Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 05-02-2014, 08:38 AM

CD that machine and treadle will look great together. Is the treadle straight grained oak or walnut? It looks more like oak from here.
Steve those decals are great given the age of the machine. Does your daughter know it's for her? I think she's going to love it.
Rodney
Old 05-02-2014, 08:42 AM

I think it's oak, Rodney.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 05-02-2014, 11:14 AM

Sunflower, I was given exactly that model of Touch and Sew, which I haven't touched yet, probably because of it's reputation. I'll be interested to know about your experiences.

My husband brought home his co-workers problematic Kenmore last night. I haven't even opened it yet to confirm what it is. She says the tension is off and it's making thread nests. Without even looking, I'm suspecting operator error and not holding thread tails. We will see!

Cricket
Old 05-09-2014, 11:21 AM

I have the 1911 Singer 66-1 and 1916 treadle sewing today. Both the head and the treadle could use some more cleaning, but I’ll let the new owner do that. I just wanted them to work good together.

I had to make a center pin for the automatic tension release. I used a 1 1/4” brad, whittled down with a bench grinder, and sized to length. It’s about as easy doing that as it is finding one the correct length in my parts bin. I like to be able to see just a tiny gap between the end of the pin and the release lever, so that I know for sure that the tension is not being effected when the foot is down. The “old timers” used to use an old needle for a pin. I’ve found two or three of them so far, and they seem to work just fine.

I took a photo of the #32564 Bobbin Winder Frame Spring that I made too. It’s the one that fits on the BW style that has no rubber ring, but runs on the treadle belt instead. I wound a bobbin and discovered that the BW will load slightly too much thread on the bobbin before it kicks out, but there weren’t any adjustments on these BWs, short of bending the finger that rides on the thread, so I’m leaving it that way and will warn the next owner.

Too much thread on the bobbin won’t let the thread feed off of it good, and I got some puckers when I first started test-sewing. I pulled one layer of thread back off of the bobbin and everything went fine after that. I’m afraid of breaking the finger, so I hate to try bending it, because I don’t know if I have a replacement if it breaks. It’s definitely an obsolete winder, but it layers the thread pretty good. The next bobbin may fill and feed just fine after kick-out, and get better after more use.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine314_06.jpg   machine314_07a.jpg   machine314_08.jpg  
Old 05-15-2014, 03:35 AM

I’m cleaning up a 1925 Singer 127 for a friend. She found it in a yardsale somewhere, it’s been electrified with a Universal motor, and is not that unusual, but I found an interesting thing in it.

The felt in the round hole to lube the shuttle appears to have been replaced by a cigarette filter trimmed down to fit the hole. No idea how well it worked. The filter was dry, and the hole through into the shuttle travel was sealed off with dried oil and dirt. The filter didn’t smell of nicotine, so perhaps they used a new cigarette to obtain their filter material.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 05-15-2014, 03:50 AM
Power Poster

just when you think you have seen it all....
Old 05-15-2014, 07:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
I’m cleaning up a 1925 Singer 127 for a friend. She found it in a yardsale somewhere, it’s been electrified with a Universal motor, and is not that unusual, but I found an interesting thing in it.

The felt in the round hole to lube the shuttle appears to have been replaced by a cigarette filter trimmed down to fit the hole. No idea how well it worked. The filter was dry, and the hole through into the shuttle travel was sealed off with dried oil and dirt. The filter didn’t smell of nicotine, so perhaps they used a new cigarette to obtain their filter material.

CD in Oklahoma
LOL! this should go in the "what did you find in your machine" thread....
Old 05-15-2014, 07:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
CD that machine and treadle will look great together. Is the treadle straight grained oak or walnut? It looks more like oak from here.
Steve those decals are great given the age of the machine. Does your daughter know it's for her? I think she's going to love it.
Rodney
Yes, she picked the machine from a set of thee options.

Funny thing is I originally got it as a motorized machine from my EX (her mother)
Old 05-23-2014, 12:59 PM

I ordered parts for a crinkle finish Singer 66-18 a co-worker gave me for free because his friend was cleaning out a storage unit and was going to throw it in the trash! Please hurry, Mr. Mailman and bring those parts!
Attached Thumbnails 66-img_0057x.jpg  
Old 05-27-2014, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs Finch View Post
I ordered parts for a crinkle finish Singer 66-18....
Did your parts come in yet?

I turned a Singer 66-18 into a “stealth sewer” handcrank machine for my son-in-law. I cleaned up and painted some old rusty parts with flat black paint and substituted them for the original parts to make as much of the machine black as I could without disturbing the original machine or how it sewed.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine243_14.jpg  

FREE Quilting Newsletter