Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you decide what to do with your fabric ? >

How do you decide what to do with your fabric ?

How do you decide what to do with your fabric ?

Old 10-23-2013, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

My friend says that fabric has to age in your stash before it's ready to be used. That seems to be what my stash is doing now. Eventually it will tell you how it wants to be used.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
My friend says that fabric has to age in your stash before it's ready to be used. That seems to be what my stash is doing now. Eventually it will tell you how it wants to be used.
Oh, I like this way of thinking! I've purchases quite a bit of fabric this year with no particular project in mind. I sure hope it talks to me someday. At least I'll have a stash to shop from which is always fun to do. Good luck finding a way to use your holiday fabric! I would definitely check the web and quilting magazines for ideas.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:36 PM

Make a fabric box to hold your Christmas Cards. I've made a bunch of fabric bags to use as reuseable wrapping for christmas gifts. They can be returned to you to fill up again, or could stay with the recipient.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:40 PM
yel

a friend of mine has a boston commons quilt made of christmas fabrics it is very nice
Old 10-23-2013, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingfan View Post
I have always decided what quilt design I want to make then I go buy the fabric for it. Last year after Christmas i decided that I would take my Christmas money from my parents and buy Christmas fabric while it was on sale. Now I have all these different fabrics and i do not know what to do with them. So I am asking your advice , how do I get inspired by this fabric? What is the next step? I feel like I am doing it backwards and this is the reason I only have scraps for a stash..LOL
Check the quilt gallery on this site. One thing I'm going to do this fall is the rag Christmas tree. There are loads of runners which are a seasonal piece. Mug rugs matched with thrift store mugs for small gifts. Make yourself a vest. Or a quilted jumper. Or a jacket. Or a hat. Or tissue covers. Or pot holders. Or purses. Or shopping bags----------they are great as wrapping paper, too.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Elisabrat View Post
oh dear I must really be rear backwards! I always find fabric that says OH BUY ME then I figure out what to do with it and sometimes it takes a couple years .. like oh I want to make a blue quilt.. what do I have??? or I get in a swap that has a theme and suddenly.. tada I can use that fabric! I never go the other way around and pick a pattern then shop for fabric. never.. sigh should have known I was doing something wrong (really can shopping for fabric be all THAT bad? no no it can't is the answer). if I had Christmas fabric I would look for table runner patterns or wall hanging patterns. maybe you could post your fabric then we could all drool and kibitz.. stockings, you could make stockings, Christmas tree skirt.. oh so many things. you could send it to me to relieve yourself of the burden of making something with it. I always collect holiday fabrics.
That fabric that just screams at you will fill a sewing room quick.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:52 PM

Check out the Christmas table runner tutorials on the Missouri Star Quilt Shop site. They are just too cute and will make great gift items. Hope you like them.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:25 PM

www.fatquarters.com has a free christmas quilt pattern, with a tutorial to make each 10 xmas blocks go on there website and look under block of the month on there top home page or try www.youtube.com for more ideas just type in christmas quilts or xmas projects i know you'll find more ideas there too
Old 10-23-2013, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Elisabrat View Post
oh dear I must really be rear backwards! I always find fabric that says OH BUY ME then I figure out what to do with it and sometimes it takes a couple years .. like oh I want to make a blue quilt.. what do I have??? or I get in a swap that has a theme and suddenly.. tada I can use that fabric! I never go the other way around and pick a pattern then shop for fabric. never.. sigh should have known I was doing something wrong (really can shopping for fabric be all THAT bad? no no it can't is the answer). if I had Christmas fabric I would look for table runner patterns or wall hanging patterns. maybe you could post your fabric then we could all drool and kibitz.. stockings, you could make stockings, Christmas tree skirt.. oh so many things. you could send it to me to relieve yourself of the burden of making something with it. I always collect holiday fabrics.

No...I tend to do it the same way as you. I'm afraid that finding a pattern first, walking in to the store and trying to decide would then take the rest of the day! There is so much beautiful fabric in the stores in the states. My decisions are mostly out of my control because of the lack of beautiful fabrics here. So, I collect when I'm in the states, and find what I can find here. Then, I go looking for patterns that might work with what I have.

Mostly.

Sometimes I collect with a pattern in mind, but usually have to wait for a while to get them all together (for example, I collected AK fabrics for some time to make my husband's Alaska quilt.)
Old 10-24-2013, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Check the quilt gallery on this site. One thing I'm going to do this fall is the rag Christmas tree. There are loads of runners which are a seasonal piece. Mug rugs matched with thrift store mugs for small gifts. Make yourself a vest. Or a quilted jumper. Or a jacket. Or a hat. Or tissue covers. Or pot holders. Or purses. Or shopping bags----------they are great as wrapping paper, too.
Hmmmmm...Rag Christmas tree? Would be interesting....Is there a pattern for this?