Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >
  • Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

• Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 11-11-2014, 10:19 AM

I have just stumbled on to Bonnie Hunter. Should you do one of her other quilts before trying the mystery quilt?

I have never done a mystery quilt before so am a little nervous.

Thanks for any insights.
    Old 11-11-2014, 10:22 AM

I have settled on my fabrics, for the most part. I had some pinks and blues in my stash, hardly any bright green or black. My stash pinks tended to be somewhat warmer than the color card, so I went with this warmer version of the pink.

I had trouble choosing a yellow. I decided I needed to see smaller pieces, so I prepared my fabrics for cutting and worked with the scraps I had left over after I'd straightened all the edges. My fabric stacks are quite flat now (being folded for cutting), so I photographed the scraps instead.

With the scraps on the wall, it was easy to see which yellow worked best. I also realized I had a lot of toned down fabrics that looked terrible, so I got rid of those.

It was surprising to me how the fabrics looked all together. When I'd had the scraps separated by color, it all seemed so bright. With the fabrics together, it does not look as bright to me. I decided only my white neutrals were working. If things start looking too cluttered, I may switch to white on white fabrics for the neutrals.

I like the palette better without the black. Actually, on the circle photo, I vastly prefer the side without the yellow (ran out of strips). Does this mean I have the wrong yellow, or that I don't like yellow with black? I feel as though I need a brighter, stronger, more orange yellow, but I have been striking out when ordering on line, and I haven't found anything appropriate at my usual stomping grounds.

Maybe use mid-grays for the black? But that would most likely mess up the pattern. I don't care for the darker grays. A deep purple might be the best alternative to black. I will probably stick with black in the end.
    Attached Thumbnails imgp8276.jpg   imgp8274.jpg   imgp8278.jpg   imgp8269.jpg   imgp8273.jpg  

imgp8268.jpg   imgp8270.jpg   imgp8271.jpg   imgp8272.jpg  
    Old 11-11-2014, 10:52 AM

Joe'smom, I love it.
    Old 11-11-2014, 12:02 PM

joe'smom, I love the shades you are using! Is the yellow the one we had messaged about? I think it has more white in it than mine (there were several prints in the line), but the same color. If you can find something a bit more vibrant, try that.

Also, remember than there will be more black and white than color, as well as that aqua (your blue) and pink than yellow or green.

Your way of auditioning fabrics is brilliant! I am going to try to remember that. In the circle, the bottom half does have more of the white, but also more of the yellow. Try increasing the pinks and blues while decreasing the yellow.
    Estimated yardages: Neutrals 3 yds; Black, 2 1/4 yds; Pink, 2 yds; Aqua (blue), 2 1/3 yds; Yellow, 1 5/8 yds (without binding); and Green, 1 1/2 yds. Try rearranging the scrap pieces closer to that ratio and see what you think.

I don't generally care for a black background. Or maybe I do. Calico Gals in Syracuse is doing a block of the month (pattern is free if you subscribe to their e-mail); the background is black and the fabrics are solids - which I also do not like... But it is stunning http://www.snapretail.com/retailer/T...onsumer/616393 Maybe I DO like black and solids, lol. Alternatively, I do think a deep purple or dark navy would work.
    Old 11-11-2014, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
    Here are my fabric choices. I was on the fence about doing this mystery until I remembered a bunch of fat quarter bundles I got at Tuesday Morning a while back. The blues and greens were perfect. Then I found the yellow and a few pinks, plus more greens and blues and I was in. I was thinking of doing all plain black and plain white but then found all these blacks. Still don't know about the neutrals. I wanted to pull mostly from my stash but don't have many neutrals that I like with this mix. At this point it's still a work in progress. Might just have to dig a little deeper.
    I love your choice of fabric colours.

Now a question: which table do you have for your machine? And how do you like it?
    Old 11-11-2014, 01:24 PM

OK - hope this is not a stupid question but can someone please post the number of the color swatch cards for this Mystery Quilt. I see the page on Bonnies blog but can't make out the numbers on the cards. If they're posted somewhere else on the blog I haven't come across them. I sent a few pm's to folks from this thread but haven't gotten any responses yet. Thanks for any help with this.
    Old 11-11-2014, 02:06 PM

craftyone27, did you click on the link in the first post, and then click on 'Introduction'? Bonnie gives all the information, plus the inspirational hotel photos. The yellow card is 2008-1, lightest shade; green is 6005-10, darkest shade; blue is 5008-10, 2 lightest shades; pink is 1003-1, 2 darkest shades.

peaceandjoy, yes, that is the yellow we discussed. Thank you for reminding me about the proportions! I will try some adjustments.
    Old 11-11-2014, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by craftyone27
    OK - hope this is not a stupid question but can someone please post the number of the color swatch cards for this Mystery Quilt. I see the page on Bonnies blog but can't make out the numbers on the cards. If they're posted somewhere else on the blog I haven't come across them. I sent a few pm's to folks from this thread but haven't gotten any responses yet. Thanks for any help with this.
    Download the Introduction and you'll find them. Although I had to read carefully because they're included in the text rather than being listed all together. Don't have my cards right now or I'd just give you the numbers.
    Old 11-11-2014, 02:10 PM

And I see Joe'mom beat me to it.
    Old 11-11-2014, 02:15 PM

Yellow - 2008-1A 1B 1C Teal - 5008 - 10A 10B 10C Pink - 1003 - 1A 1B 1C Green - 6005 - 10A 10B 10C Hope this helps.