Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 12-31-2014, 09:03 PM

Rodney! That's an awesome deal!

Outside pushes and turns, the inside pulls and turns. It's very easy to clean up. There are a few really common spots that tend to get gummed up.
Google: "Stuck in the Middle" Singer Slant
The first hit will help you out.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:52 PM

Thanks Tammi! Right now I have it unloaded and under the overhang on the garage. I'll find a place indoors for it in the morning then see about putting some oil on it, at least to get things soaking a bit before I get serious. The only reason I bought it is because I know they generally sell for much higher than that. I've passed on too many machines I've regretted later. I didn't want to make the same mistake again. I still have a stronger interest in the old black straight stitch machines though. I guess for me simpler is better.
Rodney
Old 12-31-2014, 09:58 PM

Tammi I'm still reading your blog entry. I just had to say I really like that 431G you have! That is one seriously nice machine.
Rodney
Old 12-31-2014, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
The only reason I bought it is because I know they generally sell for much higher than that. I've passed on too many machines I've regretted later. I didn't want to make the same mistake again. I still have a stronger interest in the old black straight stitch machines though. I guess for me simpler is better.
Usually I feel the same about the simpler machines. I do think I will always have one Slant-O-Matic in my stable though. By far, my favorite is the 411G. Same machine as the 431G but a flatbed instead of an open arm. Once you figure out the little quirks about the design of that machine, you might just love it.

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Tammi I'm still reading your blog entry. I just had to say I really like that 431G you have! That is one seriously nice machine.
Rodney
I never did bond with the 431Gs. I don't know why. I've heard of people saying they slip out of time and one of the ones I had needed to be timed for no apparent reason after a bit of use but then I found a couple of loose set screws on the shaft leading to the hook gear. Interestingly, nothing I ever touched prior to that. As far as I know, it never slipped time again though. I replaced a hook in the other one.

ETA: Yeah, sorry about that. I'm not very good at short posts.

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 12-31-2014 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:24 PM

ETA: Yeah, sorry about that. I'm not very good at short posts.

lol! I love your posts! Always informative and ​entertaining.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:55 PM

Well, I have to say I probably ask a lot of questions -- my knowledge is not that great-- but my son's is and he's always ready to help. It's not understanding what needs to be done, sometimes it's just brute strength -- I have little of that in my hands and arms (having had 3 surgeries on each one a number of years ago). Don't get me wrong, I no longer have pain in my hands and arms, thank God, but I don't have much strength there! My real "drive me nuts" issue right now is the presser bar is "frozen" or "Stuck" on my Singer 202. I keep lubricating and applying TriFlow every day, but it's still being stubborn! I know it will eventually loosen up!

I have been doing a lot of reading lately on some of the things going on with my machines, but reading is about all I've been able to do! This, too, shall pass!

Jeanette
Old 12-31-2014, 11:30 PM

Miriam,

Feel free to sound off! I know I can ask a lot of "stupid" questions, but I do try to find answers before I ask them! LOL!

Jeanette
Old 12-31-2014, 11:54 PM

Unfortunately, I know from experience, that cats will mark anything they happen to back up to! It used to drive me nuts, but we no longer have any cats, so I'm relieved of that experience.

Jeanette
Old 01-01-2015, 02:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
Miriam,

Feel free to sound off! I know I can ask a lot of "stupid" questions, but I do try to find answers before I ask them! LOL!

Jeanette
It's not you...
Old 01-01-2015, 08:55 PM

I got the 401A working this evening. Whoever was in it last had a part put in wrong. I don't know the name of it but it's hooked to a spring and keeps the flapper riding against the cam followers. It was turned the wrong way and was blocking the full range of vertical motion for the outside dial's cam follower. Don't ask me the real names of any of these parts. I'm just happy I was able to figure it out. I'm guessing that this might have been the reason the machine found it's way to the thrift store.

The upper tension also fell apart in my hand when I tried to adjust it. I probably spent 2 hours fiddling just getting this machine working. It still has a few stickers that need removed and a thorough cleaning ahead of it but I do like the way it sews. It's a smooth, powerful and fast machine.

Tammi I'll be reading more of your blog again. This machine has the button controller and it needs adjusted, probably cleaned too. Thanks for the tutorials on how to do it. I'm not getting any real midrange on the speed.

This machine was a complete, at least partially working machine in the condition I found it. I'm still not done fixing and cleaning it. I think it's a good example of why a fully serviced machine that's actually clean and ready to be used is worth far more than a $25 thrift store find like this one. I'm not sure what it would have cost to have the work done in a shop but I'm certain it would be far more than the purchase price of the machine.

I've played with the machine enough already to see why people like this series of machine so much. It gets a solid vote of approval from Olivia too. I don't think I'll be selling it, Olivia won't let me.
Rodney

FREE Quilting Newsletter