Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to use fabric from stash >

How to use fabric from stash

How to use fabric from stash

Old 01-19-2014, 03:55 PM

I work from my stash a lot, but while I can find most of the fabrics for a quilt in my stash, I usually need to go to my LQS to add one more to complete the design. I figure that if I use five fabrics from my stash and buy one, I am still reducing the stash and will be happier with the result. If I used one from the stash and bought five, that's a problem.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
This is one reason I don't have a stash. What stash I do have is leftovers from projects. I would not have a clue how to go about selecting a pattern to go with existing fabric. Different from collecting particular fabrics for a specific project - as I am in the process of doing now.

If you like scrappy??? I'm sure other stashers will be along to give you some pointers.
Me too, just can't afford to buy material without knowing how much of it I need. And then to buy coordinating fabrics or hope you find coordinating later when the line is discontinued, too many variables to me. I always buy most fabrics with pattern in mind. If I see a fabric I like I might use it for small bags or accessories so usually only buy 1-2 yards so I have made myself several kits by taking patterns I plan on making and buying fabric accordingly. less surprises later
Old 01-19-2014, 09:39 PM

I have bought fabric on a whim and put them in my stash, but mostly I buy/collect fabrics with a project in mind. I collected red, black and white FQ's for over a year for a Turning Twenty quilt. I plan on making another one with just the purchased "whim' fabric. Scrappy quilts turn out nice too. : ]
Old 01-19-2014, 10:12 PM

I have focus fabrics and a lot of blenders. Since I only make quilts with at most 5 different fabrics (color deficiency), I rummage through my focus fabrics, get excited about one, and then hunt for the companion fabrics among the blenders.

Also, I tend to make very brightly colored quilts because the colors are much clearer to me than pastels.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:40 AM

I am a scrappy quilter too so working from my stash suits me fine. For a non scrappy quilter I agree with cathyvv's method.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:18 AM
Power Poster

try reversing your process...choose a 'focus fabric' from your stash you would like to make something out of, then pull coordinates that go with your focus fabric- then when you see what you have look for a pattern you like that would work with the fabrics you have picked out. think of your stash as shopping at the quilt shop- scraps can be cut into *pre-cuts* and organized into 'charm packs, jelly rolls, layer cakes & fat quarters' then you can choose patterns that use those precuts when you feel you have enough *like 20 fat quarters- for a 'turning 20' quilt* or a good assortment of 2 1/2" strips for a jelly roll race quilt---there are lots of options out there- start with the fabric.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:01 AM

I love having my stash, because I can usually make whatever I want whenever I want and not have to purchase anything at all for the project. Just consider your stash your personal quilt shop. Choose a pattern that excites you, "shop at home" and you'll see how much fun that is!
Old 01-20-2014, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
I love having my stash, because I can usually make whatever I want whenever I want and not have to purchase anything at all for the project. Just consider your stash your personal quilt shop. Choose a pattern that excites you, "shop at home" and you'll see how much fun that is!
I so Agree especially when I know I bought them on sale/discount price compared to the regular price.

I would try to go to your stash and study them, organize them by color or theme. You will find that you may have more of a certain color and very few of others. Most people have more of the medium shades compared to the others.
If you have a lot of small cut pieces, like many suggested Quiltville.com is a good resource.
When I buy I always ask: is this a Focus fabric, Accent fabric, or background fabric. That determines how much I will purchase.
Don't let your Stash intimidate you. It is there saying "we want to play".
Old 01-20-2014, 04:39 AM

Most of my stash consists of remnants (less than 1 yd and 50% off the sale prices), fabrics from the clearance section at JoAnns and FQs and yardage purchased at quilters garage sales. The few pieces of LQS fabrics I have were selected from the bargain bin. When I start a quilt, I try to select a focus fabric from my stash, and build on it from there. I'll pull stacks and stacks of remnants and pieces out of the drawers and audition them with the focus fabric. Often I can get the bulk of my selections from my stash, and then head to the store for a couple more to finish out the color palette.
It takes time and practice. I'm still practicing.- I've only been quilting since 2011, but have made nearly 40 quilts.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

I seem to have your same problem.