Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to use fabric from stash >

How to use fabric from stash

How to use fabric from stash

Old 01-20-2014, 05:26 AM

I'm another one that doesn't have a huge stash because I buy fabrics for the quilt I'm making and my stash consists of fabric left overs. I always buy extra fabric because I don't want to run out.... = bonus. Anyway, lately I've been buying fabric at estate sales and auctions so my fabric stash has increased quite a bit. And, I'm feeling the same as many I read about here.... there's not enough of one piece of fabric for the quilt I want to make.

I haven't made very many scrappy quilts but I do love them. And I use many small pieces of fabric for applique. I love applique. So, if my stash grows.... that's okay. If it gets smaller because I use some of those fabrics.... that's good. I've already told my daughter that she has a lot of quilting stuff to deal with when I'm gone. She doesn't want to hear it but she's been warned.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:28 AM

Many great suggestions! Just a slightly different slant. I almost always make queen sized quilts. Rule of thumb, takes approx. 9 yards of fabric, since I like controlled scrappy it is easy to pull five coordinating two yard lengths from my stash. Another thing that I learned from Bonnie Hunter, you can use approx. the same color in the same quilt in the same place in the pattern, it just adds interest. I guess what I am really saying is the choosing can be as much fun as all the other parts of making a quilt. Just relax and enjoy.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:28 AM

I make scrap quilts, mouse pads, mug rugs. I use them to practice new block patterns (then when I have a bunch of those, I make a quilt with all of those. I choose a fabric to sash them so they all look great)
Old 01-20-2014, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by pattilynn View Post
I make scrap quilts, mouse pads, mug rugs. I use them to practice new block patterns (then when I have a bunch of those, I make a quilt with all of those. I choose a fabric to sash them so they all look great)
One more thing, all fabrics will look good together, that's the good thing about scrappy quilts. I sew fabrics together to make larger blocks, strips and make lap quilts, there is no real pattern, just sew them together back and bind. all different colors, prints. I did these for charity quilts they go fast and look beautiful. I quilt them using my embroidery machine. I gave them to a nursing home, everyone loved them.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:55 AM

Love the DeNovo pattern. Seems to be a variation of the Turning Twenty, with a small sash added.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:56 AM

When I find a pattern, I shop my stash first and then add to what I need (need????) later. That way I at least use one or two of my stash before I venture out and buy more.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:18 AM

It sounds to me that your problem is not being able to put colors together. I think you can solve your problem permanently for about $20, if you take Joen Wolfram's class on color theory on Craftsy.com. She's an excellent teacher (I have had a number of her classes in person) and really knows what she is doing with color. I've learned a lot from her, always use a color wheel, and have had many compliments on the colors I put together. Craftsy has sales on classes from time to time. Joen has several tools and books for sale for determining color combinations; most quilt shops carry them.

There's an out-of-print book by Jenny Beyer called Color Confidence that is also very helpful.

Cricket
Old 01-20-2014, 05:47 PM

I strive to reorganize my stash at least once a year. When I do this I find inspiration hits me. I see pieces that call to each other, and I separate them out into bins for projects to get started. By the time I have these completed, and have bought more to add to the stash, it's time to get it all out again and repeat the process.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:59 PM

Right now Craftsy has a free class on color usage you can take, also. I just signed up for it last week.

My stash has really grown because I buy lots of clothing, linens, etc. to deconstruct from thrift stores. As long as they are cotton, I'm good to go! Also, I sort my stash by color.

What works best for me is picking the focus fabric and then finding things to go with it. After I have a pile of fabrics that I like together.... I often pick as many as 10 or 12, then I look for a pattern. Once I find a pattern, then I fine-tune my fabric stack to suit the pattern needs.

A really fun thing I do sometimes is set the timer for 30 minutes and see how many sets of fabrics I can pull. By doing that, I improve my color picking skills. Making those snap decisions is good because it keeps me from thinking about it too long so sharpens my eye.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:14 PM
Power Poster

Maybe a nice scrappy one. This is a braid I am working on. Still deciding what to put for the sashing.
Attached Thumbnails reinedinwithgreysashing.jpg