Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 01-08-2015, 10:59 AM

Oh Steve, you know we love these games.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:46 AM

Singer Turtle Back?
Old 01-08-2015, 11:53 AM

it looks half howe, half something else

singer #1
Old 01-08-2015, 12:31 PM

Was it used with the user facing the needle (like a longarm machine today)? Only made for a couple of years?
Old 01-08-2015, 04:43 PM
Banned

HINT #2: This model is the very first of it's kind ever made.
(this particular unit has a 5 digit serial number)

It is used like a typical machine today arms are oriented right to left.
(Handwheel is on the right, needle is on the left)

HINT #3: It is NOT a Vibrating Shuttle OR a Transverse Shuttle.

It is NOT a mixed machine. This is how it was built
(one small lower part in the picture is a replacement)

EDIT: and the coolest thing is that I get to leave work in 10 minutes and go home and play with it!!!!!!!

Last edited by SteveH; 01-08-2015 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:55 PM

Oh Lawd! I don't know enough history to guess but I am picking up on your excitement and it has to be something really really wonderful!
Old 01-08-2015, 06:44 PM

I've never seen a white chain stitch, only thing I can think with a round hole in that plate is a shaw & clark
Old 01-08-2015, 09:14 PM

Christy,
LOL! I think that's why I always rebuild both tensions with every machine I get. I can get the nasty rusty or oily lint out of the bobbin case tension and fix what's been fiddled with on the upper tension and get no surprises when I try to test sew. In fact, I just assume I'm rebuilding anything that can come apart with a simple screwdriver that comes in the accessories kit. The stitch length adjuster is a little weird but it's easy to put back together.

I'm assuming that it's humidity, it's the only thing that's changing and I read in an old Elna manual that "When thread is too dry, it becomes brittle; it regains its strength when placed near an open window overnight." That's actually what made me start paying attention to it to begin with. I'm thinking the thread's brittle, the fabric's dry and sandpapery, maybe there's even a little static being introduced... Now, with our weather hovering around the -40F mark with the windchill the last couple of nights, there's no way I'm leaving a window open. It's not worth freezing the pipes and me to make the thread and Lucey happier!

No fiddling today, I was overrun by my sourdough starter so spent the day baking bread and pizza crusts. Managed to get a quilt loaded on Lucey so tomorrow will likely be more french polishing and some quilting. A good way to spend a Friday.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:37 PM
Banned

Cleaned up the undercarriage.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]505343[/ATTACH]

This is a Grover & Baker Hand crank. The world first portable sewing machine. it is also the first sewing machine that used two spools one above one below no bobbin and no shuttle. The case/cabinet is back east with the owner. I will be constructing a new handle and make replacement spool holders.

side note: that big giant hand wheel is actually silver plated
Attached Thumbnails img20150108_213119.jpg  
Old 01-09-2015, 06:06 AM

I don't know why the 2-spool idea ever went by the wayside for home sewing. I'd love it if I could stick a big honkin' cone of thread above and below on my main quilter.

I'm very curious to see the rest of this machine! I know nothing about machines from that era, other than that they "look cool" and are totally fascinating, lol.

FREE Quilting Newsletter