enjoy the sewing and creating process. Too poor to have a stash so when I get a few bucks-I find something that speaks to me, or cut up clothes and go for it!
Old 10-25-2013, 06:00 AM
Power Poster

This is why I keep a big collection of quilts on Pinterest. When I need inspiration for fabrics I want to use, I peruse my boards there.
http://www.pinterest.com/bonbonevans/quilty-goodness/
http://www.pinterest.com/bonbonevans/quilts-for-kids/
Old 10-25-2013, 06:45 AM

How about Christmas mug rugs? I just got a pattern & kit for some from Connecting Threads using fat quarters. Actually, it is for napkins also.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:49 AM

You can still do it the way you are used to. The only difference will be that your first shopping stop will be at your stash! Just think of it as your own personal store. After you've shopped at home you can go to other stores for the rest of what you need. When you do go to the LQS or where ever buy extra (1 - 2 yds), especially if it's on sale, to add to your stash for future projects.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:26 AM

Sometimes I buy fabric first because it is fabulous and/or has a fabulous price. Although I usually need more fabrics to go with, I eventually find the perfect quilt pattern in which to use it. I always have several large quilts in progress at once, but when my quilt voice tells me it is time to start something new, I go to my huge selection of pictures (from catalogs), magazines and books to browse through for ideas. Also I have a lot of nifty quilt PDFs stored in my computer and a huge number of bookmarked pictures of quilts here at QB. Do you have a "picture/pattern" stash you can browse through? I recommend you ask Keepsake Quilting to put you on their catalog mailing list, if you are not already on it; their lovely pix of quilts are many and varied (also seasonal).