Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 01-02-2015, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
Unfortunately, I know from experience, that cats will mark anything they happen to back up to! It used to drive me nuts, but we no longer have any cats, so I'm relieved of that experience.

Jeanette
You know it's funny. I hear people say that all the time but none of my girls have ever "marked" anything. I think it's more of a boy cat thing. I've had many sewing machines here that have been peed on prior to arrival though.

My grey lady used to remind me that the litter box was overdue for cleaning by getting my dirty laundry.

The Queen (stormi) used to perpendicular park her rear end in my computer tower when I used to leave the case off for extra ventilation. She didn't help the ventilation situation at all! But she never peed. Now I keep server towers closed and the door to the office closed. So she sleeps on my quilting frame instead.

The Jester (Shadow) just likes to rub up against and love her sewing machines. She's still put out that I got rid of the 503. That was her machine. Also not a pee-er.

In fact the only time I've ever had trouble with improper elimination - other than the apparently necessary reminders when I was younger - is when someone had a bladder infection or the beginning of kidney disease - which so far two of our girls have gone through.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I got the 401A working this evening. Whoever was in it last had a part put in wrong. I don't know the name of it but it's hooked to a spring and keeps the flapper riding against the cam followers. It was turned the wrong way and was blocking the full range of vertical motion for the outside dial's cam follower. Don't ask me the real names of any of these parts. I'm just happy I was able to figure it out. I'm guessing that this might have been the reason the machine found it's way to the thrift store.

The upper tension also fell apart in my hand when I tried to adjust it. I probably spent 2 hours fiddling just getting this machine working. It still has a few stickers that need removed and a thorough cleaning ahead of it but I do like the way it sews. It's a smooth, powerful and fast machine.

Tammi I'll be reading more of your blog again. This machine has the button controller and it needs adjusted, probably cleaned too. Thanks for the tutorials on how to do it. I'm not getting any real midrange on the speed.

This machine was a complete, at least partially working machine in the condition I found it. I'm still not done fixing and cleaning it. I think it's a good example of why a fully serviced machine that's actually clean and ready to be used is worth far more than a $25 thrift store find like this one. I'm not sure what it would have cost to have the work done in a shop but I'm certain it would be far more than the purchase price of the machine.

I've played with the machine enough already to see why people like this series of machine so much. It gets a solid vote of approval from Olivia too. I don't think I'll be selling it, Olivia won't let me.
Rodney
Good job!! I find even the clean looking, well maintained machines tend to need a couple of hours. The thrift store finds rarely fall into that category!

I'm glad you're getting value out of the site. I don't post as much as I'd like so when I do, I try to make it a doozie! (<-firefox wants me to change that last word to "floosie"!)

As for what that service would cost consider this: A regular service is what in your area? That covers probably a lot of but not all of the work you did or will do and may still not have addressed the issue with the spring. That would depend on how good the technician was. The tensioner should have been addressed by that service. Frozen parts or otherwise misbehaving parts might have cost extra. Keep a tally of how long you spent on that and multiply by a local shop's hourly rate. Now consider that the service you got would probably include a damp cloth wipe down of the machine, nothing in depth like what most of us do so there would be hours of work after it came home too.

For a little perspective - the going rate in Edmonton is about $80 for a service and about $85/hr for "repair" work.

I'm glad to hear that the machine has found a forever home with you! It's an excellent machine, just make sure you and Olivia exercise it and oil it regularly and it will never freeze up.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:23 AM
Power Poster

Rodney, Olivia has very good tastes. You wouldn't sell that machine - sell something else but let her play with that one. She has earned the privilege of using that wonderful machine and her sewing will improve so much it will knock your eyes out.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:31 PM

I've never priced sewing machine labor. I know if I had to pay someone I couldn't afford it. $85 an hour is probably pretty close. It's been a while but the last time I checked hourly labor rates in other fields it was around $75 an hour.

I'm trying to convince Olivia it would be a good 4H machine. She wants to use a free arm though. We both had fun playing with the different built in stitch combinations last night. I was sewing some canvas today. It goes through 4 layers like it isn't there. I haven't tried more yet. The project I'm working on didn't require it.
It's rapidly becoming a favorite of mine.
Olivia wants to say something. Here she is.
This 401 is the best machine I've worked on yet! This machine went straight to my #1 favorite right before my 101. My review is 10 out of 10 stars.
olivia
Old 01-02-2015, 11:40 PM

Olivia! You have great taste! The 401 is good for almost anything you'll try to do with it. Super stretchy knits and free motion quilting are maybe not it's strongest suits but it will do anything else you ask of it.

The 2 201s (they came after your 101 but are pretty much the same) that I have are a couple of my favorite machines too.

I agree that the 401 would be a great 4H machine. I started with a free arm machine and could sew on anything I choose these days and my go to machines are either flatbeds - the 411G and the 201 - or a free arm (Pfaff 6122) but almost always with the bed on, so used as a flatbed.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:25 AM
Power Poster

Olivia, free arms are overrated but if you can find an Elna... Until you do, just learn to turn your work so you don't really need one. The 401 is a really good machine and it will serve you well. The 401 and the 403 are 2 of my favorite machines. For just beating around I have an old Singer 15-75.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:26 AM

Tammi,

I stand corrected -- it is the male cats who "mark" their territory.

I can't tell you anything about a 401 having never used one, but I sure love my 403A! I have almost finished piecing a state-flower embroidered quilt -- my 87 year old aunt embroidered the blocks, and her cutting wasn't real square -- I went through and tried to re-cut them perfectly square, but the blocks had already been embroidered, perhaps a little too tight -- anyway, it's been a struggle, then ran 6-8 inches short on my border fabric -- so back to the fabric store I go! I used the 403A to piece this quilt top and it's done a superior job! I really don't have any complaints on any of my machines -- beginning with my 328K. I have reservations the two 750's my son brought home, but then I've not used them much.!

Jeanette

Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 01-06-2015 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
Tammi,

I stand corrected -- it is the male cats who "mark" their territory.
Jeanette
That's what I thought too. Until I saw my feral born female back up to where a neighbors male had just marked the side of my house and she marked over his. I've had Sweet Pea for 9 years and always blamed the neighbors male cats, now I know better.

Cari
Old 01-06-2015, 11:58 AM

yes female cats pee all over the place, anytime you see a cat wiggle / shake it's tail, it just pee'd on your chair. females don't smell quite as strong as a male..

There's a reason the legs on your treadle are getting rusty in the house.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:33 PM

I think maybe I've been lucky. I've never had a female mark and haven't had a male cat.

One of the girls will paw around after she uses the litterbox then do this manic charge around the house. When we hear that we know to give her a few minutes to wear the stink off her paws.

FREE Quilting Newsletter