Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 02-19-2015, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Glenn is that the machine we lost the screw and took all day to find it? We were all over that floor... it was between the wall and the floor. If so, it was my intro to getting the old leaf tension machines functioning.
Yes this is the one we lost the screw to. Did we not have fun trying to find the thing.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:09 PM
Power Poster

Today I worked on an abused Singer 301 I got a couple months ago. The machine was seized up when I got it so I oiled it up and set it out of my way. So today I got took apart the shuttle and pulled thread and lint out of it, oiled it, took apart the tension and cleaned it up.... I pulled a bobbin case out of the other 301 and it sews real nice. Did I mention it didn't come with a bobbin case or power cord??? In the OSMG's stuff I had a bobbin case in parts. I got it out and figured out there are broken parts in there. ARGH. To make this one work is going to involve buying a bobbin case if one can be found. The other possibility is to buy one of the Chinese made cases. Anybody know/experience anything about Chinese 301 bobbin cases? Are bobbin case parts available for a 301? I do know sew-classic has discontinued selling them. Edit. I found parts on Ebay I wonder how hard it would be to put them on the case I have? Then I wonder if they are any good. Sure would be cheaper.

Last edited by miriam; 02-19-2015 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Today I worked on an abused Singer 301 I got a couple months ago. The machine was seized up when I got it so I oiled it up and set it out of my way. So today I got took apart the shuttle and pulled thread and lint out of it, oiled it, took apart the tension and cleaned it up.... I pulled a bobbin case out of the other 301 and it sews real nice. Did I mention it didn't come with a bobbin case or power cord??? In the OSMG's stuff I had a bobbin case in parts. I got it out and figured out there are broken parts in there. ARGH. To make this one work is going to involve buying a bobbin case if one can be found. The other possibility is to buy one of the Chinese made cases. Anybody know/experience anything about Chinese 301 bobbin cases? Are bobbin case parts available for a 301? I do know sew-classic has discontinued selling them. Edit. I found parts on Ebay I wonder how hard it would be to put them on the case I have? Then I wonder if they are any good. Sure would be cheaper.
I guess it would depend on which parts are broken. I've placed screws and springs with the alphasew parts. I didn't love the screws. They fit but are brittle. The tension springs can be too. The other spring - for the latch - seems to be doing fine.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:48 PM
Power Poster

The tension spring is there and screwed down. The latch is broken - metal sheared off and part of it is gone - no screws or springs. I compared it to a good one. I'm betting I would have to buy the latch and a spring and scrounge screws off another bobbin case and hope they fit.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:17 PM

The pin for the latch and the whole latch with pin are both still available as third party replacements. You're looking for 206731 for the pin and 206736 for the whole latch and sundry bits. Tension screw numbers look like 201016 and 200592.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
The pin for the latch and the whole latch with pin are both still available as third party replacements. You're looking for 206731 for the pin and 206736 for the whole latch and sundry bits. Tension screw numbers look like 201016 and 200592.
Cost wise, would I be as well off buying a bobbin case and if it doesn't work transfer the parts onto the other one? ARGH. The tension spring and screws are still on the old one and seem ok.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:46 PM

I don't know the US prices but if you need only the latch "assembly" it's less than 10% of the cost of a new bobbin case. If you're going to buy a case you'll still have a broken one besides that one. When I can, I try to make the broken ones whole so they're usable.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:18 AM
Power Poster

Tammi, I think it would be roughly more than half by the time I buy the latch, spring, screws and a pin. Then I'd have to assemble it. But which one would work the best?
Old 02-20-2015, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
....206736 for the whole latch and sundry bits.
The aftermarket 206736 latch that I got the first of the month is too thick to slide into the channel on my Singer original BC....

I wasn’t surprised.....

CD in Oklahoma
Old 02-20-2015, 08:12 AM

I have a 301 sitting here that is frozen SOLID. It had been sitting a long time before I got it. I oiled it a few weeks ago but really haven't gone any farther with it yet. One problem I'm aware of is the latch for the bobbin case is broken on mine too. It's nice to know replacements are available without replacing the whole case.

CD will yours fit with a little filing or is it really bad? No point buying the part if it won't work or can't be made to work. I don't mind modifying it if I have to though. I have far more time than money.

IIRC someone here mentioned Cindy Peters sells tested reproduction 301 bobbin cases yet. I looked the other day and I think they were under $40.
Rodney

FREE Quilting Newsletter